• The KillerFrogs

Former Staff Destinations?

SackLunch

Sharp is a really good special teams coach.
I love Sharp but we literally ran the same KOR returns, punt returns for 22 years. Some of that may have been GP not letting them change but nothing in his career says sharp is a great special teams coach. A great special teams coach is a guy that has actually played special teams at a high level and understands it takes a unique personality to play on special teams and actually own it and want to do it. A great special teams coach knows how to ID those guys and then coach them up on everything from technique to the x's and o's of special team. Yes there is a lot of scheme in the special teams game it's just never talked about and was never done under GP.

DutchFrog

I love Sharp but we literally ran the same KOR returns, punt returns for 22 years. Some of that may have been GP not letting them change but nothing in his career says sharp is a great special teams coach. A great special teams coach is a guy that has actually played special teams at a high level and understands it takes a unique personality to play on special teams and actually own it and want to do it. A great special teams coach knows how to ID those guys and then coach them up on everything from technique to the x's and o's of special team. Yes there is a lot of scheme in the special teams game it's just never talked about and was never done under GP.
For the last 5 years or so, Sharp was only in charge of the KOR unit. Which was still fairly effective, even when the rules changed where you couldn't form certain types of double teams.

Big Frog II

My biggest complaint about Gary was the lip service he gave to special teams. They were erratic and cost him some games and came close to costing him some more games. I view special teams like free throws. A lot of games can be lost and won by each of those two things.

Spike

My biggest complaint about Gary was the lip service he gave to special teams. They were erratic and cost him some games and came close to costing him some more games. I view special teams like free throws. A lot of games can be lost and won by each of those two things.
Especially in light of his annoying win by 1 mantra. If you are going to preach that then have the mechanisms in place to win those close games.

Eight

Especially in light of his annoying win by 1 mantra. If you are going to preach that then have the mechanisms in place to win those close games.

frogs not only have a special teams co-ordinator among their 10 assistants, BUT sonny has thrown caution to the wind and brought in a special teams analyst

in your wildest dreams could anyone imagine not one but two guys on the football staff whose job it is to focus specifically on special teams. almost as if this stuff can decide games or something

oh, and for those who haven't seen the football staff now i don't know what is the reason, but the overall staff is not only younger, but there are many more analyst and support people than i can recall in the past

sonny hasn't won a game yet, but he sure has changed a few things around the program

Last edited:
frogs not only have a special teams co-ordinator among their 10 assistants, BUT sonny has thrown caution to the wind and brought in a special teams analyst

in your wildest dreams could anyone imagine not one but two guys on the football staff whose job it is to focus specifically on special teams. almost as if this stuff can decide games or something

oh, and for those who haven't seen the football staff now i don't know what is the reason, but the overall staff is not only younger, but there are many more analyst and support people than i can recall in the past

sonny hasn't won a game yet, but he sure has changed a few things around the program
I hope that results in a change toward prioritizing a high level kicker instead of the try to get one on the cheap method. More Jaden Oberkrom, less the kicker as an afterthought.

asleep003

Yes ... will never forget the 2012 bowl game in Tempe against Mich St., when they allowed Skyy back inside the 10, to receive a punt(which he had struggled with all year) late in the game, while still having the lead, to fumble it and giving MSU a 17-16 win from 7 yds out. Never understood .?.

Last edited:

4th. down

Yes ... will never forget the 2012 bowl game in Tempe against Mich St., when they allowed Skyy back inside the 10, to receive a punt(which he had struggled with all year) late in the game, while still having the lead, to fumble it to giving MSU a 17-16 win from 7 yds out. Never understood .?.
Yeah, GP probably didn't make that call but he had the power of the pocket veto and didn't use it......kinda like his on field time management.

Dykes is a total different universe as is the staff.......just as an example, our offensive line coach, at last we have one:

asleep003

Dykes is a total different universe as is the staff.......just as an example, our offensive line coach, at last we have one:
Pretty excited about having someone who can teach these guys how to pass block ...
We had a solid run game the past 2 seasons(4 returners). Balance would be nice !

Last edited:

asleep003

For the last 5 years or so, Sharp was only in charge of the KOR unit. Which was still fairly effective, even when the rules changed where you couldn't form certain types of double teams.
Sorry Dutch, but if "Sharp was a really good special teams Coach" why was he only over the KOR, for Special teams the past 5 seasons.?. Did his 2012 ST's bowl debacle, that caused the late 17-16 loss, cost him his designated STs title ?

Spike

Yes ... will never forget the 2012 bowl game in Tempe against Mich St., when they allowed Skyy back inside the 10, to receive a punt(which he had struggled with all year) late in the game, while still having the lead, to fumble it and giving MSU a 17-16 win from 7 yds out. Never understood .?.
My seats were about 20 rows up on that 10 yard line. We had too good of a view of that happening. Seemed like a very avoidable mistake that cost us the game and put a negative exclamation point on the end of the season.

Last edited:

McFroggin

While we need to be forever grateful to GP for getting us where we are, he had his fair share of royal scheiss-ups.

asleep003

My seats were about 20 rows up on that 10 yard line. We had too good of a view of that happening. Seemed like a very avoidable mistake that cost us the game and put a negative exclamation point on the end of the season.
Yes ... it should have been another Bowl win over a Big 10 opponent in a 2 year period. 8-5 would be much more impressive than 7-6 in our recruiting effort for our 2nd year in the B12 and 2013.

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

I guess the KOR's will not change at all then, since the special teams coach that originally implementing them 22 years ago is back as the special teams coach again now.

OmniscienceFrog

11 man coaching staff and 27 person football coaching/support staff. Don't believe we've had anywhere close to a 38 person staff previously. Should help.

Eight

11 man coaching staff and 27 person football coaching/support staff. Don't believe we've had anywhere close to a 38 person staff previously. Should help.

giphy.gif