• The KillerFrogs

Frey gets the start

TCURiggs

Schloss must be a numbnut for scheduling like that then.

Come on now. Obviously Schloss has control of the schedule, but I'm sure everyone would love an unexpected day off for some extra rest (not to mention avoid an RPI killer). Not sure why you're so hung up on arguing against that.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Come on now. Obviously Schloss has control of the schedule, but I'm sure everyone would love an unexpected day off for some extra rest (not to mention avoid an RPI killer). Not sure why you're so hung up on arguing against that.
Schloss made the schedule knowing he would have 8 games in 10 days, with a game the day before OU. Now, he did it before the pitching staff went down a couple of arms, but still ... not sure why fans want a day off today. Schloss didn't. And baseball guys enjoy playing. It's baseball.

TCURiggs

Schloss made the schedule knowing he would have 8 games in 10 days, with a game the day before OU. Now, he did it before the pitching staff went down a couple of arms, but still ... not sure why fans want a day off today. Schloss didn't. And baseball guys enjoy playing. It's baseball.

You answered your own question.

You can stop with the, "It's baseball." Baseball guys enjoy playing, and their fans enjoy watching any chance they get, but what some on this thread were getting at is that an unexpected day off would be beneficial for the team at this point...i.e. pitching staff and RPI.

leofrog

Was talking with dad about the importance of these games and we talked about the possibility of moving starting pitchers around where you could have, for instance, started Mitchell tonight then Winkler on five days rest against OU, then move up Miller and Maxwell and throw Winkler on Sunday on another five days' rest. Obviously that juggles the weekend rotation in a way you might not want but there isn't that many more weekend series, and these two games are huge.

But looks like Schloss will go with Frey and Mitchell, and he knows best.
We don't play Sunday, so Winkler wouldn't pitch against a conference opponent. This weekend's series is Thurs-Sat.

It goes back to what Schloss thinks is more important in the long term, a weekday game or a weekend series. He compromised by moving Mitchell back as a starter.

This is a tough stretch, but it hopefully will help us out in the long run.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You answered your own question.

You can stop with the, "It's baseball." Baseball guys enjoy playing, and their fans enjoy watching any chance they get, but what some on this thread were getting at is that an unexpected day off would be beneficial for the team at this point...i.e. pitching staff and RPI.
The schedule is the schedule, injuries or not, the same for any sport. The Rangers are without the reigning AL MVP and Rookie of the Year. The schedule says they have games to play. You adjust and go forward, just like Schloss and the team will do.

TCURiggs

The schedule is the schedule, injuries or not, the same for any sport. The Rangers are without the reigning AL MVP and Rookie of the Year. The schedule says they have games to play. You adjust and go forward, just like Schloss and the team will do.

I got it now. "It's baseball" and "The schedule is the schedule." Thanks.

No one ever said that they won't be able to handle the schedule, or they can't adjust. I'm sure everyone's going to be just fine if they have to play, and they'll give it 100% without missing a beat. We were simply saying it would be nice to give our guys an unexpected rest day and avoid a crap team that's throwing a good pitcher at us. Yeesh. You're GDUing all over this thread.

FrogsMcGee

RPI =

25% Your winning percentage
50% Your opponent's winning percentage (excluding games against you)
25% Your opponent's opponent's winning percentage (excluding games against your opponent)

Give you a base score.

Then you add to that bonus points for road victories against RPI top 25/50/75 teams. Bonus is higher for the higher categories (obviously). The bonus is calculated on the base score, not the bonus inflated scores.

Similarly, there is a penalty for home losses to really bad teams. I think it's sub-200 RPI, but not 100% sure on that.

HoustonFrog's quote of me from earlier was before I took the time to actually crunch the numbers. The DBU result isn't as big of a risk/reward discrepance as I originally thought. A win bumps us to the .5895 range. A loss down to the .583 range. That's with all else in the formula remaining equal, which it almost never does.

Pharm Frog

RPI =

25% Your winning percentage
50% Your opponent's winning percentage (excluding games against you)
25% Your opponent's opponent's winning percentage (excluding games against your opponent)

Give you a base score.

Then you add to that bonus points for road victories against RPI top 25/50/75 teams. Bonus is higher for the higher categories (obviously). The bonus is calculated on the base score, not the bonus inflated scores.

Similarly, there is a penalty for home losses to really bad teams. I think it's sub-200 RPI, but not 100% sure on that.

HoustonFrog's quote of me from earlier was before I took the time to actually crunch the numbers. The DBU result isn't as big of a risk/reward discrepance as I originally thought. A win bumps us to the .5895 range. A loss down to the .583 range. That's with all else in the formula remaining equal, which it almost never does.

Is this calculated based on the percentages at the time that you play a team and that calculation remains static, or does the calculation adjust as teams progress through their season? For example, if you beat a team on March 15th whose RPI is 52 at that time but that same team finishes the year at an RPI of 19, do you get points in arrears?

FrogsMcGee

Is this calculated based on the percentages at the time that you play a team and that calculation remains static, or does the calculation adjust as teams progress through their season? For example, if you beat a team on March 15th whose RPI is 52 at that time but that same team finishes the year at an RPI of 19, do you get points in arrears?

Calculation does not remain static. Every time one of the opponents you played plays another game, the calc changes. Every time on of their opponents play another game the calc changes. This is a reason TCU should be rooting for Tech for the rest of the season. We have 3 road wins over Tech and they are currently top 50 RPI. That is getting us some bonus points. If they get to top 25, all the better. One day you can be getting bonus points from your wins over Tech, and the next day they can slip to 51st and your bonus points shrink.

This is the reason why TCU's RPI will change on a daily basis, whether or not they played the night before.