• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Matt Purke May Return to TCU, But He Needs to Take the Money & Pitch

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Matt Purke May Return to TCU, But He Needs to Take the Money & Pitch

By Big Steaming Pile

FORT WORTH - According to the multiple people in and around TCU's baseball program and a pair of MLB scouts, TCU left handed pitcher Matt Purke's demands aren't changing. He's going to again be a first round draft pick despite coming off a mediocre sophomore season. And "mediocre" by the standards he set as a high school pitcher, and a college freshman.

Despite the fact he's struggled with some arm stuff - absolutely no one I talked to on or off the record said Purke is or has been injured - he wants something around $7.2 to $7.5 million. He's likely to be offered in the area of $4 to $5 million.

Unless Purke can show in his start on Saturday in the NCAA regional, and then gets the chance to pitch one or two more times, that his arm is sound and he is as dominant as he was as a freshman he's not going to get that much. And this assumes he does go tomorrow; it's TBD as of right now. If he does, it will be his final start before the MLB draft on Monday. ...

sous vide

The amount of interest that others show in the private wishes, hopes, dreams, and desires of Matt and his family is more than a bit sickening.

Leave the kid and his family the hell alone to make their own life decisions :angry: .

Limp Lizard

Funny how the local media goes to ridiculous heights not be be "homers," then at the other extreme is the Salt Lake City press for which "homer" would mean they would have to tone down their praise of Utah and BYU...by a lot.

FROGDADDY

The amount of interest that others show in the private wishes, hopes, dreams, and desires of Matt and his family is more than a bit sickening.

Leave the kid and his family the hell alone to make their own life decisions :angry: .

Not trying to start an argument here, but I completely disagree. If you aspire to be a professional athlete and hold yourself up as one the best at what you do then this is one of the things you have to deal with. It will never change.

And on top of that the article is basically dead on. You can disagree with Mac's opinion on what Matt should do but his understanding of the situation and the risks involved in returning to school are 110% correct. Anyone who has a problem with this is simply trying too hard to dislike Big Steaming Pile IMO.

Pharm Frog

Not trying to start an argument here, but I completely disagree. If you aspire to be a professional athlete and hold yourself up as one the best at what you do then this is one of the things you have to deal with. It will never change.

And on top of that the article is basically dead on. You can disagree with Mac's opinion on what Matt should do but his understanding of the situation and the risks involved in returning to school are 110% correct. Anyone who has a problem with this is simply trying too hard to dislike Big Steaming Pile IMO.

I don't know this Engel fella and haven't read enough of his stuff to form an opinion as to whether he is an honest broker of information and analysis or a self-serving catalyst for controversy, but as for this particular opinion piece, I'm gonna have to agree 100% with Frogdaddy on this. I realize we're not taking a poll, but I agree on both points: market value is something that will necessarily be debated by fans and media when anyone aspires to make a living as an athlete and whether we agree or not with the opinion about what to do, this article effectively describes the uncertainties associated with delayed entry into professional baseball. Mac could have strengthened his argument by listing just a few of those "plenty of guys" who turned down sure money and never returned to that type of payday. Normally, I would be glad to give him some names, but apparently several of us here believe he already receives sufficient content from KF.C.

SnoopFrogs11

It's Matt Purke's life and he will do what he thinks is best for him. We all have times in our life where we try to figuire things out for ourselves.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Yep. As much as I'd like for him to return, if he is drafted in the first round and offered $4M-$5 million he should really take it. Though having talked a little to his dad and seen him no doubt he and Matt will make the decision they believe is best for Matt.

Heck, it might be Matt really likes college and wants to come back, especially if he they continue to command a higher figure. But after this season, they really don't have a hammer to negotiate with, other than he's a lefty with high potential. There will be a lot of scrutiny tonight.