• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If Alabama’s Jalen Hurts decides to transfer ... TCU could be “perfect landing spot”

FrogLifeYo

I would love to have him hear because of his abilities but I think it could have massive PR implications as well. The coverage around TCU would be unprecedented. It would be the equivalent of spending 1Mil on a PR campaign which I believe could do more good for TCU football then imaginable. Talk about raising the National profile of the program! Would be huge

ifrog

I would love to have him hear because of his abilities but I think it could have massive PR implications as well. The coverage around TCU would be unprecedented. It would be the equivalent of spending 1Mil on a PR campaign which I believe could do more good for TCU football then imaginable. Talk about raising the National profile of the program! Would be huge

Definitely.

Moose Stuff

I think he would be an amazing influence on/example for Rogers and Duggan as well.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Does he solely use the silent count due to his problems?

Purp

We have a serious shot. We need every coach and player putting on the full court press here. Would be a program altering moment. We are a big time factor here and need to win this battle
I would love for Hurts to come here as much as anyone and I think we definitely need what he can bring, but I think "program altering moment" may be setting the expectations for him way too high if he does come. He's a strong QB, but I don't think he'd be the best we've ever had and I don't think 1 year with him would do much to alter the long term trajectory of the program.

FrogLifeYo

I would love for Hurts to come here as much as anyone and I think we definitely need what he can bring, but I think "program altering moment" may be setting the expectations for him way too high if he does come. He's a strong QB, but I don't think he'd be the best we've ever had and I don't think 1 year with him would do much to alter the long term trajectory of the program.
Hurts profile meens it could be program altering even if he doesn’t lead us to a title. There’s no doubt that him picking TCU gives us some national validity we like to complain about not having

Purp

Hurts profile meens it could be program altering even if he doesn’t lead us to a title. There’s no doubt that him picking TCU gives us some national validity we like to complain about not having
I guess I just disagree. Hurts is a guy who lost 2 games out of 28 as Bama starter, but he was never given much credit for being more than a great running QB. He had a great moment in the SEC title game, but that's about it. I think people see Hurts as the best grad xfer QB available, but I don't think anyone expects him to be a Heisman candidate wherever he goes. The comments in this thread seem to expect that type of output. I just don't see it happening.

FrogLifeYo

I guess I just disagree. Hurts is a guy who lost 2 games out of 28 as Bama starter, but he was never given much credit for being more than a great running QB. He had a great moment in the SEC title game, but that's about it. I think people see Hurts as the best grad xfer QB available, but I don't think anyone expects him to be a Heisman candidate wherever he goes. The comments in this thread seem to expect that type of output. I just don't see it happening.
Context Purp....Close you eyes for a moment...Think about Hurt. His accomplishments and his skill sets.....Now stop...take a deep breath and think about the complete pile of [ Finebaum ] QB play we rolled out for 13 games this year...Hurt is a significant upgrade any way you shake it. He doesn’t have to be a heisman candidate to elevate this team

Purp

Context Purp....Close you eyes for a moment...Think about Hurt. His accomplishments and his skill sets.....Now stop...take a deep breath and think about the complete pile of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] QB play we rolled out for 13 games this year...Hurt is a significant upgrade any way you shake it. He doesn’t have to be a heisman candidate to elevate this team
I don't disagree with a word you said here. There is a huge difference, however, between "elevate this team" and "program altering moment" IMO.

SuperTFrog

If he brings us to the playoffs, then I would agree it is program altering. Whether we go to the playoffs or not, I would LOVE to have this guy. I think we win 10-11 games next year with him. All of the pieces are in place.

LawFrog504

I don't disagree with a word you said here. There is a huge difference, however, between "elevate this team" and "program altering moment" IMO.
Let me ask you something. If you can for a moment consider the potential of this defense next year. Length and athleticism on the back end that we have NEVER had before. Speed at LB and the 2 best DT's in the conference. Combine that with 2 of the best RB's in the big 12, the best returning receiver in the conference (all world talent), and hopefully an OL that makes a jump like 16-17, don't you think this could be a near playoff team with a QB at the level of Jalen Hurts? He is mobile, can take off, doesn't make mistakes, and has a solid arm. Turnovers alone would've added 2-3 wins to this dumspter fire this year, you're telling me that a guy who has been through the toughest battles, played in 2 national championships, and played for the best coach of all time can't bring an attitude and way of thinking that gets this program over the top into the CFP? I would argue this program desperately needs an infusion of outside thinking to get us into that next elite category, and a situation like this is a perfect way to do it. His numbers would explode with these weapons in this conference. CFB is all about having things fall your way in a particular year. Let's say best case he comes, shows our guys what it takes to make the top 4, and we get in. Recruiting jumps to another level, maybe 2, we are now taken seriously by the national media, and we have solidifed ourselves as serious players.
I understand i am looking forward to no need to point that out. Merely elaborating how this could be "program altering" as mentioned earlier. The best defense in the conference won't need all that much from the QB position. Give it a 2 time national championship starter? Holy hell

CountryFrog

I hope we get Hurts because our QB situation is obviously a big question mark, especially with JR's situation being a bit of an unknown. But I tend to agree with a lot of what Purp is saying. The expectations some have for him (wherever he goes) seem incredibly high.

LawFrog504

I hope we get Hurts because our QB situation is obviously a big question mark, especially with JR's situation being a bit of an unknown. But I tend to agree with a lot of what Purp is saying. The expectations some have for him (wherever he goes) seem incredibly high.
I hear you. I am just asking y'all to visualize the idea of what his level of play at its current level, without any improvement, would do for this team. What we witnessed from the QB position this year should make us all accomplices to a crime. Simply insert Hurts against Big 12 defenses and imagine how much the team as a whole would improve. I'm not suggesting he will win the Heisman. Simply envision the idea of not turning the ball over and keeping our top ranked defense off the field is all I'm saying.

CountryFrog

I hear you. I am just asking y'all to visualize the idea of what his level of play at its current level, without any improvement, would do for this team. What we witnessed from the QB position this year should make us all accomplices to a crime. Simply insert Hurts against Big 12 defenses and imagine how much the team as a whole would improve. I'm not suggesting he will win the Heisman. Simply envision the idea of not turning the ball over and keeping our top ranked defense off the field is all I'm saying.
I can envision anything you want me to, but I think there's a decent chance that what you and some others consider to be "his level of play" is quite a bit higher than what I think it is.

The truth is, though, none of us really have any idea how good he would be in this offense. Alabama won a lot of games with him at QB but most of those wins were much more due to their defense and running game than their QB. Granted, he was a big part of their running game too.

He might be great in this offense, and I'd love to find out. I just don't think it's quite as simple of a plug and play as you seem to think it is.

Purp

Let me ask you something. If you can for a moment consider the potential of this defense next year. Length and athleticism on the back end that we have NEVER had before. Speed at LB and the 2 best DT's in the conference. Combine that with 2 of the best RB's in the big 12, the best returning receiver in the conference (all world talent), and hopefully an OL that makes a jump like 16-17, don't you think this could be a near playoff team with a QB at the level of Jalen Hurts? He is mobile, can take off, doesn't make mistakes, and has a solid arm. Turnovers alone would've added 2-3 wins to this dumspter fire this year, you're telling me that a guy who has been through the toughest battles, played in 2 national championships, and played for the best coach of all time can't bring an attitude and way of thinking that gets this program over the top into the CFP? I would argue this program desperately needs an infusion of outside thinking to get us into that next elite category, and a situation like this is a perfect way to do it. His numbers would explode with these weapons in this conference. CFB is all about having things fall your way in a particular year. Let's say best case he comes, shows our guys what it takes to make the top 4, and we get in. Recruiting jumps to another level, maybe 2, we are now taken seriously by the national media, and we have solidifed ourselves as serious players.
I understand i am looking forward to no need to point that out. Merely elaborating how this could be "program altering" as mentioned earlier. The best defense in the conference won't need all that much from the QB position. Give it a 2 time national championship starter? Holy hell
Look. I don't know what else to say that I haven't already said. I want him at TCU as badly as anybody. I think he gives us our most likely chance to win next year hands down. But I don't see him blowing the doors off the B12 like so many of you do.

I think he would give us a chance at a conference title and an outside shot at the CFP, but we're talking about a guy who put up the numbers he did with the single most talented supporting cast in all of college football. Without those premium players around him at TCU I'd expect him to come back to the mean a little.

You also act like QB was our only problem this year. We had dropsies all over the darning yard, we had an abysmal running game for much of the year, and our play calling was bewildering. Getting a great QB can mask some of those deficiencies, but it doesn't correct them all.

All I'm saying is expectations in this thread for a Frog team with Hurts seem disparate with reality. Sure, there's a chance your best case scenario comes to fruition, but I think there's a far more likely chance that what would actually happen will be a couple notches below that. Why set expectations so high when the likelihood of them being realized is so low?