• The KillerFrogs

First thoughts

This team played well but not all that smart. I thought offensively we were explosive at times and physical at others. Pachall was really good for the most part but trying too hard at others. The running game was very efficient and, I felt, underused when the game started to get out of hand. This was definitely the secondary's best game as we had multiple interceptions and had hands on at least half a dozen more. We are still susceptible to the deep pass but it seemed like we didn't let receivers run in space all game long. Run defense is still suspect but the play improved in the second half.

All for now.

fdub

if a team lacks good WRs, or a good QB, or both, I like TCU's chances, especially after tonight's showing.

geefrogs

Ed Wesley played outstanding. Late fumble was fluky.

Pachall played like a first year starter. Loved his toughness throughout.

The defense was solid. Slowed down Hillman (was he banged up?) and forced Lindley into mistakes.

We could have scored around 40 tonight.

Sloppy win. But its a road win against a good conference opponent.

Well done boys.

Deep Purple

This was definitely the secondary's best game as we had multiple interceptions and had hands on at least half a dozen more. We are still susceptible to the deep pass but it seemed like we didn't let receivers run in space all game long.
The secondary was good because the D-line got penetration and constantly harried an hurried the SDSU QB. It's amazing how a good up-front effort can make the secondary shine.

Having said that, our tackling technique is still woefully lacking and needs worlds of improvement.

geefrogs

Agree on the D-line making plays. I didnt see TCU throw many blitzes at Lindley b/c the front 4 was doing a good enough job to allow the other 7 to sit back and jump on the Aztecs.

asleep003

if a team lacks good WRs, or a good QB, or both, I like TCU's chances, especially after tonight's showing.

Lindley had a lot of drops and early, if he had been his usual self and been more on
target, it might have been another ugly start. We still have a lot of work ahead of us.
Did state after the Portland St. game, that We would know a lot about this team after
SMU & SDSU games. Now am very unsure because SDSU played so bad... though
still very happy with a Road wIn!

Cheers !

smufrogger

The secondary was good because the D-line got penetration and constantly harried an hurried the SDSU QB. It's amazing how a good up-front effort can make the secondary shine.

Having said that, our tackling technique is still woefully lacking and needs worlds of improvement.[/size

Plus1

sous vide

... Now am very unsure because SDSU played so bad...

Cheers !

The classic "explanation" for any Frogs wins from our BCS soon-to-be-brothers now comes from within. :angry:

Personally, I thought the Frogs looked a lot better on D executing things much better. The rush was consistent and strong which has not been the case so far this year. Casey looked good and in particular his running was many times better than previously until he really got popped on that short TD pass. I wonder if he got a bit dinged in the ribs there as his play seemed to drop off a bit at that point.

Waccy Frog

TCU played well enough to dominate the game, but made some stupid mistakes to allow SDSU to hang around. So lots of good things for the team to hang their hats on, and plenty of bad things for GP to ream them over the next two weeks. Another step forward in "growing up" the team; and a hard fought and well-deserved victory.

Burner1

Tier 1
The main thing was the team had energy and acted like they wanted to win, which has not generally been the case until the fourth quarter. Wesley ran like he was possessed. If the guys can nurture that emotion they can do a lot with it as the season progresses.

Still lots of receivers running wide open, but in this game it didn't hurt because they dropped the ball or were overthrown. Still lots and lots of missed tackles. Pachall threw into coverage too much, but if he learns with the experience that will be positive. Punt returns ... well, enough said about that.

Altogether I now think we can beat the weak teams on our schedule. BYU will be a test, and BSU probably remains out of reach. Much depends on progress during this bye week.

weklfrog

The classic "explanation" for any Frogs wins from our BCS soon-to-be-brothers now comes from within. :angry:

Personally, I thought the Frogs looked a lot better on D executing things much better. The rush was consistent and strong which has not been the case so far this year. Casey looked good and in particular his running was many times better than previously until he really got popped on that short TD pass. I wonder if he got a bit dinged in the ribs there as his play seemed to drop off a bit at that point.
I think SDSU is a better team than they showed last nite. Lindley has been a good quarterback but he was near awful last nite, some due to our pressure but he just wasn't on. He missed a number of wide open receivers and some of his interceptions were head scratchers. Lindley was much better against us last year when we had a much better defense.

This was a game I thought was a very possible loss en route to an 8-4 season. Now 9-3 is a very good if not probable possibility with a loss to BSU. And although I certainly do not expect it, I wouldn't be completely surprised if we went to Boise and played over our heads and won the game, after all, it is our "Superbowl." Other than that, there is not a team left on our schedule we shouldn't beat. BYU is not a bad team but we should be expected to win that one. If we play really poorly, we could lose to CSU or Wyoming but shouldn't. It may not be theoretically possible to lose to NM or UNLV.

Waccy Frog

BYU will be a season defining game, in some ways. A good team; prime time Friday night on ESPN. I haven't written off the Boise game entirely, but it's time to recognize that winning that game will take one of the biggest upsets in TCU history. They are what we were last year - senior-laden and playing almost perfectly.

Raw Frog

i think the defense played significantly better, and as close to a complete game as we have seen so far. There were some missed tackles at the start by our linebackers, but those seemed to get better as the night went on. The secondary seemed to be playing more relaxed and more aggressive. Still lots of room to improve though.

On offense, Ed was on fire. Casey needs to work on looking off receivers and his pump fakes. He will learn from watching film on how he tried to force the ball into coverage. He threw it on a line sometimes, where if he would have put more loft on it, the receivers could run under it. i I loved the way we were going more vertical with the routes this week. Still want to see Dawson on some deep posts and flag routes to stretch it out. Hicks had a big night, and Boyce was fantastic again. Looked like we saw something on tape where Logan was open deep, since we went that way several times. Thought I was watching the mini me version of Jason Witten. That should open up others down the road. Good to see Casey also run the option a little better and more effective. it is getting better.

All in all, we had a good win on the road against one of the teams that could have beaten us. We have two weeks to heal, learn and regroup.
With a couple of plays going the other way, we could easily be 6-0 right now.
We are in a good place.......... Just hope the young players are seeing the team chemistry coming together and are having fun.

NativeFrog

Most important, we got a win. Otherwise, best thing about Saturday night was the fact we weren't playing a Big 12 school, other than maybe Kansas.

TCUdirtbag

Big win for this team. We are very much in the hunt for the MWC championship. Granted, that train rolls through Boise, ID and would require a HUGE upset.

I think it's fair to say our season was salvaged last night.

Nohitter

I must have been watching a different game. I thought I saw SDSU botch a field goal and fumble on the 2 in the first half which cost them 10 points. They also threw interceptions that looked like they were throwing to our guys instead of theirs. And if I remember correctly, there were 2 interceptions in the red zone by the good guys that cost at least 6 points. And...if the art of catching a punt is not corrected, it will end up contributing to another loss. The backups should have been playing by the middle of the third quarter. Instead, the game was still on and SDSU had the momentum. That being said, fortunately there were a lot of good things that helped overcome all that.

BYU will be a season defining game, in some ways. A good team; prime time Friday night on ESPN. I haven't written off the Boise game entirely, but it's time to recognize that winning that game will take one of the biggest upsets in TCU history. They are what we were last year - senior-laden and playing almost perfectly.

Seems a while back that much the same was said about #5 Oklahoma (2005). Never write off TCU

I do think the Frogs wère a little lucky last night but, on the other hand, you have to give the Frogs credit for causing the turnovers. There is plenty of room for improvement but there was noticeable improvement last night.