• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Amid such a disappointing season, would TCU move on from either coordinator?

tetonfrog

I agree, but you’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to blame Briles for everything.
Who the hell should we blame for those horrible red-zone playcalls at UT's two-yard line last week? On third and two, Briles calls a no-back/five WR fade route to Savion - incomplete - and then calls another pass on fourth and two - incomplete! Those were awful calls but go ahead and defend him until your dying breath. How about a running play to Bailey or an RPO with Bailey and Hoover?

BS calls by our OC and you are defending him.........again and again. Not sure why.

Wexahu

Who the hell should we blame for those horrible red-zone playcalls at UT's two-yard line last week? On third and two, Briles calls a no-back/five WR fade route to Savion - incomplete - and then calls another pass on fourth and two - incomplete! Those were awful calls but go ahead and defend him until your dying breath. How about a running play to Bailey or an RPO with Bailey and Hoover?

BS calls by our OC and you are defending him.........again and again. Not sure why.
I’m not defending him with my dying breath. I’m just not going out of my way to blame everything on him like some of you are.

The results haven’t been that good. I’m also not sure what he’s working with. There might be one player on that side of the ball who ever gets drafted. Contrast that with last year.

Realtorfrog

Disagree. Chandler is very good but you can't build an offense around a QB who unfortunately can't stay healthy. I might be a game or two off here but my recollection is he's played well in nine games over three seasons but had lost-time injuries in three of those. I hate it for Chandler but it's just a fact.

I also think Hoover is a better QB than Chandler even while KB is making Josh play with one hand behind his back. He's completed 61% of his passes while evading a stampede of guys in the wrong colored shirts.
Hoover is without a doubt the better QB, starter unless we can get a huge transfer. Morris should turn to coaching or transfer to a smaller school.

FrogCop19

Max did not have “it” until last season.
I will have to disagree. I don't think he had the surrounding cast. He was running for his damn life for the last three years, but with protection (and better running lanes) he was able to do his thing. Was he the best qb we've ever had? No. Was he the best leader we've had since Dalton, if not ever? Yes, he had "it".

82 Frog Fever

I just don’t see the ability or consistency from Hoover/Morris that says they could start on a top 25 team. They‘re good backups, and maybe we have to use them as a bridge until we can get a talented leader at QB, or until Hejny gets seasoned.
TCU definitely needs to improve the starting QB position in the Dec. portal.

Frog-in-law1995

Didn’t like the third down call at the time, but looking at it again, Williams had inside position and it should have been an easy six, just massively overthrown. It was not 5-wide. It was three wide with a TE on the line and Bailey in the backfield. Hoover even faked a handoff before throwing.

4th down was 5-wide and was a mess. Looked like the schoolyard “just get open” play.

FWIW, we also went 5-wide and passed on 3rd and short during the previous set of downs. I assume you think that call was horrible as well? Or are they just horrible when they don’t work?

Last edited:

Wexahu

I will have to disagree. I don't think he had the surrounding cast. He was running for his damn life for the last three years, but with protection (and better running lanes) he was able to do his thing. Was he the best qb we've ever had? No. Was he the best leader we've had since Dalton, if not ever? Yes, he had "it".
Do you think this year’s QB has had the supporting cast?

Our scoring inefficiency comes from a lack of home run capability and the inability to blow anyone off the line of scrimmage at the goal line. How many short yardage situations have we failed at this year? Way too many!

We can keep people off balance and move the ball just fine. But to score up close, you have to dominate the line of scrimmage... Or, score from pretty far out. We have that in spades last year. This year, not so much.
I knew that our explosive plays were way down, but I just did some stats vs. 2023 extrapolated out to 15 games (which is what we played last year). Source was cfbstats.com through 10 games.

10+ yards -- We are actually up 13%
20+ yards -- down 15.4%
30+ yards -- down 40.8%
40+ yards -- down 71.4%
50+ yards -- down 86.4%
60+ yards -- down 84.6%
70+ yards -- down 66.6%
80+ yards -- down 100%
No 90+ yard plays either year

Dogfrog

If you are talking about scrambling and running, he always had that. But Max was a TERRIBLE passer until last season. Before that his passes were thrown well away from defenders like he was scared to death of interceptions. That might be on Patterson. Last year they obviously gave him the green light to go for it.

fanatical frog

If you are talking about scrambling and running, he always had that. But Max was a TERRIBLE passer until last season. Before that his passes were thrown well away from defenders like he was scared to death of interceptions. That might be on Patterson. Last year they obviously gave him the green light to go for it.

Per B12 website, Max ranked 5th in the conference in passing efficiency in 2020 and had a 60% completion ratio. Not what I'd call terrible, especially considering much of the rest of the team had quit on LHCGP by that time.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Why is everyone assuming Aledo QB Hauss Hejny isn’t the starter next season? Definitely time to move on from Morris.
Was listening to a radio show today where they were talking about how terrible the QB play is in the NFL today, and I think one of the major reasons is because nobody has any patience anymore. As soon as a guy has a bad stretch of games, everyone wants to throw him on the scrap heap and bring in the new guy, who often doesn't have any more credentials than the guy he is replacing. So you end up with a bunch of first and second-year guys starting that are not even close to ready.....and not surprisingly they struggle like heck. So few QBs really get the chance to grow into the position, it's shine in your first few outings or go back to the back of the line. That can happen in the college game too.

Good god, we were all ready to move on from Duggan after his first three years (and throw Boykin in there as well after his first two years). And then they got to play later in their careers when the team around them improved, and look what happened.

The Bad Guy

Was listening to a radio show today where they were talking about how terrible the QB play is in the NFL today, and I think one of the major reasons is because nobody has any patience anymore. As soon as a guy has a bad stretch of games, everyone wants to throw him on the scrap heap and bring in the new guy, who often doesn't have any more credentials than the guy he is replacing. So you end up with a bunch of first and second-year guys starting that are not even close to ready.....and not surprisingly they struggle like heck. So few QBs really get the chance to grow into the position, it's shine in your first few outings or go back to the back of the line. That can happen in the college game too.

Good god, we were all ready to move on from Duggan after his first three years (and throw Boykin in there as well after his first two years). And then they got to play later in their careers when the team around them improved, and look what happened.
I’m fine with sticking with Hoover but Morris is not the future and he didn’t play lights out. If we are going to grow a QB that’s fine but Morris doesn’t fit that plus the injury history.