• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I’ve never played to lose.’ TCU football’s Patterson defends late-game strategy vs. OU

PurpleBlood87

Because they have tried that and everyone knows it's coming. We have two RBs that average 7 yards a carry. If you have a third and 1, take two chances that your O-line can get 1/7th of that average.

Like they don't know what is coming when a RB lines up alone in the Wild Frog and there is no motion or anything to give the RB a secondary option?

I am coming around on Meacham( minus his penchant to abandon the run game when it's working and dial up a disastrous cutesy trick play that stops momentum).

O is not the major issue. Yes they have problems, but D is the real problem. Can't get a stop when absolutely needed. 500-600 yards against 4 games in a row. Maybe 5, not sure about Cal's offensive totals?

O almost does have to score every time as a result, which of course is impossible.
I was trying to hint at this. Meach was given an impossible task (after accepting the job), a task he was not comfortable doing. He is a hell of a coach using an Allen wrench when only a flat-head is required.

Virginia Frog

There is no perfect onside kick. It is ALWAYS a low percentage play. That's why you go for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and short...so you don't have to get an onside.
Yes, onsides are a crap shoot, BUT there are tactics that can be employed to maximize the outcome. I'd agree with the 4th&shorts, BUT in the SMU/UT losses - a confident TCU kick-off team that has been drilled on the "art" of the onside - COULD have changed thinks there. (I really, really wanted to beat those DelContes this time -I was bummed.)

Froggy Style

Like they don't know what is coming when a RB lines up alone in the Wild Frog and there is no motion or anything to give the RB a secondary option?
Agreed, equally dumb. If you need 1-5 yards...don't go 5 wide or the other team isn't worried about your RB's that get 7 yds a carry. Similarly, without a QB in the game, there is no threat of a pass. It seems a bit obvious, but we seem to struggle with this...likely because our head coach is only responsible for correcting defense mistakes...and what a job he's doing at that.

Froggy Style

So, I was able to force myself to read gary's answers about how he doesn't play to lose. However, in true gary style...he deny's that he play's to lose for several questions and defends himself, but then admits to shutting things down. Uh, so you are willing to stop trying to win, but still leave your starters in the game to keep your stats up.

From the article:

He then added: “Here’s what everybody needs to understand. You have to manage a season. You’re not just managing a ball game, you’re managing a season. Which side of the ball is beat up? (Defense). You better manage the season because the key is to get to six (wins) and then win more. It’s not just manage this ballgame.

Okay, so you were playing to lose so you could win other games. Thanks for the admission. What you're really saying is, my defense sucks, so why try to score more. I actually agree, unfortunately, you've also told us no changes are needed.

Conclusion: One change is needed. Replace the staff.

arlingtonbell

I was at the game and that 3 man front WAS WORKING!! The OU line especially the Center Raym were getting verbally assaulted by their line coach every time out and there was zero run game at that point no need to come out of it

Pharm Frog

I was at the game and that 3 man front WAS WORKING!! The OU line especially the Center Raym were getting verbally assaulted by their line coach every time out and there was zero run game at that point no need to come out of it

We still deployed it in the 2nd half. Sometimes it looked like a Stack 3 and sometimes like a 3-2-6 and once I thought it was a base 3-4 but who the heck knows because I couldn’t keep up with our personnel groupings. LR did not have that same problem.

CountryFrog

We still deployed it in the 2nd half. Sometimes it looked like a Stack 3 and sometimes like a 3-2-6 and once I thought it was a base 3-4 but who the heck knows because I couldn’t keep up with our personnel groupings. LR did not have that same problem.
I'd bet that LR doesn't give a [ Finebaum ] about our personnel groupings. He just runs whatever the scheiss he wants to against us like we're scheissing Kansas.

Prime BEEF

OU scored because the D couldn’t stop a junior high C team from Granbury. While I didn’t like the three pass plays there, one could very well make the argument that the offense needed to score EVERY time it had the ball…and that argument has some degree of merit.
In fairness those Granbury Junior High C teams are notoriously good

PO Frog

Generally not a good sign if your head coach has to clarify in his post-game presser that he’s “never played to lose.” Would be sort of weird if he had ever, but here we are.