• The KillerFrogs

Florence

SwissArmyFrog

Heard on the radio that sharks were seen by those observing the hurricane to have been lifted out of the ocean into the 'body' of the hurricane. Report was not a joke, but should be a source of great interest to fans of a certain movie series!

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Weather Prompts Volleyball Schedule Change
TCU will not travel to Coastal Carolina and will instead host North Dakota State on Friday.

FORT WORTH, Texas (September 11, 2018) – Due to the arrival of category four hurricane Florence to a wide stretch of the eastern United States, the TCU volleyball team has been forced to cancel its trip to Coastal Carolina this weekend and will instead host North Dakota State on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m., at The Rickel inside the University Recreation Center.

The Horned Frogs, who were originally scheduled to face Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston this weekend, will now be squaring off against the Bison for the first time in program history on Friday.

Tickets to the match against North Dakota State are on sale now with adult tickets priced at $10, youth tickets priced at $5 and $3 tickets for groups of 20 or more. Fans can purchase the tickets by visiting GoFrogs.com, stopping by the Parrish Family Athletics Ticket Office located in Schollmaier Arena or by calling the ticket office at 817-257-FROG (3764).

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I don't remember hearing a similar six-day-out doom and gloom report on a hurricane like this in forever. Maybe even the 90s. I think even Katrina wasn't frightening people until 3-4 days out if I remember correctly.

Eight

I don't remember hearing a similar six-day-out doom and gloom report on a hurricane like this in forever. Maybe even the 90s. I think even Katrina wasn't frightening people until 3-4 days out if I remember correctly.

depends who you are talking to on the storm.

have friends who work for hpd and hfd and anyone in city and county government knew harvey was going to be a freaking [ Finebaum ] show.

neither turner nor eckles had the balls to order and evacuation because they really hadn't put anything in place since the last hurricane

sjra knew they needed to let water out of lake conroe ahead of time to reduce risk of flooding, but they wouldn't because the outside chance the rain wasn't going to happen and that would mean money because conroe is water source

addickes and barker weren't opened ahead of time because of pressure not to fill bayous and creeks downstream because they knew about the amount of rain

i.e. politics as usual. it sounds like in n.c. they are doing the right thing and giving people notice

frogs9497

I occassionally think of this lone house that "survived" Hurricane Ike.

From the article:

With the Gulf of Mexico at right, a beachfront home stands among the debris in Gilchrist, Texas on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008 after Hurricane Ike hit the area.

Per the owner:
It was built to Galveston County code, he said, which anticipates 130-mile-per-hour winds on the seaward side of the county. But the elevation may have helped. Adams said he built high, in part, to get a break on flood insurance. The home sits 15 feet above ground.

“The piece of land my house is sitting on was probably one of the highest above sea level in the area, about 8 or 9 feet above sea level before we even started the house,” he said. “I think the house is about 16 inches higher than it needs to be.”

Tumbleweed

Florence ain't keeping us from being in Arlington Saturday night.

Looking at the latest Fox news report, (@ 5:40) Sir, with all due prayers, I hope you have a home to go back to. Report indicated 4 to 5 feet of rain and they are looking for it to stall out and dump inches/feet of rain to to middle Tenn and those states close. Projection-- very, very good opportunity for this thing to go to cat 5!

Edit: neighbor who works for independent weather reporting com, indicated south Texas will probably be the next week

notyalc

My kid attends Duke in Durham. Right in the path. School shut down. Staying in a 3rd floor apartment with other students and hoping for the best. I think the rain is going to be the most damaging part of this whole thing when its all said and done.

Eight

From the article:

With the Gulf of Mexico at right, a beachfront home stands among the debris in Gilchrist, Texas on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008 after Hurricane Ike hit the area.

Per the owner:
It was built to Galveston County code, he said, which anticipates 130-mile-per-hour winds on the seaward side of the county. But the elevation may have helped. Adams said he built high, in part, to get a break on flood insurance. The home sits 15 feet above ground.

“The piece of land my house is sitting on was probably one of the highest above sea level in the area, about 8 or 9 feet above sea level before we even started the house,” he said. “I think the house is about 16 inches higher than it needs to be.”

reminds me of an article i read in the wsj about a group of people who opted to ride out katrina in the parrish court house of this small town that at the very edge of the mississippi delta in louisiana.

wouldn't leave, during the storm wished they had left, storm passes and when they open the doors to the courthouse the gulf of mexico is inches below the door jam.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
depends who you are talking to on the storm.

have friends who work for hpd and hfd and anyone in city and county government knew harvey was going to be a freaking [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] show.

neither turner nor eckles had the balls to order and evacuation because they really hadn't put anything in place since the last hurricane

sjra knew they needed to let water out of lake conroe ahead of time to reduce risk of flooding, but they wouldn't because the outside chance the rain wasn't going to happen and that would mean money because conroe is water source

addickes and barker weren't opened ahead of time because of pressure not to fill bayous and creeks downstream because they knew about the amount of rain

i.e. politics as usual. it sounds like in n.c. they are doing the right thing and giving people notice
I was more worried about Port Aransas at the time, and I was right to be concerned. I hate that politics played such a role in Harris County.

The rain is going to be terrible on this but I worry about the Carolina's version of Port A. We all remember Harvey from the flooding, but just like my favorite beach town, somewhere is going to get the eyewall winds of Florence and God please help them.

NavySupplyFrog

I rode out harvey on base in kingsville tx. The corpus christi base came over and spent the night woth us. I will be riding out Florence in my house in Chesapeake VA (just south of Norfolk) unless this thing starts turning north. Lots pf water, charcoal, dry wood, lighter fluid and food. Bigheat concern is electricity for keeping my 3 kids and wife cool, entertained and of course, watch TCU beat Ohio State. If we evacuate it will be to a friends house in Ohio. I told them if we do, my family is only bringing TCU clothing.

Bruce Berry

Looking at the latest Fox news report, (@ 5:40) Sir, with all due prayers, I hope you have a home to go back to. Report indicated 4 to 5 feet of rain and they are looking for it to stall out and dump inches/feet of rain to to middle Tenn and those states close. Projection-- very, very good opportunity for this thing to go to cat 5!

Edit: neighbor who works for independent weather reporting com, indicated south Texas will probably be the next week

We just got back to Austin. We're good.

Eight

I rode out harvey on base in kingsville tx. The corpus christi base came over and spent the night woth us. I will be riding out Florence in my house in Chesapeake VA (just south of Norfolk) unless this thing starts turning north. Lots pf water, charcoal, dry wood, lighter fluid and food. Bigheat concern is electricity for keeping my 3 kids and wife cool, entertained and of course, watch TCU beat Ohio State. If we evacuate it will be to a friends house in Ohio. I told them if we do, my family is only bringing TCU clothing.

first, thank you for your service and more importantly god's protection and god's speed

NavySupplyFrog

first, thank you for your service and more importantly god's protection and god's speed
You are most welcome. I love my job. Thank you for the blessings but send them to the Carolinas, we should be good up here in Virginia. My house is on pretty high ground relatively speaking.

mc1502

From the article:

Per the owner:

My family had a beach house there (or close to there in Crystal Beach) that was swept away completely by Ike. And by completely, I mean completely gone, nothing was left, with the pilings broken off at ground level. We were slated to go there the weekend that Ike came through. Seeing the aftermath in person was scary.