• The KillerFrogs

Fire Kendal Briles

y2kFrog

Briles asks too much of Hoover. He came out throwing rather than trying to establish run first (which hasn't been working well either and where was Sanders in the first half?)

Hoover was off last night and it was evident early, yet Briles kept calling passing plays. I thought he was a run-first OC?

IMO bad strategy especially with a young QB. Figure out how to run thee ball early and let Hoover and the offense settle in and set up the defense for the passing game.

He was run first at Arky because his QB couldn't throw, but he's an Air Raid guy. The Air Raid usually takes a year to get fully established. It may not look good at time, but they way you learn it is trial by fire. Mistakes are going to happen especially with a inexperienced QB.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
He was run first at Arky because his QB couldn't throw, but he's an Air Raid guy. The Air Raid usually takes a year to get fully established. It may not look good at time, but they way you learn it is trial by fire. Mistakes are going to happen especially with a inexperienced QB.
Except TCU has been running Air Raid for a decade, since Doug Meacham came in as OC in 2013.

As much as I would love to hate on anything with the last name Briles. I agree with others on here that the issue is that we can’t throw the ball deep. Teams are daring us to and Morris apparently isn’t good at it and Hoover is either throwing too early or just putting too much on the ball cause things haven’t slowed down enough for him yet. On top of that, our oline just isnt very good and that falls on Sonny and the entire staff.

The defensive scheme while not perfect, the 3rd and 21 play was gross, it was better this game. Our guys just don’t tackle. Some of that is being late on reads and being tentative(which could be a system issue), and some of it is just lack of effort. Defense is about doing your job and wanting to go hit someone and we don’t seem to have very much of that.

We as a whole are not well coached and dare I say appear to not be in the best shape. Last year we outworked and outlasted almost everyone we played. This year we got a big ol bag of nothing stamina wise.

Limey Frog

Briles asks too much of Hoover. He came out throwing rather than trying to establish run first (which hasn't been working well either and where was Sanders in the first half?)

Hoover was off last night and it was evident early, yet Briles kept calling passing plays. I thought he was a run-first OC?

IMO bad strategy especially with a young QB. Figure out how to run the ball early and let Hoover and the offense settle in and set up the defense for the passing game.
Johnny Tape-fingers wants to do what Johnny Tape-fingers wants to do.

Look at Matt Rhule's approach at Nebraska for what good coaches do. He didn't go in there planning to run an option offense (even though it's Nebraska and that's what the locals love to see). He's doing that because that's the players he has and it's the best way to win right now. And looky, looky... they're winning.

y2kFrog

Except TCU has been running Air Raid for a decade, since Doug Meacham came in as OC in 2013.

Not really at all. What we did against BYU and last night at Tech was the first time we ran the true Mike Leach concepts. Any other stuff we did in the pass only borrowed minor parts. Garret Riley’s offense last year was basically 0 Air Raid concepts.

BleedNPurple

Our lines got manhandled on both sides of the ball. Everyone knows they can run up the middle all day long on us. Defense takes multiple players to get anyone down.

On a side note - I think we need to be trying out other field goal kickers because our guy has let us down and that needs to be an automatic.

Tech dared us to throw the deep ball most of the game. We threw it several times, but overthrew the WR by 5 yards or more. That’s the worst way to miss that throw. Gotta throw it at the back of the defender’s helmet. He can’t turn around and spot it and our WR has the advantage of tracking the ball.

Throw at DB’s helmet and you catch it, or get a PI. We’ve overthrown it with Hoover and Morris all year. This offense doesn’t work without a deep threat.

Think Baylor 2013-14, offense worked because Petty could throw that deep 50/50 ball. Safeties creep back to adjust, RB ripped off 10 yard gain - rinse and repeat.

Briles coaches this. We just don’t have a qb that can run this offense. We better find a guy who can throw a deep ball or it’s gonna be more of the same next year.

Can’t fire an OC after one year. What OC is gonna want the job next?
A short version of the 61-58 game popped up on my Twitter feed the other day. It was unreal how many times Petty just threw it out there 30+ yards down the field and his receivers went and got it. Petty wasn't spot on every time, but he got the ball close enough to let his receivers do their job. We don't have that. Kendal may run a "lite" version of that offense, but it still needs a deep threat to work. Without it, you're seeing what we get.

This is not an Air Raid offense, and that is the problem. We'd have been better off sticking with the Air Raid rather than this veer n' shoot nonsense. Only Tennessee and Syracuse are running something similar, at least at the P5 level.

Limey Frog

Yes. Riley does not want to go back to his ex (TCU) since he broke up with her (TCU).
He might be looking for a job also
Visit the Clemson boards
Exactly. He thought he was making a career move that would help him land a P5 head coaching job, instead he's getting blamed for Dabo's stubbornness. I don't think he's to blame for what is going wrong at Clemson: that was clearly going wrong already (see them in 2022 contrasted with DJ at Oregon State now). Garret made what looked to be a good decision but turned out to be a mistake. His offense wasn't perfect here--we went long stretches of games where we couldn't move the ball at all, but I think he was a much better OC than Johnny Finger-tape. I'd take him back if it was on offer.

tmcats

bob knight used to say that if you have to gimmick your way to wins, you're not going to win very often. he was talking about 'pressing/up-tempo' basketball. that view of his always comes to mind when i watch teams like txt and tcu who run around on offense in a perpetual 2-minute drill. that results too often in penalties, mistakes, and drilling their own defense. i can't name a single team that has won a natty with race horse strategies. the best teams in this conference and every other p5 league do not use it.

Last edited:

PurpleBlood87

Maybe Sonny should follow Deion Sanders lead.

Deion Sanders is elevating quality control analyst Pat Shurmur to offensive play-caller for Colorado's game with Oregon State on Saturday, according to a report Friday from Brett McMurphy of The Action Network.

Offensive coordinator Sean Lewis will remain on staff and signal in plays for the Buffs' game with the Beavers.

To make the move, Sanders would have to remove one coach from Colorado's on-field staff. It was unknown at press time who would be demoted, and whether that demotion will be permanent or temporary.

Shurmur is the former head coach of the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants. He coordinated offenses for the St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos. Lewis left the head coaching position at Kent State to take the offensive coordinator post at Colorado.