• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
@BrewingFrog - Which sounds ridiculous to take that weapon out of your arsenal. Hoov and most qb's not named Jared Lorenzen can get plenty of yards running and get down or out safely.
I know. It makes me grind my teeth...

Having that extra dimension keeps the defense guessing. While they are likely afraid of injury, Hoover is more likely to be squished in the pocket than running free.

PurpleSouthpaw

The defense turned it over as many times as the offense did.

It's sad when giving up 29 points and 486 yards at home is viewed as a reasonably good defensive effort.
We just held the #7 team in the country to their season low. On top of which we only let up 3 points in the second half, mainly because our offense was able to be on the field long enough to give the defense some recovery time. If our offense showed up in the first half, I think defense would have performed even better. And that is coming from someone who isn’t a JG fan.

Overall, defense did a fairly good job, just the blown TD at the end of first half. Put things in context before you complain about stat lines.

CountryFrog

Great points all but for goodness sakes the defense JUST FORCED a FG and we are in a 13 point game why are we callimng deep route pass plays with .55 on the clock we hadnt gone 80 to score all half but NOW we want to take risks? Run the ball if you pop one then take a shot but to turn it over there is demoralizing when your defense is keeping you in a game.
Fair enough. I don't think it's an either/or situation. Obviously it all started with the mistake by the offense. You can blame the decision to try and throw down the field I guess but it was actually a relatively safe play call. You roll your QB out to get him away from the pass rush and give him only half the field to read. If there's nothing there then he should just tuck and run to keep the clock moving. But either way it was an offensive mistake regardless of whether you want to put it on the coaching decision or the players mistake.

As far as the defense just forcing a FG. Great. Now go do it again. If there has still been 2 or 3 minutes on the clock then it would be different. But with 50 seconds you have to be able to get that stop. That's what you have to do sometimes in football. And let's not forget by the way that one of those Texas field goals was only "forced" due to a terrible overthrow by Ewers when he had a wide open Mitchell on their 3rd down for what should've been a TD. The defense easily could've (and probably should have) given up 31 points in the half.

CountryFrog

We just held the #7 team in the country to their season low. On top of which we only let up 3 points in the second half, mainly because our offense was able to be on the field long enough to give the defense some recovery time. If our offense showed up in the first half, I think defense would have performed even better. And that is coming from someone who isn’t a JG fan.

Overall, defense did a fairly good job, just the blown TD at the end of first half. Put things in context before you complain about stat lines.
How's this for context? Texas had ~340 yards and scored 26 points in the first half. And the only reason they didn't score 31 is because of a terrible overthrow by Ewers when he had a wide open Mitchell for what should've been a TD and a botched PAT. The defense didn't force either of those mistakes. In what world is any of that a "fairly good job?"

On the positive side, they were great in the second half overall. But when you play that awful in the first half then you give yourself nearly zero margin for error in the second. And when you have a 3rd & 12 where a stop gives your offense the ball back with 2 minutes and probably very good field position to go win the game and don't get that stop then that's pretty bad too.

So there's the context of that game. And for added context the defense has had their asses handed to them by just about every decent offense they've played in the last 2 seasons with the 2022 Texas game being the lone bright spot.

PineyWoodsFrog

How's this for context? Texas had ~340 yards and scored 26 points in the first half. And the only reason they didn't score 31 is because of a terrible overthrow by Ewers when he had a wide open Mitchell for what should've been a TD and a botched PAT. The defense didn't force either of those mistakes. In what world is any of that a "fairly good job?"

On the positive side, they were great in the second half overall. But when you play that awful in the first half then you give yourself nearly zero margin for error in the second. And when you have a 3rd & 12 where a stop gives your offense the ball back with 2 minutes and probably very good field position to go win the game and don't get that stop then that's pretty bad too.

So there's the context of that game. And for added context the defense has had their asses handed to them by just about every decent offense they've played in the last 2 seasons with the 2022 Texas game being the lone bright spot.
Agreed. I like to look at the details and not just the summary. Summary doesn't always tell the whole story. We should have learned this from last season. We lose by 3 points and now we're Moral Victory U.

Froggy Style

Don't be fooled by Texas, like Kansas State, shutting things down in the second half. That does not mean you played well when the other team is up so much they simply run the ball every down to run out the clock. I think Texas was surprised we actually showed a pulse on offense. Either way terrible coaching on defense...and keeping the crappy zone defense in place with safeties 25 yards deep....until we actually had them in a pure passing play on the last play that mattered. Then we went to a man to man with no safety help....because Gillespie is a moron.

Frogs1983

He actually ran a reasonable scheme against Sark. It was the offense that turned the ball over and killed us this time. I cannot throw Gillespie on the pyre this time.
Agree. D played well most of this game. A few silly penalties, and mistakes, but overall the D played a good game.

NewFrogFan

I know. It makes me grind my teeth...

Having that extra dimension keeps the defense guessing. While they are likely afraid of injury, Hoover is more likely to be squished in the pocket than running free.
Jayden Daniels did “it” like no other Sat night, he can really run!

fanatical frog

I'm as uncomfortable with our defense as anyone else on this forum......I hate the soft coverage almost as much as I hate the fact we don't seem to believe pressuring the QB is all that important.

So I was shocked to see on the B12 website that our defense ranks 4th in the conference in overall efficiency (however that's calculated) ; 1st in the conference on passing defense / 8th on rushing defense and 6th in scoring D....which is only 6 ppg out of first place.

Not great numbers but not really bad numbers and hardly bad enough to get a DC fired.

Or maybe I just got cross-eyed reading the numbers, if so it's not going to hurt my feelings to be corrected.

FrogCop19

I'm as uncomfortable with our defense as anyone else on this forum......I hate the soft coverage almost as much as I hate the fact we don't seem to believe pressuring the QB is all that important.

So I was shocked to see on the B12 website that our defense ranks 4th in the conference in overall efficiency (however that's calculated) ; 1st in the conference on passing defense / 8th on rushing defense and 6th in scoring D....which is only 6 ppg out of first place.

Not great numbers but not really bad numbers and hardly bad enough to get a DC fired.

Or maybe I just got cross-eyed reading the numbers, if so it's not going to hurt my feelings to be corrected.
**Edited to say I just re-read this and it seems like an attack on you. It's not intended to be at ALL. Frustration runs rampant from games like this where we should have won (and did win last year) but failed.

There's three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

8th and 6th puts us in the back half/middle of the conference in both of those stats, respectively. The only reason we're 1st in pass is that we've sold out for the pass (poorly, I might add) and invited people to run. Which they have, gladly. Also, the reason we've gotten that "good" in rushing and scoring D is because we have consistently turned the ball over multiple times and given the opposition short fields.

The other problem is that our offense hasn't been supporting our defense, which accounts for the number of losses, specifically one-score games. Our defense could be the best in the league, but if we don't step up and stop making stupid calls on offense in the red zone, we will continue to hover mid/back half of the pack. I really do feel like we have the horses in just about every position to be successful if we make the right calls. Williams and Bailey showed us what they're capable of in that second half. Hoover is very accurate when he has the time; I've seen him thread the needle on so many occasions that Max struggled with last year, and that Morris was seemingly incapable of doing. But when he has to run for his life, and apparently he has been forbidden to use his legs to go past the line of scrimmage, he makes mistakes (like any freshman, hell any QB, thrust into this situation would).

There's a reason people are calling for BOTH the OC and DC's head. It's not the offense, it's not the defense, it's not even the special teams. It's the broken puzzle that all three have failed to create. This is the opposite of the "sum is greater than its parts," our team's sum is somehow LESS than its parts.

And that's a coaching issue.

Froggy Style

Our offense in conference has been run by an immobile freshman and we're down by 30 in the second half of most games. There's no surprise the other team does little on offense in the second half. It's the late cycle GP way of getting stats that keep you looking less than the worst in the country.

y2kFrog

Our offense in conference has been run by an immobile freshman and we're down by 30 in the second half of most games. There's no surprise the other team does little on offense in the second half. It's the late cycle GP way of getting stats that keep you looking less than the worst in the country.
We’ve been down by 30 once this season. 4 of our 6 losses were by 7 or less. 3 of those being by a field goal.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Don't be fooled by Texas, like Kansas State, shutting things down in the second half. That does not mean you played well when the other team is up so much they simply run the ball every down to run out the clock. I think Texas was surprised we actually showed a pulse on offense. Either way terrible coaching on defense...and keeping the crappy zone defense in place with safeties 25 yards deep....until we actually had them in a pure passing play on the last play that mattered. Then we went to a man to man with no safety help....because Gillespie is a moron.

Man I’m surprised how pissed you are. To say it so directly he must really suck. Question is who do we get as a replacement and please god tell me Sonny actually replaces him…

fanatical frog

**Edited to say I just re-read this and it seems like an attack on you. It's not intended to be at ALL. Frustration runs rampant from games like this where we should have won (and did win last year) but failed.

There's three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

8th and 6th puts us in the back half/middle of the conference in both of those stats, respectively. The only reason we're 1st in pass is that we've sold out for the pass (poorly, I might add) and invited people to run. Which they have, gladly. Also, the reason we've gotten that "good" in rushing and scoring D is because we have consistently turned the ball over multiple times and given the opposition short fields.

The other problem is that our offense hasn't been supporting our defense, which accounts for the number of losses, specifically one-score games. Our defense could be the best in the league, but if we don't step up and stop making stupid calls on offense in the red zone, we will continue to hover mid/back half of the pack. I really do feel like we have the horses in just about every position to be successful if we make the right calls. Williams and Bailey showed us what they're capable of in that second half. Hoover is very accurate when he has the time; I've seen him thread the needle on so many occasions that Max struggled with last year, and that Morris was seemingly incapable of doing. But when he has to run for his life, and apparently he has been forbidden to use his legs to go past the line of scrimmage, he makes mistakes (like any freshman, hell any QB, thrust into this situation would).

There's a reason people are calling for BOTH the OC and DC's head. It's not the offense, it's not the defense, it's not even the special teams. It's the broken puzzle that all three have failed to create. This is the opposite of the "sum is greater than its parts," our team's sum is somehow LESS than its parts.

And that's a coaching issue.
I'm as frustrated as anyone else is. And while I've lost any confidence I might have had in our coordinators I've also come to believe that some multiple of our scholarship athletes are performing way below the level they're capable of.

CSD mentioned a few weeks back that a number of our "new" kids haven't bought into the system. On the one hand it's hard to blame them but on the other hand "buying into the system" ain't their job....their role is to go out there on the field and punch somebody in the mouth.

I agree the puzzle is broken. Sonny is getting the big bucks so it's his job to fix it. I'm convinced that fixing the puzzle does not end with making changes on the coaching staff.......a major element in fixing this puzzle will be to have the malcontents clean out their lockers.

I hope he does that.

Bruce Berry

Has anyone ever seen Gillespie and PurpleSouthpaw in the same room at the same time?

Just sayin.

Latest posts