• The KillerFrogs

Fiesta Bowl tickets--$18

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/uconn_begs_fans_to_buy_tix_facing_huge_loss/3803701

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/uconn-begs-fans-to-buy-tix-facing-huge-loss-29342

Tickets are going cheap for Fiesta Bowl tickets because nobody wants to go see OU vs UConn. OU fans couldn't care less about seeing their team play UConn. UConn was allotted 17,000 tickets and has only sold 4,000. Ticket brokers have tickets for $18 when the face value is at least $111.The university will have to absorb the unsold tickets and hotel rooms to the tune of 2.5 million. OU is not selling their entire allotment either.

Is this fitting payback to the Fiesta Bowl for last year's two non-AQ match-up that no body wanted? The BCS sucks big time for forcing this match-up on the football world.

You know what guys, I'm tired of people blaming the Fiesta Bowl for the match up with BSU last year. From my viewpoint, the Fiesta Bowl gave us our first BCS bid. They wanted TCU. We should acknowledge that fact and yes appreciate them. We were all disapointed in the match up, but the system created it not just the Fiesta. We may need them to want us back in the future. I wish the Fiesta well.

InnerloopFrog

Every one keeps talking about UConn and others takng a bath on these poor sales. First don't forget they are also getting $17 million so they can afford a 2 million deficit in sales.

And don't most conferences take all the payouts of all bowls and all the obligations and then divide up the net afterwards?

So talking about any one schoool taking a hit or a loss isn't right is it?

Go Frogs!

Every one keeps talking about UConn and others takng a bath on these poor sales. First don't forget they are also getting $17 million so they can afford a 2 million deficit in sales.

And don't most conferences take all the payouts of all bowls and all the obligations and then divide up the net afterwards?

So talking about any one schoool taking a hit or a loss isn't right is it?

Go Frogs!

Yeah it would make sense to distribute the net.

Cougar/Frog

The Fiesta has a large contingent of locals who buy "season tickets" to the Fiesta Bowl --- meaning they buy every year and are guaranteed a ticket for the BCS CG every fourth year. I met a bunch of them last year -----all of which were very happy for the matchup, but many of which admit they just try to sell the ticket when its a bad game..... This year, with the ability to make a bunch of money on the BCS CG, many are just trying to get anything for the Fiesta Bowl.....

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I'd rather see Boise vs OU part II.
Agreed. BSU travels well - they'd deluge the FB with orange & blue. Spanking OU again a la Poinsettia style would send Stoops packin' outta Norman. BSU doesn't do the weak excuses of "oh we're not up for the game so we didn't play our best" BS. They'd play hard & to win unlike over-entitled AQ's.

SF Husky

Talk about jumping to conclusion yet again without all the facts.

People that brought NC tickets outside the schools have to purchase Fiesta Bowl ticket as well. It was a requirement. As a result, tickets selling through UCONN at $165 to $250 are going for $20 to $35 on Stubhub and the open market by Oregon and Auburn fans. Do you guys seriously blame fans buying those tickets on their own vs. the school? Asking people to overpay by $150 to $280 per ticket is asking a lot just to support your school. Not to mention bowl package through UCONN is at $2300 per person double occupancy. UCONN is 2600+ miles away from Glendale. UCONN, with 4 bowls we been to, have sent anywhere from 10K to 15K to all the bowls so far each time. Thats not like Ohio State, but it is not poor by any means.

How much is the TCU package? I am betting it is not even close to the $2300 being asked for each fan to pay by buying through the school. If Frog fans can buy tickets on the open market for 80% to 90% less than your school, would all of you guys still buy through the school? If you guys do, then either you are all really rich, blindly royal to TCU that you will overpay anything that's TCU related or not very smart financially. Unfortunately most UCONN fans aren't that rich.

Plenty of UCONN fans brought tickets on their own vs. going through the school. There will be plenty of UCONN fans in the stand at the game than the 4K sold through school so far.

FYI, OU only sold 8K of tickets so far too and they are only 800 miles away and within driving distance. Should people bash them too? Maybe their fans are trying to save some money by buying on the open market too. It really is asking a lot to expect people to fork over $200 more per ticket just so you can buy through the school. Under the current situation with all the tickets available on Stubhub (I seen tickets as low as $4 a piece), it is asking a lot even for diehards.

I'll bet John Junker would too. :tongue:

Him, too.
biggrin.gif
Can't believe I got his name wrong!

Talk about jumping to conclusion yet again without all the facts.

People that brought NC tickets outside the schools have to purchase Fiesta Bowl ticket as well. It was a requirement. As a result, tickets selling through UCONN at $165 to $250 are going for $20 to $35 on Stubhub and the open market by Oregon and Auburn fans. Do you guys seriously blame fans buying those tickets on their own vs. the school? Asking people to overpay by $150 to $280 per ticket is asking a lot just to support your school. Not to mention bowl package through UCONN is at $2300 per person double occupancy. UCONN is 2600+ miles away from Glendale. UCONN, with 4 bowls we been to, have sent anywhere from 10K to 15K to all the bowls so far each time. Thats not like Ohio State, but it is not poor by any means.

How much is the TCU package? I am betting it is not even close to the $2300 being asked for each fan to pay by buying through the school. If Frog fans can buy tickets on the open market for 80% to 90% less than your school, would all of you guys still buy through the school? If you guys do, then either you are all really rich, blindly royal to TCU that you will overpay anything that's TCU related or not very smart financially. Unfortunately most UCONN fans aren't that rich.

Plenty of UCONN fans brought tickets on their own vs. going through the school. There will be plenty of UCONN fans in the stand at the game than the 4K sold through school so far.

FYI, OU only sold 8K of tickets so far too and they are only 800 miles away and within driving distance. Should people bash them too? Maybe their fans are trying to save some money by buying on the open market too. It really is asking a lot to expect people to fork over $200 more per ticket just so you can buy through the school. Under the current situation with all the tickets available on Stubhub (I seen tickets as low as $4 a piece), it is asking a lot even for diehards.
Some good points and I linked to your post on the Big east board. Fiesta kinda drove the prices down by requiring people to buy for both games. Still, fair or not, UConn will get branded as a poor traveler, at least until its fans figure out that you only hurt the school by not purchasing tickets through the school.

One point- our Rose bowl packages were very expensive. Most people had to pay 600-800 for plane tickets alone. On average, it was definitely cheaper last year to the Fiesta, mainly because of the plane costs, but LA is also much more expensive.

SF Husky

Some good points and I linked to your post on the Big east board. Fiesta kinda drove the prices down by requiring people to buy for both games. Still, fair or not, UConn will get branded as a poor traveler, at least until its fans figure out that you only hurt the school by not purchasing tickets through the school.

One point- our Rose bowl packages were very expensive. Most people had to pay 600-800 for plane tickets alone. On average, it was definitely cheaper last year to the Fiesta, mainly because of the plane costs, but LA is also much more expensive.

If UCONN fans gonna get labeled as poor travelers because of the Fiesta Bowl situation, then they need to label Oklahoma and Virginia Tech fans too. OU sold only 8K of tickets and they are within driving distance. Virginia Tech sold only 6500 tickets to the Orange Bowl so far. Either fans of those schools don't buy their tickets through their schools or they are poor travelers.

Total bowl package through UCONN is at $2600 per person single occupancy and $2300 for double. People paid less than that for a week long vacation in Europe. In this economy, that's a tough sell. UCONN fans have gobbled up all the lower bowl tickets at $111 a piece while all the very high priced ones are remaining. This tells me people do want to buy but they also know fair prices.

https://ems.resrunner.com/_events/818/packages.html

Also, asking people over pay 80% to 90% premium on ticket prices vs. open market is asking for a lot. People are royal to their schools, but they are not stupid. I think to see if Rose bowl tickets ate 80% to 90% less than school's prices, how many TCU fans or fans of any school for that matter would still buy through their schools.

If UCONN fans gonna get labeled as poor travelers because of the Fiesta Bowl situation, then they need to label Oklahoma and Virginia Tech fans too. OU sold only 8K of tickets and they are within driving distance. Virginia Tech sold only 6500 tickets to the Orange Bowl so far. Either fans of those schools don't buy their tickets through their schools or they are poor travelers.

Total bowl package through UCONN is at $2600 per person single occupancy and $2300 for double. People paid less than that for a week long vacation in Europe. In this economy, that's a tough sell. UCONN fans have gobbled up all the lower bowl tickets at $111 a piece while all the very high priced ones are remaining. This tells me people do want to buy but they also know fair prices.

https://ems.resrunner.com/_events/818/packages.html

Also, asking people over pay 80% to 90% premium on ticket prices vs. open market is asking for a lot. People are royal to their schools, but they are not stupid. I think to see if Rose bowl tickets ate 80% to 90% less than school's prices, how many TCU fans or fans of any school for that matter would still buy through their schools.
I do think Va Tech has a bit of a poor rep from last year's and this year's numbers. OU probably won't get hurt too much, though since they've had other good showings.

I do think its a tough situation with some valid extenuating circumstances, but I still think if you can afford to make the trip to Phoenix, just get the game tickets through the school. It is only going to increase your overall trip expense by a 10% or so at the most, and it helps prevent damning reputation as being a poor traveling school, which can be tough to shake. We don't have much responsibility as fans, but this is one of our responsibilities. Get bowl tickets through the school, even if it is more expensive or slightly better seats. It's the least you can do for the team.

Dogfrog

You know what guys, I'm tired of people blaming the Fiesta Bowl for the match up with BSU last year. From my viewpoint, the Fiesta Bowl gave us our first BCS bid. They wanted TCU. We should acknowledge that fact and yes appreciate them. We were all disapointed in the match up, but the system created it not just the Fiesta. We may need them to want us back in the future. I wish the Fiesta well.

Well...no. Fiesta didn't give us our first BCS bid. TCU coaches and players earned it by being the highest ranked non AQ. One of the bowls was forced to take us. IMO we don't owe Fiesta anything. It's Boise who should be grateful. But the BCS / Fiesta chose to invite Boise as our opponent, which wasn't the best choice for us.

Endless Purple

One thing a lot of TCU fans have figured out is that we don't make the rules. We just have to learn how to make them work for us as best we can. In terms of perception, you need to be talking to your neighbors at ESPN. Nothing about the BCS or the current bowl set up is fair (at least based on performance).

------

I have to admit though, that I do like the idea that the BE does not have a tie in to a specific bowl. VT could win the ACC many many consecutive years and end up in the Orange Bowl every time. That would get boring as a visiting fan.

PurplePutt

Looks like UConn will go in the hole.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/UConn-made-the-BCS-and-all-it-got-was-this-loom?urn=ncaaf-296921

sandiegojack

Guys, a lot of this is the state of the economy. Spending thousands to see a relatively irrelevant game that will probably be one sided is not in the budget for a lot of people these days.

sdj

FfldCntyFan

One thing I find amazing is how some information is hidden while other similar information spreads like wildfire. Everyone in the country knows that we are having difficulty selling our allotment while our ticket sales aren't that far behind what Va Tech did last year (to a destination they could drive to in a day) yet this was only made public recently and you need to dig in order to find this tidbit.

Va Tech likes to promote themselves as school who travels like an SEC fanbase but this may end up being little more than bluster. Oklahoma has a legendary reputation for fan travel and their fan base was likely planning on the Fiesta bowl since the spring game yet they are going to leave more than 10,000 tickets unsold. While it is not an excuse, the secondary market (people are advertising seats for $20 each that the school is selling for $163 each plus fees) is hurting both participating schools. Thousands of Oregon and Auburn fans are dumping tickets (which they were required to buy) for whatever they can get for them.

I agree with the poster who prefers that we are not tied into one bowl game. It appears to be a better deal (assuming a couple of consecutive conference titles) to play the Orange one year, the Sugar on another, etc. This is far better than one destination two or three years in a row.

weklfrog

This situation is one of the biggest downsides of the bowl system that so many school presidents seem to support. The bowls are ripping them off big time. The bowls make their money by making completely one-sided and unfair requirements and hold the schools hostage with them. The schools are basicially paying the bowls for the priviledge of playing in their games. The whole sordid system should be dumped.