• The KillerFrogs

FWST: BCS perception is only what is seen in the score

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: BCS perception is only what is seen in the score

By Gil LeBreton
glebreton@ star-telegram.com

Let me make a suggestion, if you will, to all the coaches and Harrises who vote in the BCS polls:Watch the games. For once.

Don't just read the scores as they crawl by on the bottom of the TV screen.

TCU's 40-35 victory over San Diego State on Saturday didn't pass the crawl test, as somewhat expected.

When the latest BCS standings were unveiled Sunday night on ESPN, the Horned Frogs clung to the No. 3 spot. But voters in the USA Today coaches poll and the Harris Poll knee-jerked Boise State over TCU and into their polls' No. 3.

And I have to ask, "Why?" ...

Atomic Frawg

Everything Gil stated is accurate, but unfortunately, it doesn't matter. We are trying to win public perception by our rules, not there's. And it's not working.

sous vide

Everything Gil stated is accurate, but unfortunately, it doesn't matter. We are trying to win public perception by our rules, not there's. And it's not working.

As I said in another post: The is no conceivable way TCU does not belong in the national championship picture right now along with either 4, 8, or 16 other teams.

We aren't trying to win "public perception" at all. We are trying to overcome the monetary and reputational predispositions defined into the rules themselves. The system needs to die. How many "beauty queens" from the non-privileged community did you see before the modern era? Black QBs even? About as many nonAQs as you'll see in the MNC unless conditions absolutely and utterly force the hands of the powers in control.

Sponger

What we need is Dan Jenkens to write a similar artlicle for publication in SI and then for that to get picked up in sports pages accross the country. People know he's a TCU guy, but he's also, arguably, the most respected sportswriter of the past 25 years and people won't just dismiss it.

Everything Gill said is right on....and won't matter.

nayr150

Great article from Gil. In order to change perceptions, you gotta start somewhere. What better place to start than the hometown newspaper. I've complained before about local coverage in the S-T, but today's coverage was great.

On another note - I didn't read Jimmy Birch's article today but just saw the headline. I know he is a Big 12 shill, but in what way does a win over the 2010 Longhorns prove that any team is for real? Does that mean Iowa State is for real?