• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Patterson cancels National Signing Day press conference

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Patterson cancels National Signing Day press conference

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

TCU coach Gary Patterson has canceled Wednesday’s National Signing Day press conference.

The media relations department sent the update at 9:27 p.m. Tuesday night. TCU blamed the cancellation on several recruits not announcing their choices until “mid-to-late afternoon.” Patterson, as he has in the past, was supposed to address the media on his latest recruiting class at 1 p.m. The current class is rated No. 21 in the nation by 247sports.

The Horned Frogs have a class of 22, which includes four with verbal commitments. Late announcements in the past haven’t forced the press conference to be canceled. TCU signed 18 of the players in December. Four of those players enrolled in January.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article198767074.html

BABYFACE

Someone doesn’t want him to answer questions re: lawsuit. Which means he’s hired an attorney.
There are multiple reasons here and that is probably one of them. It is a signing day press conference, but a few bozo’s from the media will turn into something else.

TCUdirtbag

There are multiple reasons here and that is probably one of them. It is a signing day press conference, but a few bozo’s from the media will turn into something else.

The lawsuit is news and he hasn’t made any statement. If he has a presser it’s fair game. That’s not anyone being a “bozo.” It would be journalists doing their job. He’ll eventually have to face it, probably make a brief statement and then repeat “no comment” over and over, but (1) his lawyers probably haven’t had time to prep him and (2) he doesn’t want to distract from what today is about. No need to vilify the press here. And no need to pretend the purpose of the cancellation isn’t exactly what it is.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
The lawsuit is news and he hasn’t made any statement. If he has a presser it’s fair game. That’s not anyone being a “bozo.” It would be journalists doing their job. He’ll eventually have to face it, probably make a brief statement and then repeat “no comment” over and over, but (1) his lawyers probably haven’t had time to prep him and (2) he doesn’t want to distract from what today is about. No need to vilify the press here. And no need to pretend the purpose of the cancellation isn’t exactly what it is.

Its not necessarily fair game

Media relations can set ground rules and ask that questions be limited to recruiting. Questions that don't relate to the topic can be ignored.

Or if asked, GP can easily say that he cannot comment on that matter. He does that all the time when asked questions about players, grades, injuries, etc.

BABYFACE

The lawsuit is news and he hasn’t made any statement. If he has a presser it’s fair game. That’s not anyone being a “bozo.” It would be journalists doing their job.
It is National signing day and the reason for the press conference. If it was a weekly press conference, then it would be expected that lawsuit questions would be asked. TCU could reach out to the press to let them know they cannot comment at this time on the lawsuit, but it wouldn’t stop some from turning the signing day press conference into a mockery of signing day.

As for journalists doing their jobs, that stopped in the last decade. How come a journalist ignore allegations and findings that don’t align with their personal beliefs and dismiss? But when the same scenario happens to align with their beliefs, they are like a rapid dog and speculate without verifying thru multiple sources.

Dirt, I like you and would like to throw a few beers back with you, but disagree pertaining to media. What passes for journalism today is not journalism IMO. It pains me to say that.

I used to enjoy the evening national news. I used to read multiple newspapers. I will watch a little local news and read local news blurbs but not much else. I trust my fellow posters here much more than I do of the media.

BankerFrog

It is National signing day and the reason for the press conference. If it was a weekly press conference, then it would be expected that lawsuit questions would be asked. TCU could reach out to the press to let them know they cannot comment at this time on the lawsuit, but it wouldn’t stop some from turning the signing day press conference into a mockery of signing day.

As for journalists doing their jobs, that stopped in the last decade. How come a journalist ignore allegations and findings that don’t align with their personal beliefs and dismiss? But when the same scenario happens to align with their beliefs, they are like a rapid dog and speculate without verifying thru multiple sources.

Dirt, I like you and would like to throw a few beers back with you, but disagree pertaining to media. What passes for journalism today is not journalism IMO. It pains me to say that.

I used to enjoy the evening national news. I used to read multiple newspapers. I will watch a little local news and read local news blurbs but not much else. I trust my fellow posters here much more than I do of the media.

his is so small-minded.

"How was the lawsuit brought about against you by Kolby Listenbee affected your recruiting?" is a legitimate question and takes into account both the lawsuit and national signing day.

BABYFACE

his is so small-minded.

"How was the lawsuit brought about against you by Kolby Listenbee affected your recruiting?" is a legitimate question and takes into account both the lawsuit and national signing day.
I don’t think it is small minded but I get your point. You also posed a question in a legitimate and relevant form. You have more faith in the media than me, to ask questions that are legitimate and relevant.

Frog DJ

As an active member of the media for over 50 years who has interviewed literally thousands of newsmakers from every walk of life I can confirm that people who regularly hold press conferences or grant interviews fully expect journalists/interviewers to ask tough questions that may not be directly tied to the purpose for which the press conference or interview was intended.

I can't even begin to estimate the number of times I've asked someone such a question and had them respond with, "My lawyers have advised me not to talk about that," or "I don't really want to comment on that, but here's what I can tell you..." In 99.9% of the cases, the person being interviewed isn't offended in the least, and he or she simply views this tactic as part of the process.

The only time interviewees get twisted up is when the person asking the questions completely ignores the original purpose for the interview, or tries to blindside the subject (like Rosie O'Donnell with Tom Selleck, or Katie Couric with Sarah Palin). People who routinely deal with the press develop the ability to deflect or redirect the conversation in the direction they desire.

The first time I met CGP was at the Touchdown Club of Houston, and a good friend of mine had picked him up at the airport and brought him to the luncheon. When he introduced me to the coach my friend mentioned my status as a member of the media, and I could see a cloud of distrust pass over CGP's face. As we talked he realized I was a Frog fan and let down his guard.

I know CGP doesn't trust some members of the media, but he knows how to handle himself, and he's perfectly capable of drawing his boundaries without having to cancel an entire press conference to avoid questions about Kolby Listenbee's lawsuit. I have absolutely no inside information concerning the reason for this cancellation, but I seriously doubt he's worried about that.

Just my nickel minus three pennies...

Go Frogs!

TCUdirtbag

As an active member of the media for over 50 years who has interviewed literally thousands of newsmakers from every walk of life I can confirm that people who regularly hold press conferences or grant interviews fully expect journalists/interviewers to ask tough questions that may not be directly tied to the purpose for which the press conference or interview was intended.

I can't even begin to estimate the number of times I've asked someone such a question and had them respond with, "My lawyers have advised me not to talk about that," or "I don't really want to comment on that, but here's what I can tell you..." In 99.9% of the cases, the person being interviewed isn't offended in the least, and he or she simply views this tactic as part of the process.

The only time interviewees get twisted up is when the person asking the questions completely ignores the original purpose for the interview, or tries to blindside the subject (like Rosie O'Donnell with Tom Selleck, or Katie Couric with Sarah Palin). People who routinely deal with the press develop the ability to deflect or redirect the conversation in the direction they desire.

The first time I met CGP was at the Touchdown Club of Houston, and a good friend of mine had picked him up at the airport and brought him to the luncheon. When he introduced me to the coach my friend mentioned my status as a member of the media, and I could see a cloud of distrust pass over CGP's face. As we talked he realized I was a Frog fan and let down his guard.

I know CGP doesn't trust some members of the media, but he knows how to handle himself, and he's perfectly capable of drawing his boundaries without having to cancel an entire press conference to avoid questions about Kolby Listenbee's lawsuit. I have absolutely no inside information concerning the reason for this cancellation, but I seriously doubt he's worried about that.

Just my nickel minus three pennies...

Go Frogs!

Great post but I don’t think anyone insinuated CGP cancelled the presser of his own volition due to the suit or because he’s worried about facing questions. I’m sure the attorneys just insisted he not do a public media availability yet.

Nick Danger

Media relations can set ground rules and ask that questions be limited to recruiting. Questions that don't relate to the topic can be ignored.

Or if asked, GP can easily say that he cannot comment on that matter. He does that all the time when asked questions about players, grades, injuries, etc.
Perhaps his lawyers could limit him to answering 14 "Yes or No" questions! ;)

BankerFrog

I don’t think it is small minded but I get your point. You also posed a question in a legitimate and relevant form. You have more faith in the media than me, to ask questions that are legitimate and relevant.

That's fair.... I could be giving the media a bit too much credit haha

Mean Purple

Which is why it was likely canceled for the reason given. If there was concern that you are still waiting on guys to sign, then you don't do presser.
He would just no comment regarding the bogus lawsuit.

Froggy Style

Not really fair to the kids to have a potentially confrontational interview when we all know the only soundbite was going to be "paper tigers" which the general public doesn't really understand. Might as well just go with some sweet highlights narrated by our play by play guy...which is better than any presser.

Latest posts