• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Backups are pushing TCU linebackers for playing time

tcujsauce

FWIW, watch 87 (Deck) on this play.

Now, Pachall may have gone outside when he wasn't supposed to, or something else may have gone wrong. And 1 play is far from representative of a guy's ability. But....I just wanted to provide this so guys could see Deck.

It is just one play. And it was garbage time. And it looked like CP4 should have gone inside then broke outside.

But yeesh.

Mr. Big

Guess again. Success at Mesquite High School doesn't entitle him to the backup spot as a Freshman. #4 on the depth chart until he proves otherwise. Patterson's comments are just to appease his high school coach for sending him to TCU rather than other options. The politics of college football.
Boykin owns that back-up spot as a true freshman. He's got skills

Mr. Big

Boykin won't hang around to just start his senior year. He'll demand moving positions or leave by his second year. Recruits like him buy into their own high school press clippings too much to be patient.
QB theoretical time table... first person is my guess for starter. I've got Boykin not red-shirting, Matthews red-shirting:

2011 - Pachall (Sophomore)
Brown (Freshman)
Boykin (Redshirt of Freshman)

2012 - Pachall (Junior)
Brown (Sophomore)
Boykin (Sophomore or freshman)
Matthews (Fresman or Redshirt)

2013 - Pachall (Senior)
Brown (Junior)
Boykin (Junior or sophomore)
Matthews (Sophomore or freshman)

2014 - Boykin (Senior or Junior)
Brown (Senior)
Matthews (Junior or Sophomore)

TheSheik

Boykin won't hang around to just start his senior year. He'll demand moving positions or leave by his second year. Recruits like him buy into their own high school press clippings too much to be patient.

You clearly have no axe to grind with Boykin

Pretty ridiculous comments

SuperToad

Have you met him in person? Or are you just speaking out your [Craig James]?

geefrogs

debbie_downer.jpg

steelfrog

Tier 1
LRBWHC is not dumb and sure as hellfire can't be labeled as such by any of the fartknockers on here.

Cain must be a beast.

Message is clear--#1--he ain't happy; #2 no one is safe in their job.

Message recedived and you all are stupid, not LRBWHC, who i incapable of such.

That is all. This thread will be deleted and you all are going to be seized and sent for re-training.

Mr. Big

No ax to grind whatsoever.

TCU's love affair with Andy Dalton is well documented and is well deserved (although I do remember the the bandwagon taking a sharp turn following the Fiesta Bowl). Andy deeply carved his mark into Horned Frog history.

Filling Andy's shoes in many eyes will be an insurmountable task. Casey, to some, is in a very difficult position following Andy's tenure but I feel he is being underrated and of course will be unfairly compared. Wins will take care of that.

I'm just an observer of the trend through the years from high school "stars" coming to college programs with less "team" and more "me" focus. This has beeny exacerbated by the NFL allowing players to come out early and expanded media coverage of high school sports. I feel it's one of the most difficult challenges facing a program like TCU's today where success is attracting better talent, which is a good thing. But along with that talent often times comes an ego and selfish attitude which can be a cancer to a program that has built a 'team" culture.

Personally, the Frogs would be ill advised to leave Trevor in a backup roll until his Sr. year if he makes the transition and proves to be the talent you believe him to be.

Time will tell how "rediculous" my opinion is.

te name='TheSheik' timestamp='1313040067' post='889017']
You clearly have no axe to grind with Boykin

Pretty ridiculous comments
[/quote]

asleep003

Is Boykin not going to be Redshirted this year and in reserve as an emergency(only) 3 deep QB, so he has a minimum 2 years to start if he can beat out Brown... who seems to be having a decent camp. Also, isn't that why Settle was moved back to QB.... not really sure why we only had 2 people taking snaps in the spring .?.

And if Boykin is heads and shoulders above Brown and does beat him out now... then a #2 deep QB should still get a fair amount of playing time, even if Pachall never has to leave a game due to an injury.

Cheers!

Mr. Big

This is the kind of year where the Frogs can't position people by potential (not that you should any year for that matter). I'm not implying that we aren't as good as the previous years as the media would like you to buy into. I'm merely saying that those positions i.e. defensive backfield, QB where we are replacing starters, we better be loading the depth chart from top to bottom by performance and not sliding someone into the number 2, 3 or 4 spot based on potential or hype. You're only one or two plays away from having that weakness or inexperience exposed.
Is Boykin not going to be Redshirted this year and in reserve as an emergency(only) 3 deep QB, so he has a minimum 2 years to start if he can beat out Brown... who seems to be having a decent camp. Also, isn't that why Settle was moved back to QB.... not really sure why we only had 2 people taking snaps in the spring .?.

And if Boykin is heads and shoulders above Brown and does beat him out now... then a #2 deep QB should still get a fair amount of playing time, even if Pachall never has to leave a game due to an injury.

Cheers!