• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Patterson's talks shift from linebacker to secondary

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Patterson's talks shift from linebacker to secondary

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

A couple springs ago TCU coach Gary Patterson was all over a young crop of linebackers trying to learn the Horned Frogs' defensive scheme.

The group included Tank Carder, Tanner Brock, Kris Gardner, Kenny Cain and Greg Burks. Carder, who has missed spring practice while recuperating from shoulder surgery, will be the lone senior; the others will all be juniors, including Brock, who enrolled early in Jan. 2009.

"When all those linebackers were young, my conversations were with all of the them," said Patterson, who could have easily replaced the word conversation with scrutiny. "I've been very excited about all those guys [this spring]. All of my talks and communication [this spring] have been mostly with the safeties." ...

Smitty

does any one know if there will be programs available tomorrow? I'm quite the opposite of a roster guru so, if not, I'm probably going to have to print out some literature at home before I show up.

Raw Frog

To be safe, I am going to print the roster out from gofrogs.com.
I have had a terrible case of Frog Fever and it will be food for the soul to see us back on the field.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
"Today was a perfect practice."

I've certainly never heard GaryPa say that before.

Maponga tweeted that it was a great practice yesterday and I know they had to be getting sick of spring drills so looks like it was exactly what they needed.

I think 2 more after the spring game.

Been a good spring for several players and Grant is one that is going to be exciting to watch the next few years. He's a burner with great agility on the field and a huge cheerleader from the sidelines. Definitely one you want on your team (as are all these guys).

Frog DJ

We've driven to Fort Worth to attend the Spring Game the last several years, but ecto and I won't be able to make it this time.

His wife is very pregnant with his first child (a boy) - my first grandchild, and she's due to deliver literally any minute, now.

That's an event we can ill-afford to miss, so detailed accounts from those who do go would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all the players. Here's hoping for some big plays and no injuries.

Go Frogs!

jake102

so detailed accounts from those who do go would be greatly appreciated.

Go Frogs!

I'm sure I'll write up a fairly detailed account... I might slip in my plans for the night at the end, Rick style.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
We've driven to Fort Worth to attend the Spring Game the last several years, but ecto and I won't be able to make it this time.

His wife is very pregnant with his first child (a boy) - my first grandchild, and she's due to deliver literally any minute, now.

That's an event we can ill-afford to miss, so detailed accounts from those who do go would be greatly appreciated.

Go Frogs!

Yea you can miss the second child's birth, but no way the first. :tongue:

TCUFrogs

does any one know if there will be programs available tomorrow? I'm quite the opposite of a roster guru so, if not, I'm probably going to have to print out some literature at home before I show up.

There are usually single sheets handed out for these. But remember, this is more of a practice/scrimmage with a Coach P purpose for the team rather than a big promotion like at other schools. It's about getting better and growing in the TCU program. So, don't expect all the bells and whistles like you see on TV for a real game. Just the opposite. There are only a certain number of allowed NCAA practices in the spring, so Coach P uses this as part of his plan.

Other schools might waste the practice by showing off on TV.

Houston Frog

That is not good news on Johnny Fobb.

It's obviously not ideal news, but Fobbs has gotten a decent amount of playing time and has been in the program for a while now, so I imagine he knows the system just fine. And Patterson said that he will be back in time for two-a-days, so I'm not too worried about it.