• The KillerFrogs

Fear the Lavender....

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I remember it fondly...we stunk at football, weren't a very well known school. I was a lousy HS student that basically drove up and registered for class. Doubtful I would even get in today....

Me too, arrived ‘77 August for band basic training 2 weeks before the rest of campus. Drove right up the rear of Clark hall & offloaded my crap from dads 1973 Malibu & reported to duty marching my scrawny little butt every day from 0800–not for the faint of heart tho we did have some fainters. Halftime in September was ShowTime when we marched in heavy wool uniforms, sweatin’ Balls, already down 45-0 on scoreboard.

Good ole daze......

ShreveFrog

Not really a kidding matter for those of us that knew Alec Pittman and were in close proximity when coach Pitt went to the ground violently. Truly a shocking and sad night.

We lived in Wedgewood and some other coaches' boys lived in the neighborhood. I remember some backyard pickup football games with Alec Tohill (?) and a Bourgeois (sp?) boy. We went to Westcreek Elementary.

My family went to the game at Baylor while I was trick or treating. I remember Dad describing what happened when they got home. Sad.

Limp Lizard

The Startlegram referred to us as the Lavender Hill Mob after the 30s mob gang.
The Lavender HIll Mob refers to a 1951 British comedy. The stars included Alec Guinness.

The British 50's dark comedy I want to see come out on DVD is "How to Murder a Rich Uncle." Saw it as a kid and thought it was hilarious.

1974-75 I believe.

Lavender is not "Royal Purple" which is TCU's prime color.

Maybe AD Frank W was offered a "good price" on lavender uniforms so he declared the color "close enough" in order to save a few bucks.
We had a new coach come in (a TX ass't) who did what DKR did at TX whan he started coaching there. DKR changed them from orange to the burnt orange. BTW, this was the coach who had the heart attack and died in Waco. I'm old and can't recall his name

Leap Frog

I remember it fondly...we stunk at football, weren't a very well known school. I was a lousy HS student that basically drove up and registered for class. Doubtful I would even get in today....
Frogs really didn't stink in Jim Pittman's only year (1971). Record was 6-4-1 and 5-2 in SWC.
However, his replacement, Billy Tohill, was a bad choice-- 5-6 in '72 and 3-8 in '73.
Then things got very bad under Jim Shofner-- a truly good man, but not head coach material. A great asst. coach .

Froginbedford

We had a new coach come in (a TX ass't) who did what DKR did at TX whan he started coaching there. DKR changed them from orange to the burnt orange. BTW, this was the coach who had the heart attack and died in Waco. I'm old and can't recall his name

Jim Pittman came to TCU from being head coach at Tulane....

Froginbedford

Frogs really didn't stink in Jim Pittman's only year (1971). Record was 6-4-1 and 5-2 in SWC.
However, his replacement, Billy Tohill, was a bad choice-- 5-6 in '72 and 3-8 in '73.
Then things got very bad under Jim Shofner-- a truly good man, but not head coach material. A great asst. coach .

Pittman's team was Fred Taylor's recruiting....Taylor had a couple of 4-3 SWC seasons, but the over schedulting out side killed his season records with only the conference wins and no OOC and his last two years were the first two years of UT blowing the Frogs out of the stadium....At the time Pittman died, I remember lots of coffee shop discussions that he might have turned things around....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The Lavender HIll Mob refers to a 1951 British comedy. The stars included Alec Guinness.

The British 50's dark comedy I want to see come out on DVD is "How to Murder a Rich Uncle." Saw it as a kid and thought it was hilarious.
Don’t know where I got the gang thing, it came back immediately when you mentioned the movie. Old timers disease.