• The KillerFrogs

Frey gets the start

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04/24/3023379/gameday-no-11-tcu-baseball-at.html

Nick Frey starting tonight ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Was talking with dad about the importance of these games and we talked about the possibility of moving starting pitchers around where you could have, for instance, started Mitchell tonight then Winkler on five days rest against OU, then move up Miller and Maxwell and throw Winkler on Sunday on another five days' rest. Obviously that juggles the weekend rotation in a way you might not want but there isn't that many more weekend series, and these two games are huge.

But looks like Schloss will go with Frey and Mitchell, and he knows best.

Moe Iba

I was impressed with Frey in his previous start. Granted, it was against UT Pan Am., but he looked like he had some good stuff. Schloss had him on a short leash that game and only had him pitch 4 innings. I wonder if he will be allowed to go to deeper into today's game since it would be nice to save the bullpen for the rest of the week if possible.

TCURiggs

Yeah, I'm kind of doubtful whether this game is a go tonight. Weather may be nasty and fairly widespread.

From what I've seen, it looks like it drops to around a 30-40% chance of rain around 6. For the Frogs I'm hoping for a rain-out, but not for my Rangers tickets.

Frog79

A rainout would be good but I like our chances with Frey on the mound if we do play. I just hope he can eat up some innings and save the bullpen for tomorrow.

Houston Frog

Why are people hoping for a rainout? Are we afraid to play DBU?

From Frogs McGee......

I would probably prefer this one is rained out given that they are planning to throw their ace. RPI impact on a win would be from .586 to .587 or .588. A loss would drop to .580 or so. So yes, there is more risk than reward to this game RPI-wise.

So a win jumps our RPI up by 1/1000th of a point, while a loss drops us by about 6 times that amount.

They're throwing their ace (who is 7-1 on the year), while we're throwing our 5th or 6th starter. So like McGee said, the risk/reward really just isn't there for us.

TCURiggs

From Frogs McGee......

So a win jumps our RPI up by 1/1000th of a point, while a loss drops us by about 6 times that amount.

They're throwing their ace (who is 7-1 on the year), while we're throwing our 5th or 6th starter. So like McGee said, the risk/reward really just isn't there for us.

Oh well, that's college baseball...numbnut.

jake102

How is RPI calculated?

If this is correct, it doesn't take into account traps like this where some crappy team happens to have one good pitcher that they save for midweek games.

Why don't they just use human rankings mixed with computer SOS, etc?

The BCS sucks, but the ranking system is actually pretty good going into the bowl games. It seems to usually be decently fair.

cdsfrog

Baseball RPI is the worst system on the planet. A&M is not as good as TCU, nor is auburn, and especially not Georgia. Georgia is ranked top 20 in RPI yet they aren't even top 50 in terms of talent. Stupid system

Houston Frog

How is RPI calculated?

If this is correct, it doesn't take into account traps like this where some crappy team happens to have one good pitcher that they save for midweek games.

Why don't they just use human rankings mixed with computer SOS, etc?

The BCS sucks, but the ranking system is actually pretty good going into the bowl games. It seems to usually be decently fair.

I couldn't begin to tell you the specifics of how the RPI is calculated, but I do know that you have much more to lose by playing a bad team than you have to gain.

And you're right, it doesn't take into account the pitcher that you're facing. So playing a crappy team with their ace on the mound is about the worst case scenario you can face.