• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Amid such a disappointing season, would TCU move on from either coordinator?

Klaw

i don't believe Sonny wants to replace Gillespie or Briles. It's just a feeling based on articles read/heard.

I'll tell you one thing, this bunch can recruit!

Sonny will never admit it, but the chemistry on this team NEVER materialized. I also think the NIL had a lot to do with this. Trying to manipulate the chemistry, organization, and egos of 18-19-20-year-olds would be a frustrating task, then add money paid, and you have a monster on your hands!

Joe Gillespie is a better coach now because of obvious personnel needs. Slowly improving! And Briles falls into a similar situation. No consistency or offensive statement because, again, not the right personnel. Limited resources cause consistency!

I have heard over and over, Dykes is a good CEO from people who would know of that.
Great coaches understand how to pivot and maximize their players strengths. Neither coordinator has tried to play towards their players strengths, and it has been repeated in game after game.

Last edited:
Great coaches understand how to pivot and maximize their players strengths. Neither coordinator how tried to play towards their players strengths, and it repeated in game after game.
I will say the DC realized his DL was too small to stop the run and for the UT game he had 3 guys that all were over 300 lbs up front a lot of the time. Moving our good young NG outside to DE is about the only effective adjustment I have seen.

Big Frog II

Why is everyone assuming Aledo QB Hauss Hejny isn’t the starter next season? Definitely time to move on from Morris.
I would rather he get a year under his belt in getting stronger and use to the system before throwing him out there. Poor Max got thrown to the wolves his freshman year and did the best he could. His run for your life play was one of his best plays since our OL was suspect.

Frogs1983

i don't believe Sonny wants to replace Gillespie or Briles. It's just a feeling based on articles read/heard.

I'll tell you one thing, this bunch can recruit!

Sonny will never admit it, but the chemistry on this team NEVER materialized. I also think the NIL had a lot to do with this. Trying to manipulate the chemistry, organization, and egos of 18-19-20-year-olds would be a frustrating task, then add money paid, and you have a monster on your hands!

Joe Gillespie is a better coach now because of obvious personnel needs. Slowly improving! And Briles falls into a similar situation. No consistency or offensive statement because, again, not the right personnel. Limited resources cause consistency!

I have heard over and over, Dykes is a good CEO from people who would know of that.

Big jump from high school to D1
Dalton started as a Frosh. Gary yanked him though pretty much every time he made a mistake.

Frogfam4

I will be honest, I do not think Morris is a P5 QB. He has some talent, but not at this level. I also get the feeling he is not a very good team guy. I know that I will get bashed on here, but I do know that he was mad last year about the success Max had, He felt he should have been the guy and was very selfish about that whole situation. I understand that competitors will get upset, but when it becomes a selfishness that is not good. Look at him on the sidelines now. He does not look happy or celebrate success with his team. I feel like the team is better with Hoover, he gives credit to others and takes blame when things do not go right.
Morris did not congratulate Hoover that I saw tonight, but Hoover did go up to morris when he can off the the field. Difference in leadership and selfishness

Frogfam4

I just don’t see the ability or consistency from Hoover/Morris that says they could start on a top 25 team. They‘re good backups, and maybe we have to use them as a bridge until we can get a talented leader at QB, or until Hejny gets seasoned.
TCU definitely needs to improve the starting QB position in the Dec. portal.
I disagree that Hoover will not be good or is not good. Josh Hoover will be a real good QB once he gets this year and an off season under his belt. Morris on the other hand needs to go

Last edited:

06DallasFrog

If you are talking about scrambling and running, he always had that. But Max was a TERRIBLE passer until last season. Before that his passes were thrown well away from defenders like he was scared to death of interceptions. That might be on Patterson. Last year they obviously gave him the green light to go for it.
I think what everyone is talking about, and what I meant when I first posted, is that Max would die on the field for a W. Doesn’t mean all the tools were in place from day 1.

fanatical frog

Why would you think that?

Top, Frogfam4 posted that in response to someone who believes that neither Josh nor Chandler are capable of being starters but might make good backups. Frogfam4 might could have put a comma following the word disagree. IMHO his intent was to say the Josh might be dynamite next year especially after an off season of work.

NewFrogFan

Our scoring inefficiency comes from a lack of home run capability and the inability to blow anyone off the line of scrimmage at the goal line. How many short yardage situations have we failed at this year? Way too many!

We can keep people off balance and move the ball just fine. But to score up close, you have to dominate the line of scrimmage... Or, score from pretty far out. We have that in spades last year. This year, not so much.
I dont understand why Wiley does not have 15-20 TD’s!

Frog Attack II

I dont understand why Wiley does not have 15-20 TD’s!
It's a good question. If I was a QB, I'd throw it to him or Savion every time... It took a QB chg to get the ball to Savion and to feature Wiley .. the defense dictates where you go with the ball, but it appears to me that the current QB wants to go to #19 and #3 a lot.... And it works assuming that the QB has enough time.

Wexahu

It's a good question. If I was a QB, I'd throw it to him or Savion every time... It took a QB chg to get the ball to Savion and to feature Wiley .. the defense dictates where you go with the ball, but it appears to me that the current QB wants to go to #19 and #3 a lot.... And it works assuming that the QB has enough time.
The NCAA record for TDs by a TE for his career is 33. So what you’re saying is Wiley should get halfway there just this season.

I don’t know if you’re serious or not, but sometimes it seems like people have no concept of how difficult things are and just expect easy TDs on every possession.

Frog-in-law1995

The NCAA record for TDs by a TE for his career is 33. So what you’re saying is Wiley should get halfway there just this season.

I don’t know if you’re serious or not, but sometimes it seems like people have no concept of how difficult things are and just expect easy TDs on every possession.
I think we’re idiots for not calling that “TE uncovered down the seam” play every down.