• The KillerFrogs

Frogs to the B1G?!?

peacock

Gotta love the Twitter! Although I do think Big Ten schools would love to play a game every other year in recruiting rich DFW! If they do expand they would definitely want a school in recruiting rich Texas!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As has been discussed previously, TCU would be attractive due to two important factors: 1.) DFW Metro TV ratings, and 2.) Ease of travel, with a Major Airport nearby and only the horrific traffic to contend with.

I honestly don't know if the juice exists for the Metro TV ratings item, in that the core B1G Programs draw ratings all by themselves without the need for local interest. While local interest may boost those numbers slightly, would the increase cover the cost to all Programs that splitting the pie just that little more would entail? There's carriage fees, but Cable is a dying beast, and I am unsure of the richness of that revenue stream in the present. I'm sure that others know a helluva lot more than I do about the minutia of TV/Cable/Money calculus...

Just imagine how much better college sports would be if you had six or seven 8-10 team regional conferences instead of this mega-league crap. Where conference championships would actually mean something again, instead of footprints and per team payouts.
We had that very regional Big XII 10-team conference in 2022 (excepting WV), and with the exception of a few people, everyone else here argued that losing the Big XII conference title to Kansas State was insignificant and it was all about making it to the playoff. That still irritates me.

It mattered to Max Duggan; the most emotional he has ever been in his sports career.

Last edited:
People here also argued that we had to add three G5 schools and BYU after Texas and Oklahoma left instead of just two; bigger is better BS, sheesh. I still don’t buy that.

Last edited:

Wexahu

We had that very regional Big XII 10-team conference in 2022 (excepting WV), and with the exception of a few people, everyone else here argued that losing the Big XII conference title to Kansas State was insignificant and it was all about making it to the playoff.
At that point making the playoff became way more significant. The playoffs have made winning conference championships less important, plus you add in the factor of how ridiculous the Big 12's method of determining their champion is and I can understand how fans felt that way.

Palliative Care

So much for old regional rivalries. Then again they are getting really old and stale. It is becoming more annoying at times rather than being a matter of intensity and interest.

Hemingway

Bring It Fight GIF by Hobbs & Shaw Smack Talk

Limey Frog

People here also argued that we had to add three G5 schools and BYU after Texas and Oklahoma left instead of just two; bigger is better BS, sheesh. I still don’t buy that.
But it was exactly that 12-team league that attracted the TV contract from FOX and ESPN that enabled the Big 12 to stay in tact and attract Pac-12 defectors rather than vice versa. Had the reverse happened there was no guarantee that it wouldn't have worked out very badly for TCU.

Yes, there's still plenty of time for things to go badly for TCU anyway, but a 16-member Big 12 is at least hanging in there for now and looks more stable than the ACC. Ideally, no, bigger isn't better. I'd rather have 9- or 10-member leagues with no CCGs, entirely regional feeding into a 16-team playoff. Under a combined TV contract that system would be the best by far. But as things actually are right now, bigger is safer so long as we're adding members that help. BYU & co. obviously helped the Big 12. (In contrast, adding SMU & Berkley-stan will probably push ESPN to bail on their ACC contract when their look-in window comes up in Feb. next year.)

OICU812

Also saw an article today saying ncaa is preparing to further stack the playoff deck. Calling it “3-3-2-2-1,” giving B1G n sec 3 auto bids and acc n b12 2. Seems like not a coincidence.

Dogfrog

This wild open market scramble is probably not only about improving your own league, but also hurting the competitive league. Along with all the positives previously mentioned regarding DFW, we have also been in the football national championship game, the college World Series, the NCAA tournament in very recent years. All that said, I am happy with B12.

Limey Frog

They need to sort out the CFP format for 2026 within the next year, and the NCAA governance model is obviously dead and must be replaced somehow. Both of those issues get more complicated if realignment questions drag on interminably. I suspect a lot will happen on that front this summer.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Everything is heading towards a B1G and SEC only format—like the NFC and AFC back in the day before they merged into the NFL, only with more teams in each conference.

Dogfrog

Everything is heading towards a B1G and SEC only format—like the NFC and AFC back in the day before they merged into the NFL, only with more teams in each conference.
Maybe so. But for college athletics to make a conscious decision to walk away from the successful unique niche that evolved around education, and realign as a lower level junior NFL league is a head scratcher.