• The KillerFrogs

Former Fort Worth Press Sportswriter Jerre Todd Passed Away

Jerre died last night about nine pm. He was really good guy and a great friend of Dan Jenkins. He was also funny as hell. I hope he, Dan and Blackie Sherrod are sharing a drink and telling stories. God bless Melba and the entire family

4 Oaks Frog

Jerre died last night about nine pm. He was really good guy and a great friend of Dan Jenkins. He was also funny as hell. I hope he, Dan and Blackie Sherrod are sharing a drink and telling stories. God bless Melba and the entire family
Great sports writer with true grit. He could paint a picture in your head, and make you laugh out loud with his style. I sure do miss good papers and good writers...
GO FROGS!
BEAT tt!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Tumbleweed

Ft. Worth had two daily newspapers, of course the Star Telegram and the GREAT Ft. Worth Press. The Press had the best sports writers although the Star was right behind them. The Press had a sports writer named Jim Browder who later worked for the Cowboy Weekly. Great guy, wonder if Jim is still amongst us?

Brog

actually, we had three daily newspapers. The Star Telegram had its morning edition, and then another edition in the afternoon. But you're right, the Press was best.

Shake Tiller

The Fort Worth Press had a fabulous set of sports writers, perhaps the best in the country at the time.
Jerre Todd, Blackie Sherrod, Dan Jenkins, Gary Cartwright and Bud Shrake. The Press, a Scripps-Howard newspaper, was fun and fearless. Mack Williams, the City Editor, was also a star -- but on the city-side.
When I was in journalism school at TCU, I was an intern at The Press and got to work in the shadow of those guys.
They were friends and kind and tolerant. After deadline the fun continued. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't afford many of those happy Happy Hours which occurred almost daily.
I learned a lot and had a wonderful time, got "printer's ink" on my hands and it never came off.

Leap Frog

Those 3 plus 2 others covered the Hurricane Game for Press at Aggy in 1956, and none would cover Frogs locker room afterwards.
So leader Blackie sent the photo kid to the sad place after that loss that may have cost the team a NC.
Those were heady days when both FW papers did fabulous jobs covering TCU with Pics and articles about their games.

Tumbleweed

Years ago we played the Texas Aggies at AGS in a conference game. The Ags had this recv'r that jumped as high as he could even tho the pass was waist high b/c he didn't want to get severally hit. We ribbed him something awful and a couple of rows below me in the student section, one TCU student who went to high school with Ag rec'vr, yelled hey ..........(whatever his name was) 'you haven't changed, you're still the biggest panty waist in Texas!) Well the corp got all excited and before long so did the Agg football guys, then TCU football guys ran across the field and before you could say, hello, the east lower stands emptied and one hell of a fight took off. It got so bad the cops just let everyone swing away. The public address guy was saying..stop everyone..stop...get off the field. Didn't do one bit of good. Everyone involved just had to wear themselves out. Sunday morning Star headlines said...TCU and Ags fight it out. Seems the Press headlines said.......TCU won ...on the field and off...

PurpleBlood87

My father was friends with Jerre and the other writers at the Press while working in the Star-Telegram's sports department.

Sorry to lose Jerre. Britt Todd and I were in several classes together at TCU