• The KillerFrogs

From a UT site: Del Conte pushed Patterson to make changes

Moose Stuff

Your stuff is usually good, but to make this observation, that you can actually believe that CDC thought maybe some changes were necessary after a 4-8 season, well.... Not that you care, I'm sure, but you've got to work your way back up again.

So just to clarify..... this ENTIRE board thought changes were necessary but it’s outrageous to believe our AD thought the same thing..... got it.

froginmn

So just to clarify..... this ENTIRE board thought changes were necessary but it’s outrageous to believe our AD thought the same thing..... got it.
sarcasm_detector.jpg

Tumbleweed

As usual on any board, discussion was taken out of context, hyped beyond common sense when you know the relationship between the two.. Chris never mandated anything to GP. More likely ... R U happy with our play calling? GP...that's already in the works. Wouldn't surprise me if this so-called sit down didn't happen in front of a urinal.

If a young UT fan says anything about these two friends, (CDC/GP) his agenda is going to be negative. Period.

froginmn

For me the interesting part is my assumption of UT's arrogance. That somehow CDC will be able to have a conversation with Herman and get the same results.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
As usual on any board, discussion was taken out of context, hyped beyond common sense when you know the relationship between the two.. Chris never mandated anything to GP. More likely ... R U happy with our play calling? GP...that's already in the works. Wouldn't surprise me if this so-called sit down didn't happen in front of a urinal.

If a young UT fan says anything about these two friends, (CDC/GP) his agenda is going to be negative. Period.
And here I thought you guys stood in front of urinals.

Eight

For me the interesting part is my assumption of UT's arrogance. That somehow CDC will be able to have a conversation with Herman and get the same results.

agree on the assumption of ut's arrogance. does it really matter if cdc ordered, suggested, begged, or never mentioned to cgmp the need to make changes in the tcu program. as has been pointed out here patterson is known for his loyalty and what is his strength might also be his biggest weakness.

changes were made, changes have continued to be made, and i don't think patterson will stand pat on his program regardless of who is the ad. didn't before cdc and hasn't and won't after.

the funniest part of the piece for the ut site is the mindset that somehow a losing season in herman's 2nd year would require changes. texas fans have this mindset they have endured a truly dark period since the 2009 when they played alabama for the national title. things haven't been good for them, but during this "bad time" they have gone 53-48 overall and 35-36 in the big 12. been some ugly games, been some ugly stretches, but they have no clue what an ugly streak of bad football really looks like.

the comments made by the inside source sound a great deal like what was sound by texas fans when steve patterson was hired, when steve patterson was fired, and the same with charlie strong. they tell themselves programs like tcu are only successful because of a once in a generation coach, but don't remember they were not dominant before the 60's and 70's

point is instead of appreciating the good times they think they have a birthright and in being desparate to reclaim those days sold their souls and gave there program over to a man who is more evil than barry switzer or jackie sherrill because neither of those two denied what they were. didn't make it but they won't burn ever program down in the big 12 to win like mensa will.

HG73

Biggest problem with that old offense wasn't Burns and Anderson, it was Trevone. We ran that option on almost every running play an Trevone kept it every time. Then a heroic panic scramble for a gain of -1 yard. And a running back standing by himself when he should have been running down the field with the ball. Then we were a running team in a passing situation.

Anybody (including Burns and Anderson) could have installed a spread offense and let TB make those reads (which he was good at) instead of that option read.

Now, am I glad we have Sonny? And Chris? HELL YES. Am I glad we still have Burns and Anderson? Yes, long-term coaches and good recruiters.

CryptoMiner

The bolded part of the article actually says that he doesn’t know if that happened.

No he says he doesn't know how much push he had to use. Then he goes on to explain that if there was reluctance by Patterson he would have pushed until it got done.

FWIW I do not believe that happened at all and the more realistic scenario is probably Patterson got with Meacham who then got with Cumbie and then Patterson went to Del Conte and explained what he wanted done and to get finances worked out.

Frog-in-law1995

No he says he doesn't know how much push he had to use. Then he goes on to explain that if there was reluctance by Patterson he would have pushed until it got done.

FWIW I do not believe that happened at all and the more realistic scenario is probably Patterson got with Meacham who then got with Cumbie and then Patterson went to Del Conte and explained what he wanted done and to get finances worked out.

If Gary didn’t want to hire a new OC, then the best CDC was gonna do was push until he got fired.

So the version of this story that Gary told some alums years ago was that after the 4 win season, Gary went to CDC and said he needed help getting things fixed while not hurting his staff... That meant expanding roles, adding new ones, and then a checkbook to go and get good guys. CDC pushed him to "follow his heart" on this and do what needed to be done, and was 100% supportive on all of Gary's asks.

If I stand that up against a "CDC pushed Gary" version, I meet in the middle at a good boss/staff relationship and one where CDC followed through on his promise to support his coaches to hit their goals.