• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: BCS should give Mountain West AQ status

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ESPN: BCS should give Mountain West AQ status

By Andrea Adelson

The last time I spoke to Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, he made it seem pretty clear that his league would fall short of meeting specific criteria to become an automatic qualifying conference for the last two years of the current BCS cycle. The reason: The bottom of the league is dragging the MWC down when it comes to the overall strength of the conference.

The San Diego Union-Tribune confirmed that with a report on Friday after obtaining a league document that showed where the Mountain West stood headed into the final year of the BCS evaluation process. Sure enough, the league falls short in one of the three required categories -- overall conference strength. ...

If they weren't going to just "give" the MWC AQ status with TCU, BYU, Utah and Boise State in it, I can't imagine they are going to do it now.

cdsfrog

Wyoming, New Mexico, UNLV, and Colorado State. 4 reasons it will never get AQ status if that still exists in a few years

Not to mention Nevada may drop out of Division 1

BABYFACE

I imagine the justice dept letter may have something to do with it. The BCS needs to have the appearance of inclusion if a conference is close to qualifying. I guess it is possible the BCS could throw the MWC a bone if the MWC can back it up this season on the field. I only see the BCS extending an AQ invite to get the justice off their back and if they feeli it is the best move rather than digging in and willing to fight the US Gov if needed. However, if I was betting money, it would be on the BCS digging in rather than inviting the MWC.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I don't envision the MWC winning the 2 year waiver they'll be seeking. It'll be too easy to sell the idea that the MWC that would be awarded the waiver is not the same MWC that earned it.

gdice

Those pansies in the mountain west can't handle the week in, week out schedule of big conferences like the Big East

An-Cap Frog

Love Chris Ault, but this is his 3rd stint as the Wolfpack's coach...how many more years does this guy have?

Isn't Nevada having some financial difficulty?

cdsfrog

[quote name='Daniel '02' timestamp='1305658363' post='835906']
http://www.sbnation..../Jeremy%20Mauss

What does BleacherReport say on the matter?
[/quote]

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2011/04/11/1-5-million-or-7-5-percent-of-its-total-budget-may-be-cut-from-the-athletics-department-if-gov-brian-sandovals-budget-is-approved/

there are 10 different articles talking about budget cuts. I dont believe they will lose status but no need to be snippy

HG73

Boise is the ONLY team who deserves AQ and doesn't already have it. No AQ for MWC just because of ONE deserving team.

OmniscienceFrog

Boise is the ONLY team who deserves AQ and doesn't already have it.

Which leads to one of my biggest complaints about the BSC, which is all the teams they have given inclusion to that don't deserve it.

When you have numerous teams included that don't deserve it, how do you get away with saying no to the few that do deserve it, but can't get in?

frogbyproxy

Hate to say as much as the MWC deserves to be in the BCS they will not succeed. They will have someone fighting for the top 10 spot each year even after BYU, UTAH and TCU leaves. To me I think the BCS should be dissolved and go back to the bowl system of the past. If that had happened five years ago I feel TCU would have won a national championship already. We already know it will be a long fight getting a playoff.

mtmedlin

Wyoming, New Mexico, UNLV, and Colorado State. 4 reasons it will never get AQ status if that still exists in a few years

Not to mention Nevada may drop out of Division 1

I do wonder why they dont drop those 4. I believe it would leave them with 6 teams...then add the 4 strongest CUSA teams (ECU, UCF, Houston, SMU) or just add 2 (Houston and SMU)and you would have a qualifying conference. Smaller is better in their case because they dont have to pay teams that dont win and also their average will go up. I also think it would be interesting because it would offer a network provider games in varied time slots. Since their a conference that gets scheduled alot for "pay for wins" by the bigger 6 conferences, I would stick with only 8 conference games, which would help with the travel costs. Also, they could attemp to work out some neutral site games.
If they really want AQ, the MWC and CUSA need to realize they are better together then apart.

cdsfrog

I do wonder why they dont drop those 4. I believe it would leave them with 6 teams...then add the 4 strongest CUSA teams (ECU, UCF, Houston, SMU) or just add 2 (Houston and SMU)and you would have a qualifying conference. Smaller is better in their case because they dont have to pay teams that dont win and also their average will go up. I also think it would be interesting because it would offer a network provider games in varied time slots. Since their a conference that gets scheduled alot for "pay for wins" by the bigger 6 conferences, I would stick with only 8 conference games, which would help with the travel costs. Also, they could attemp to work out some neutral site games.
If they really want AQ, the MWC and CUSA need to realize they are better together then apart.

agree. add Tulsa/UCF/SMU/East Carolina or Houston and drop the bad crappy ones. Then you have an awesome conference

HG73

Dude, if adding SMEW and UH would make the MWC an AQ conference they would have added them years ago. What is your fascination with UH? Except for last year, UH is lucky to draw 20k fans to their run down high school stadium. They don't travel at all. They have no local fan support and no TV appeal. We know those guys having been in two different conferences with them. THEY BRING NOTHING. SMU is exactly the same except they play in a new high school stadium. UCF and ECU are light years ahead of SMU and UH. Their fans come to their games.

cdsfrog

SMU is going to get better with Jones as the coach. Wyoming, C State, UNLV, and New Mexico will remain terrible

SMU/UCF/Tulsa/Houston/East Carolina are better

geographically though I would say SMU and Tulsa. Houston would be ok too