• The KillerFrogs

FWST: In spring, hard to say what Horned Frogs football will be like this fall

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/11/21...hat-horned.html

[SIZE=14pt]In spring, hard to say what Horned Frogs football will be like this fall[/SIZE]

By GIL L eBRETON
glebreton@star-telegram.com

Spring football games have changed. Coaches, it seems, haven't.

Nick Saban's first spring game as Alabama coach in 2007 attracted a loyal Crimson Tide audience of 92,138.

For a spring football game.

They must have been expecting Saban to multiply some loaves and fishes.

ESPN televised this year's Texas spring game. North Carolina got the star treatment Saturday.

Coming soon, no doubt: Hard knocks: Spring break with the USC Trojans.

And then there was LSU two weeks ago, having players switch teams in the middle of its spring game. Good luck with that scouting film, opponents.

But coaches haven't changed. Gary Patterson's 10th spring game as TCU head coach Saturday wasn't as much a game as it was a chance for the Horned Frogs to walk the Hollywood red carpet. Most of the estimated 7,500 spectators seemed to just be happy to see the Frogs playing football again.

If there were any trick plays or secret formations, forgive me. I must have been out buying a hot dog.

Patterson admitted that the Frogs were only serving from the 4 p.m., 65-and-older menu. And even that, he confessed, he only half-watched.

"I won't have anything to say until I watch the film," the coach said.

Me neither. But I did see Heisman Trophy candidate quarterback Andy Dalton throw several passes, some of which his talented receivers actually caught. Senior-to-be Jimmy Young appeared comfortable, it seemed, in his new position as a slot receiver.

And if you're worried about Marcus Cannon moving over from right tackle to the left side, don't be. Dalton isn't.

But enough about the TCU offense, which will return nine starters from a unit that finished fifth in the nation in scoring and rushing.

The real drama of TCU's 15 spring practices is -- and will always be -- the defense.

Concern about his defense a year ago prompted Patterson to summon a special meeting.

"We thought we were terrible on defense last year at the end of spring," Patterson said. "We knew we had speed, but we didn't hunt together."

That defense, as it turned out, ended up leading the nation for the second year in a row and took the Frogs to the Fiesta Bowl.

And this spring, Patterson suggested Saturday, he is just as displeased.

"We're little bit old," he said, "even though we lost some players. But we're not where we want to be.

"If I thought we were where we're supposed to be, I wouldn't have gone 140 plays today. So we still feel like we have positions that have to grow up."

Without doubt, two lingering concerns are going to be the health of linebackers Tank Carder and Kris Gardner. Both sat out Saturday with shoulder injuries.

As for Carder, Patterson said, "He'll be back in the fall. They did surgery, but he'll be back by August."

The Frogs lost starting cornerbacks Rafael Priest and Nick Sanders, but there was plenty of talent already waiting on the depth chart. Greg McCoy and Jason Teague seem ready to step in.

In the meantime, there will be no shortage of motivation, Patterson said, even after last year's undefeated regular season.

"We talked, and they're disappointed," Patterson said. "We'll find out this fall whether [the Fiesta Bowl defeat] made them hungry or not.

"I wasn't pleased with the way we played overall as a team the last three games of the season. After the Utah game, I didn't think we played with urgency.

"If we don't get back to playing with urgency the way we played in the Utah game, we're going to be sadly disappointed. Right now we're a 6-6, 8-4 football team. We'll see where we go from there."

Yes, he actually said 6-6.

Coaches never change.

Just guessing here, but when Patterson sits down to look at the spring game tape today, he's going to see that Jurell Thompson played well at safety, that Aundre Dean can better help the team at tailback, and that Braylon Broughton, Stansly Maponga and Ross Forrest all are going to deserve playing time in the defensive line in the fall.

Backup quarterback? Undecided, Patterson said. That's not the kind of thing he would announce in the spring, anyway.

Deep snapper? Position available. Clint Gresham is going to be missed.

The specter of unfinished business should be a year-long motivating factor, Patterson said.

"I think you start with last January," he said. "We worked hard. We've had pretty good chemistry. But you know what? There's still the saying that good guys finish last. When you step on the field, you can't be good guys. You've got to have intensity. You've got to go and take ballgames.

"And we're going to make sure we get that when we start in the fall."

Yes, spring football has changed. Coaches -- one of them, at least -- haven't.

GIL LeBRETON, 817-390-7760

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
"If I thought we were where we're supposed to be, I wouldn't have gone 140 plays today. So we still feel like we have positions that have to grow up."

Me and the bro were surprised at home long he let them play, because in the past GP kept the P-W game to a timed one hour, get 'em off the field.

Of course, this year is also different with there still being three practices, wheras usually the P-W game is the last one and key injuries wewre biggest concern.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(SayGoodbyeToTheBCS @ Apr 11 2010, 08:38 AM) [snapback]543093[/snapback]
Why aren't we hearing more about Dwight's injury?

My guess would be that it's because unlike many on here GP has not annointed him as the second coming of Earl Campbell just yet and isn't that concerned about an injury to a kid who is likely somewhere around 5th on the depth chart.

Baja Frog

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Apr 11 2010, 08:16 AM) [snapback]543102[/snapback]
My guess would be that it's because unlike many on here GP has not annointed him as the second coming of Earl Campbell just yet and isn't that concerned about an injury to a kid who is likely somewhere around 5th on the depth chart.

You would be surprised to know what GP thinks about DS and it isn't far off from what a lot of us on here feel as well. GP obviously isn't going to come out in public and say it and certainly is going to make sure that DS doesn't know it (so his big head doesn't get to himI

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Baja Frog (Viperfrog) @ Apr 11 2010, 09:34 AM) [snapback]543107[/snapback]
You would be surprised to know what GP thinks about DS and it isn't far off from what a lot of us on here feel as well. GP obviously isn't going to come out in public and say it and certainly is going to make sure that DS doesn't know it (so his big head doesn't get to himI

It wouldn't surprise me at all if GP thought the kid was really good. It would surprise me if GP thought him being injured was catastrophic to our 2010 season.

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 11 2010, 07:17 AM) [snapback]543074[/snapback]
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/11/21...hat-horned.html

Without doubt, two lingering concerns are going to be the health of linebackers Tank Carder and Kris Gardner. Both sat out Saturday with shoulder injuries.

As for Carder, Patterson said, "He'll be back in the fall. They did surgery, but he'll be back by August."

Best news I have heard out of the spring practice. Now I just hope Dwight Smith's injury isnt as severe as some other sites are discussing.

JugbandFrog

QUOTE(Forza Frogs @ Apr 11 2010, 03:30 PM) [snapback]543119[/snapback]
Best news I have heard out of the spring practice. Now I just hope Dwight Smith's injury isnt as severe as some other sites are discussing.

YES indeed!

Gunner

QUOTE(SayGoodbyeToTheBCS @ Apr 11 2010, 01:38 PM) [snapback]543093[/snapback]
Why aren't we hearing more about Dwight's injury?

Notice LeBreton got in his comment on his beloved LSU....

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 11 2010, 07:17 AM) [snapback]543074[/snapback]
"But we're not where we want to be."

Enjoyed getting more plays this year. Great day for the program, for the most part.