• The KillerFrogs

From the ‘I’ll be long gone by then’ department…

Big Frog II

Our mayor is certainly an Aggie. Does she have any relationship with TCU?
She went to Texas and then Texas Wesleyan Law School which is now A&M Law School. She supports TCU since she is the mayor of Fort Worth. Side note, her son's peewee football coach was the TCU student, Wes Smith, who was murdered off W. 7th by the crazy homeless guy.

The TCU Football Jerk

It’s not just infrastructure that may hamper Austin’s growth, but water. No way they have enough for 22 million people. Heck, water issues will likely hamper growth for most of Texas in the future.

I've always said these billionaire that pour billions into space travel and the like should spend their money on better, more efficient ways to desalinate ocean water. And/or population control. There ought to be so many free birth control pills on the planet that you trip over them walking down the street in any corner of the world. .

Toad Jones

The game-changing tech there might be driverless cars permitting subscription schemes to car services to replace individual car ownership. That would increase population density (by eliminating the requirements currently in place for new residency builds to include X amount of parking spaces per unit), and decrease travel time by decreasing total cars on the road and increasing the efficiency with which those cars move (e.g., two lanes filtering into one is pretty simple if done by software that is controlling all of the cars and doesn't allow Johnny Jackwagon to drive his Dodge Ram up the shoulder then cause mayhem by trying to cut in out of sequence). If people just called a Google Car when they need to go somewhere and the nearest one going their way pulls over and picks them up you'd need a heck of a lot fewer cars in total. Fewer cars, less infrastructure necessary for more people.
I don't see any new transportation on the horizon other than what has been speculated. Transportation is a critical issue in predicting growth. We're at peak now and time has run out. From here on it's called 'catching up' and waiting. If you could speed up, the government will put new rules and regulations before you! New controls will be added and when that happens, costs skyrocket.

Drones carrying people/goods will become commonplace. It's quick and somewhat reliable. Multiple tunnels will be dug starting today, (necessary) to transport people. They can dig tunnels quickly now with the innovation of melting rock as you dig.

I say again, seasoned citizens will begin to move out of urban areas in mass and let the young have at it. (that will be fun to watch esp with this new generation). Urban life for older folks will be too complicated, with an ever-increasing digital life and demands on increased living expenses. I also see retired folks looking to become ex-pats in attractive parts of the world. If my wife endorsed it, we would live in southern Italy or the southern portion of Sicily right now!!

This is an interesting story. A friend retired from corporate America to live a much simpler life. This man of influence and wealth said, we moved here to get away, bought a chunk of land, built a house, and now for the first time in many years enjoying my wife and life. Heck of a nice guy, not at all with pretenses considering his background. He got into real estate investing in the area. Indicated we looked for all the necessary tangibles and after a long look came here. Opportunity and creative investing were glaring here in these small towns. A simple life awaited, so we took it. Did I tell you what he did before? He lived in Atlanta, Ga and for many years was the CEO of Coke Cola worldwide. I'm told he is the fifth wealthiest man in Texas. If it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I say again, seasoned citizens will begin to move out of urban areas in mass and let the young have at it. (that will be fun to watch esp with this new generation). Urban life for older folks will be too complicated, with an ever-increasing digital life and demands on increased living expenses. I also see retired folks looking to become ex-pats in attractive parts of the world. If my wife endorsed it, we would live in southern Italy or the southern portion of Sicily right now!!

This is an interesting story. A friend retired from corporate America to live a much simpler life. This man of influence and wealth said, we moved here to get away, bought a chunk of land, built a house, and now for the first time in many years enjoying my wife and life. Heck of a nice guy, not at all with pretenses considering his background. He got into real estate investing in the area. Indicated we looked for all the necessary tangibles and after a long look came here. Opportunity and creative investing were glaring here in these small towns. A simple life awaited, so we took it. Did I tell you what he did before? He lived in Atlanta, Ga and for many years was the CEO of Coke Cola worldwide. I'm told he is the fifth wealthiest man in Texas. If it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me.
Some years ago (2007), I was in a bar down on SPI in September, after the tourist season* was over. Turns out that the old dude in ragged jean shorts, flip-flops, and a t-shirt with a hole in it sitting next to me was a retired GE Exec. He was sitting with his neighbor, a retired AA Exec. The two fellow who joined them not long after were also Fortune 500 executive retirees. They all stressed the enjoyment of life after checking out and moving to a less complex life. Things have changed on SPI since then, mostly for the worse, but it's still a nice place to visit and watch an occasional rocket launch...

You are correct about people fleeing the City. There are more than a few folks buying land here in the far away country and building homes. I'm glad I was here ahead of the rush! We bought in 2019, before the madness of The Plague, and I can only imagine that the experience of how badly managed and stupid our Cities are gave great encouragement to these folks. It is literally paradise compared to Houston.

*TP&W won't issue stamps for some reason...

Dogfrog

I don't see any new transportation on the horizon other than what has been speculated. Transportation is a critical issue in predicting growth. We're at peak now and time has run out. From here on it's called 'catching up' and waiting. If you could speed up, the government will put new rules and regulations before you! New controls will be added and when that happens, costs skyrocket.

Drones carrying people/goods will become commonplace. It's quick and somewhat reliable. Multiple tunnels will be dug starting today, (necessary) to transport people. They can dig tunnels quickly now with the innovation of melting rock as you dig.

The median age of home buyers in 1981 was 31. In 2023 it was 49. Among the people currently most prepared to survive the high cost of the city are the retired, who started investing in homestead real estate 40+ years ago, and also saved. Too many young people have selected or were forced to select an alternate path that may force them to find less expensive locations. Retiring to watch the horizon is fine but not for everyone.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden

Depends on where you live. Chicago has had a major influx of retirees — people who grew up in the city, fled to the suburbs to raise kids, and now return to the city for its walkability and a vibrant lifestyle. Wouldn’t be the same in Texas because no place is walkable, no high quality urban living, and incredibly high property taxes in cities. So I could see why older folks wouldn’t be drawn to population centers here.

Last edited:

froginmn

If they could actually make a true viable one for the entire DFW metromess, I’d be ecstatic. Doubt that ever happens. Americans, and especially Texans, love their cars and ability to drive wherever despite traffic jams.
And homeless people and criminals love light rail and other public transportation.

froginmn

Is that supposed to impede my enjoyment or the benefit of it?
It certainly does in my city. People are afraid/ unwilling to ride light rail in Minneapolis because it's unsettling to do so when people are afraid of being assaulted.

My city is far from alone in that regard. I've ridden trains in Atlanta and New York that people who had been there were shocked to hear that I rode, due to safety reasons.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
It certainly does in my city. People are afraid/ unwilling to ride light rail in Minneapolis because it's unsettling to do so when people are afraid of being assaulted.

My city is far from alone in that regard. I've ridden trains in Atlanta and New York that people who had been there were shocked to hear that I rode, due to safety reasons.
That’s called being in public. Walk down the sidewalk in West 7th and you’d be justified to be afraid of being assaulted.

Chongo94

That’s anywhere and everywhere. Ridden them in Berlin, London, Atlanta, Seattle, etc. and I’ve never had an issue. Has there been weirdos and homeless on them, sure. Did it impact me in any way, no. Did it make me never want to get on them again, no.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

froginmn

That’s anywhere and everywhere. Ridden them in Berlin, London, Atlanta, Seattle, etc. and I’ve never had an issue. Has there been weirdos and homeless on them, sure. Did it impact me in any way, no. Did it make me never want to get on them again, no.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.
K. You asked if homeless people being on trains and crime on trains impacts people's enjoyment/use of them and the benefit of them.

You seem to not like the answer, and that's fine.

Chongo94

K. You asked if homeless people being on trains and crime on trains impacts people's enjoyment/use of them and the benefit of them.

You seem to not like the answer, and that's fine.
I asked if it would impede MY enjoyment, not yours or the majority of people that ride them, nor the benefits of them. I already knew that answer, it doesn’t. I don’t assume everyone enjoys them but your answer made it seem as if everyone doesn’t enjoy them or at the very least shouldn’t enjoy/use them. That’s ridiculous.

We’ll agree to disagree.

Last edited: