• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Several TCU players battling for open starting spots

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]FWST: Several TCU players battling for open starting spots[/SIZE]

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

The battle for the TCU starting offensive right tackle position has narrowed a bit.

Junior Jeff Olson, who had been listed atop the depth chart entering camp, was on the sidelines with mononucleosis. Coach Gary Patterson said it was up to the doctors to say when Olson would be available for practice.

That leaves senior Zach Roth and redshirt freshman John Wooldridge as the front-runners for the spot. ...

joefrog91

Hicks with an ice pack on his knee doesn't sound good. However, I really do believe Dawson and Boyce are going to step up this year. But I still hope Hicks is okay.

Did we ever actually throw to Skye last year or just run him on the sweep? It would be great if we could use him as more of a vertical threat.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Jake doing his CGP imitation:

"We've got to grow up some young guys and we have to grow them up quick," center Jake Kirkpatrick said. "It all depends on how bad they want it. We worked hard this summer and now it's time to transfer it over to the field. We need some guys to grow up at that position to have some depth."

Houston Frog

CGP's got these guys trained, doesn't he.....

"We've got to grow up some young guys and we have to grow them up quick," center Jake Kirkpatrick said.

As far as Sye Dawson is concerned, I'm pretty excited about his potential, and not just as a end around/sweep kind of guy, but as a legit WR. Stefan Stevenson mentioned him as one of the main players in this write-up, and JC over on PM called him the offensive star of the practice and said he really developed over the off-season. We all know about his speed, but apparently he has very good hands and is turning into quite a route runner.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 08:31 AM) [snapback]608267[/snapback]
Jake doing his CGP imitation:

"We've got to grow up some young guys and we have to grow them up quick," center Jake Kirkpatrick said. "It all depends on how bad they want it. We worked hard this summer and now it's time to transfer it over to the field. We need some guys to grow up at that position to have some depth."

Damn, you beat me to it

PhillyFrog

Skye's a little on the short side. Might need to roll the ball to him downfield.

QUOTE(GuardianFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 01:26 PM) [snapback]608262[/snapback]
Did we ever actually throw to Skye last year or just run him on the sweep? It would be great if we could use him as more of a vertical threat.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Skye's a little on the short side. Might need to roll the ball to him downfield.

Perhaps, but in most coverage schemes, a back coming out will be covered by a LB. Mismatch. If we start him in the backfield and motion him into the slot, either a LB or a Safety covers. Again, mismatch. Speed kills, and just having Dawson in there will cause all kinds of problems for teams.

Just another weapon among many... :biggrin:

Houston Frog

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 09:50 AM) [snapback]608332[/snapback]
Perhaps, but in most coverage schemes, a back coming out will be covered by a LB. Mismatch. If we start him in the backfield and motion him into the slot, either a LB or a Safety covers. Again, mismatch. Speed kills, and just having Dawson in there will cause all kinds of problems for teams.

I think he's going to be utilized as more of a pure WR this year

BrewingFrog

Wherever they use him, he will strike fear into the hearts of Defensive Coordinators everywhere.

I just like the utility of having somebody that fast moving from position to position creating confusion in the defensive schemes. They only have so many timeouts...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(PhillyFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 09:04 AM) [snapback]608297[/snapback]

Kerley's no giant, either. Both are listed at 5-10. Dawson's a lot thinner, though.

fdub

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 09:50 AM) [snapback]608332[/snapback]

gotta love it. Start the season #7?

We were thrilled to finish 2008 ranked at #7.

JugbandFrog

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 6 2010, 01:37 PM) [snapback]608273[/snapback]
CGP's got these guys trained, doesn't he.....

"We've got to grow up some young guys and we have to grow them up quick," center Jake Kirkpatrick said.

Haha. Yes he does! I love it.

Seriously though, Mono? Who gets mono anymore?

PhillyFrog

A DC would either put a safety on Dawson or rotate a corner down on him, depending on the formation. No LB in the country could keep up with him. The most interesting effect of having an elite speed guy coming off the edge is on the running game. It can turn a 7-yard carry to a 70-yard carry in a blink.

Imagine having him back in 2000 when we had Tomlinson.

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 02:50 PM) [snapback]608332[/snapback]

BrewingFrog

Yes, yes! So then, who does the DC move to cover the wideout? Heh... Confusion. Panic. Chaos. Blown assignments...

Think of the long pass to him out of Wild Frog. Utter and complete panic.

jake102

QUOTE(jugbandxmas @ Aug 6 2010, 11:30 AM) [snapback]608408[/snapback]
Seriously though, Mono? Who gets mono anymore?

About three years ago during my freshman year I got sick. After two months of straight sickness, taking an incomplete in my first semester, and losing 40 pounds I can tell you that mono is still around. I was eating once every 2-3 days... it was pretty awesome.

fdub

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Aug 6 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]608431[/snapback]
Think of the long pass to him out of Wild Frog. Utter and complete panic.

or that double-reverse thingy we saw at BYU...

...only question is, can Kerley throw it that far? (and off his back foot, like in Provo?)

Latest posts