• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Patterson and TCU can't afford to settle this one

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Patterson and TCU can't afford to settle this one

BY Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH – Addressing 20 members of the media, Gary Patterson never looked at the typed, folded, laminated piece of paper that featured highlighted sentences and bullet points that he clutched in his hands.

On this “cheat sheet” was a sentence that read, “We take the high road.”

Following a spring practice on Sunday afternoon, the TCU football coach did just that when he publicly addressed the lawsuit filed by former Horned Frogs receiver Kolby Listenbeeagainst Patterson, TCU, the Big 12 and TCU's Board of Trustees.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article203474474.html

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Says GP who is known to say dumb things, didn’t.

Pretty insightful from a guy who is allegedly educated and paid to not say dumb things, but all too often does...

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Says GP who is known to say dumb things, didn’t.

Pretty insightful from a guy who is allegedly educated and paid to not say dumb things, but all too often does...
Everyone says dumb things from time to time. Let he who has never done so, cast the first stone.

However, I sometimes wonder if these reporters misinterpret "Gary Speak"and see it as a dumb comment.. I've sat in plenty of his press conferences and heard him say things that leave you scratching your head. Not that it was a wrong thing so say, but he sometimes attaches a meaning to something that sounds odd.

For example, this was never actually said but is representative of a "Gary-ism"

Question: " Coach, what do you expect to see out of the Arkansas defense this week?"

Gary-ism: "Well if you fry a duck long enough, you get chicken soup."

Everyone in the room will nod approvingly but 10 seconds later will ask themselves.."what die he just say?"

The meaning is known only to Gary and perhaps a few others but no one ever challenges him or asks him to explain that one.

GP is too smart to give answers that leave the school, the program and himself open to harm but he can give oddball answers at times and I think that is what the article refers to, because one of those answers leaves too much to interpretation

Thats my 0.02

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
Everyone says dumb things from time to time. Let he who has never done so, cast the first stone.

However, I sometimes wonder if these reporters misinterpret "Gary Speak"and see it as a dumb comment.. I've sat in plenty of his press conferences and heard him say things that leave you scratching your head. Not that it was a wrong thing so say, but he sometimes attaches a meaning to something that sounds odd.

Question: " Coach, what do you expect to see out of the Arkansas defense this week?"

Everyone in the room will nod approvingly but 10 seconds later will ask themselves.."what die he just say?"

The meaning is known only to Gary and perhaps a few others but no one ever challenges him or asks him to explain that one.

GP is too smart to give answers that leave the school, the program and himself open to harm but he can give oddball answers at times and I think that is what the article refers to, because one of those answers leaves too much to interpretation

Thats my 0.02

As someone who also sat in several of those pressers years ago, I think sometimes he's alot like me where he will be talking and then a different train of thought comes along, and he will veer off. So he hasn't completely answered the original question.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
As someone who also sat in several of those pressers years ago, I think sometimes he's alot like me where he will be talking and then a different train of thought comes along, and he will veer off. So he hasn't completely answered the original question.
Thats a good explanation.

Its also the sign of a very active mind and one that is thinking 2-3 steps ahead of everyone else

My train of thought derails all the damned time but for me its a sign of old age

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Thats my 0.02

Thats my 0.02

That’s kind of how I see GP too.

My point was why does a reporter like Muck point out Gary’s foibles, when he is allegedly a trained journalist that also says some pretty stupid stuff.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
That’s kind of how I see GP too.

My point was why does a reporter like Muck point out Gary’s foibles, when he is allegedly a trained journalist that also says some pretty stupid stuff.
Can't answer that one but I do think Mack is pretty fair with us, despite what people think and he is spot on about TCU not settling this case. If they were going to have done that, it would have happened at mediation. Mack said it best. "this is a money grab"

Mean Purple

Thats my 0.02
Some in the press, maybe not Mac, but others have the desire to put the program up to it's neck in bogus gators. That's mission speak for "distraction from the mission".

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Can't answer that one but I do think Mack is pretty fair with us, despite what people think and he is spot on about TCU not settling this case. If they were going to have done that, it would have happened at mediation. Mack said it best. "this is a money grab"

Mac seems to vacilate, this time he says one thing, the last time he calls GP a bully. He just seems a bit like Mussolini’s army, he kind of goes with who seems to ahead.

flyfishingfrog

Mac seems to vacilate, this time he says one thing, the last time he calls GP a bully. He just seems a bit like Mussolini’s army, he kind of goes with who seems to ahead.
I do think he is fair or really unfair with us - I think he is a really big putz who has a career that now depends more on clicks than on his talent level and unfortunately for all of us - that aligns well with the fact that he was the dork in school growing up and wasn’t popular enough, so now he can align his need to belittle those that succeed where he failed with his requirement to gain attention by being “controversial “

How anyone ever gave him the job under the overall idea that someone would really care about his “opinion” is beyond me - but then we were dumb enough to pay him $4k for a semester to stand in front of our students and make them dumber - so we are not any better I guess other than his adjunct tenure was short from what I understand