• The KillerFrogs

Fan Nation: Chris Del Conte Reveals Why Longhorns Added Gary Patterson To Staff

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
So, you're saying that the emotional bomb of Patterson being fired had no bearing* on the team's performance? Only his scheming?

I think he realized, belatedly, what an ass he had been. Doesn't alter things, and, had I been there, I'd have hollered my lungs out for the man.

*Forgive me. I knew not what I done...
I didn’t say that.

AustinFrog

TCU, whether he likes "it" or not, will ALWAYS be his school. It will be his legacy - but IMO he's tainted it severely by bedding down with the Longhorn clan. That's his mistake and it's unfortunate for him.
He has destroyed his legacy at TCU. You can be a Horned Frog or a Horn but NEVER both. He made his choice, he is a Horn. Now come and get that statue off my campus.

Every article seems to make this feel a lot stranger. It's becoming very clear that we have an AD problem. I think a lot of the coaches don't feel like they have the support of Donati like they did under CDC. It really felt like Patterson was feeling some pressure from all sides that wasn't solely on him. The football program needed refreshed look. That ultimately rests on one person, but I am also not sure Patterson had the full support he needed at the end. The way CJS left is still beyond strange. TCU's baseball program was struggling compared to recent years, but it was still very good. He left for A&M team that can't get out of its own way. If you think TCU has an issue right now you might want to see look at the Aggie program.

As for this move I really think it is Sark and CDC hitting the panic button. My gut tells me this might the last year for one of them, and I am going to guess it is CDC. If CDC goes I think Sark knows he is next on that list. At $150k a year for Patterson there has to be another reason. There might be a chance he gets the UT HC job, but maybe he is looking for a renewed spirit in coaching. I don't know his endgame, but I will say I don't think this ends well for someone, and maybe all three of them.

The Big 12 took a hit recently. I think a lot of people at TCU hit the panic button when they needed some patience.

Randy Galloway...is that you??

FrogBall09

Please tell me you aren't saying taking relative pennies to be an analyst for Steve Sarkisian is in any way comparable to taking a few less relative pennies for the repeatedly-proven career rehab that is being an analyst for best-college-football-coach-in-history Nick Saban?
did you read the article or just spout off? that is exactly what they are working to create - you can argue if they will succeed or not but given that the two guys who think it is a good idea are way more successful in their careers and made more last year alone than most people commenting against them will make in a lifetime - my guess is they think you are all idiots that have no idea and they are probably right.

TCUdirtbag

did you read the article or just spout off? that is exactly what they are working to create - you can argue if they will succeed or not but given that the two guys who think it is a good idea are way more successful in their careers and made more last year alone than most people commenting against them will make in a lifetime - my guess is they think you are all idiots that have no idea and they are probably right.
You could’ve just answered my question “yes, actually I am saying that and I’m buying what CDC is selling.” But that response wouldn’t allow you to cover your hot (and IMO very bad) take by just attacking my more reasonable position.

FrogBall09

You could’ve just answered my question “yes, actually I am saying that and I’m buying what CDC is selling.” But that response wouldn’t allow you to cover your hot (and IMO very bad) take by just attacking my more reasonable position.
and you could have not responded originally.....sorry if I think it is funny that so many guys here on question the career decisions of people who are wildly more successful than the questioner could ever hope to be.

TcuFrog1994

Patterson was on the downhill slide. A blind man could see it. As has been revealed on this here Board, he was given many chances and he blew all of them. At the end, he showed outright contempt to people who had supported him and departed in the most graceless manner possible. Now, he's living out some sort of revenge-fantasy down in Austin, and happily volunteering to be a pawn in all the Machiavellian schemes going on down there. Sark was fired the day he was hired, the only question being how long he would manage to stay on. Patterson is just one more pressure point.

Schloss got painfully divorced, lied to everybody about matters, and mentally skipped town long before his coaching tenure ended.

In neither case has Donati acted stupidly, save that he probably gave more rope than he should have.
I couldn't agree more! You nailed it.

Frog Attack II

Since I am a 3rd generation Frog who grew up in Ft. Worth and have been attending games since 1968. I think I have some idea of who actually built our school. I also know that come November GP will be preparing players and a game plan to defeat TCU.
Well, I sure hope he is developing the game plan against HCSD's TCU Horned Frogs... cause it damn near guarantees a TCU victory. Gary was Dykes' [ hundin] the last 2 times we played SMU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virginia Frog

dumb and really shows you have no idea who actually built our school....
Dr Tucker was material to TCU development in the '80s and '90s. (his tenure ended in 1998 so VERY pre-GP.)

First, a major effort was to revitalize via a virtual all-campus renovation (from dorms to athletic complex and academic and office spaces.)
Secondly, several new buildings which I can't itemize, Remember at that time efforts were made to "cap" ug enrollment to 7K later 7.5K so it reasonable that the full-out new building came on-board after him (which happened in the 2 decades after he turned over the keys to Dr Mick and then VicBo.)
Third, new and expanded academic areas especially engineering. That's why that building is named for him.
Lastly, Dr Tucker raised a lot of money - I know, he took ones money and made you feel good about it - and "set the stage" for further development. All pre-GP as HC.

GP did help grow the University and nobody with any sense is taking away his contribution and importance. To overstate his impact is biased.

Last edited:

Froggy Style

GP helped get the team ready for Baylor, which was not classless. TCU fired him and he had no obligation to take a nothing burger job.
Or...Gary quit on the team when he could have stayed to year end. Then roamed the halls and "helped" in case they won and made him look outdated and foolish.

Lesson to Gary: You can't sing for [ Finebaum ]...worry about your crappy schemes not working.

TCUdirtbag

and you could have not responded originally.....sorry if I think it is funny that so many guys here on question the career decisions of people who are wildly more successful than the questioner could ever hope to be.
I had something to say on a forum. Not sorry.

FWIW I haven’t been fired from a job for being bad at it either so.

HToady

You either agree or disagree that it was time for Gary to go....no matter. He was offered to stay in a multi million dollar position, he chose to join his old buddy at Texas for 150k. Might have been just to poke us in the eye? If he had stayed he would have been a thorn in the side of the guy that was chosen to take his place. He made the right call for TCU whether he really meant to or not.
In the words of Elsa....Let it go!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Lesson to Gary: You can't sing for [ #2020 ]...worry about your crappy schemes not working.
Unlike some "Country" crooners, he can carry a tune in a front-end loader. Plus, he is possessed of leathery vocal-cords that Merle Haggard would be deeply jealous of...