• The KillerFrogs

Elite 11 reports-ESPN

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/...tory?id=5075450

Frazier's summer schedule filling up

By Gerry Hamilton
ESPN Recruiting

FORT WORTH, Texas -- It would seem Kiehl Frazier (Springdale, Ark./Shiloh Christian) had nothing to prove, with offers from many of the top programs in the country, but that clearly wasn't the case at Saturday's EA Sports Elite 11 Quarterback Camp.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Frazier continues to show why he is considered one of the top prospects in the country with another eye-catching performance, competing against a field that included talents such as Kendal Thompson (Moore, Okla./Southmoore), J.W. Walsh (Corinth, Texas/Denton Guyer), Michael Brewer (Austin, Texas/Lake Travis), Russell Bellomy (Arlington, Texas/Martin) and up-and-coming sophomore Matt Davis (Houston, Texas/Klein Forest).

"It's fun to come out and compete with all these good quarterbacks out here," Said Frazier, who didn't want it to be known before hand that he has a sports hernia that will require surgery on Tuesday. "There is so much potential and talent out here, just to get to compare myself with them is a chance to get better. The drills were great. Some of the drills like the bungy footwork drill were tough. They gave us some good tips that I can take home and work on."

Competing at the camp was the last part of a big weekend for Frazier, who visited Oklahoma on Friday. Saturday began with an unofficial visit to TCU (where the Elite 11 was held) for the annual purple and white game and a first chance to sit down with members of the Horned Frogs staff.

"It was fun. I met with coach [Justin] Fuente, coach [Gary] Patterson and met with the quarterbacks. I didn't know what to expect, but TCU probably moved up on my list because I had a great experience down here," Said Frazier, who took in the spring game from the sidelines.

TCU is the latest program to get in the mix for the All-American. Among more than 15 offers, four programs are recruiting Frazier the hardest with key relationships being built.

"Probably Arkansas, Miami and Kansas State are recruiting me the hardest and UCLA just got in the mix and are starting to come on. It's probably those four schools. I've built relationships with coach [Gus] Malzahan of Auburn because he is the first one who ever recruited me, coach [Garrick] McGhee because he is close at Arkansas, Coach Kyle Williams at Kansas State because he recruits me and today I got to know coach Fuente and coach Patterson and they impressed me a lot."

Trips to both coasts are being planned for the spring and summer.

"We'll probably go to Miami and Florida, because they are Florida, and UCLA and USC. After those four, I'm really not sure." Frazier said.

Finding the comfort with the chance to compete right away will be the perfect fit for the budding star.

"I really don't have a certain thing [as far as a scheme] I'm looking for. I'm just looking for where I fit, I'm comfortable and can come in and compete is what I'm looking for."

[+] Enlarge
Damion Driggins Kendal Thompson will be staying in-state to play his college ball.

Arkansas, Auburn, UCLA, Kansas State, Miami and Florida are considered the early favorites.

Future Big 12 QBs on target

The Big 12 has become a top quarterback-producing conference in recent years, with a number of signal-callers putting up record numbers, winning the Heisman and going on to NFL careers. On Saturday, there were four future Big 12 QBs with designs on keeping the growing reputation alive.

The event featured future Oklahoma Sooner Kendal Thomspon (Moore, Okla./Southmoore), Texas Tech commitment Michael Brewer (Austin, Texas/Lake Travis), J.W. Walsh (Corinth, Texas/Denton Guyer), a future Oklahoma State Cowboy, and Missouri pledge Corbin Berksetter (Lee's Summit, Mo.).

Thompson and Walsh were two of the day's top performers. Thompson showcased smooth footwork and accuracy, while Walsh impressed with his underrated athleticism and arm strength. Brewer got better and better as the day went on, flashing the winning spirit that helped lead Lake Travis to a third straight 4A state title, while Berkstresser was solid all-around.

"It was a nice day," said Berkstresser, who is 6-foot-4, 220-pounds. "I had some good throws. I got a little inaccurate near the end, but it was great. There was a lot of good competition. It was a good workout and there is stuff I can take back home to work on."

With performances like Saturday's, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound right-handed signal-caller will continue to attract college programs. Missouri fans, however, need not worry.

"When Missouri offered, that was it. I've always wanted to be a Missouri Tiger." Berksetter said.

Bram'tastic
University of Houston commitment Bram Kohlhausen (Houston, Texas/Lamar) didn't begin the day as one of the more talked about prospects in attendance, but that quickly changed with throw after throw on target with instinctive timing. "It's been real nice," Kohlhausen said. "It's run really well. You get a lot of reps and are evaluated at every station. It's real prestigious. I really need to improve on a little of everything," When the 6-foot-2, 205-pound right-hander pledged to the Cougars, head coach Kevin Sumlin and staff had found a hidden gem in a city recruited by more than 100 FBS programs and at a program know for producing top talent. Since that time, programs from outside the state lines have done their best to get into the picture with one SEC program in line to receive an unofficial visit this summer.

[+] Enlarge

Damion Driggins Bram Kohlhausen will follow in the footsteps of Case Keenum and Kevin Kolb at Houston.

"Utah and Ole Miss are recruiting me the hardest. I'm going to be at the Ole Miss camp this summer," Said the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder.

Beating the Cougars for the area prospect will be tough at the end of the day. Kohlhausen is not only one of three Houston Lamar juniors committed to Houston, but he also sees the opportunity to play as a true freshman . "It was a good deal with two of my teammates committing with me. It's a great passing offense. [Case] Keenum will be leaving when I come in as a freshman, so I have a chance to start as a true freshman, but I still have to work real hard and get better." he said.

The future looks bright

The crop of 2012 prospects on hand for the quarterback competition featured one prospect already being talked about prominently in the Lone Star State, Matt Davis (Houston, Texas/Klein Forest), and an up-and-coming Dallas area star in Jared Johnson (Grand Prairie, Texas/South Grand Prairie). Davis burst onto the Houston scene in game one as a sophomore, flashing the ability to make and keep plays alive with his feet and the ability to complete tough passes on the move against top-notch competition. On Saturday, he displayed the athleticism and above-average arm strength that has a number of programs already showing interest.

"I'm receiving interest from Texas Tech, Texas A&M, UT, Alabama and Oregon," said Davis, who is headed to Texas A&M's spring game next weekend. "I'm open and plan to look at every school that recruits me."

Davis was one of the most productive sophomore prospects in Texas throwing for 1,393 yards and 14 touchdowns as well as rushing for 1,427 yards and 22 scores.

For Johnson, the afternoon was all about measuring up against the best in the region.

"I see a lot of talent out here," said Johnson. "I can compare what other people do better than me and see what I need to improve on and that was my whole purpose of coming up here,"

Texas is the childhood favorite of the 6-foot, 185-pound sophomore starter.

"I love Vince Young. I know he's a quarterback that has the ability to throw and run when needed and that's how I play." Johnson said.

Johnson passed for 1,250 yards, rushed for 328 and accounted for 14 touchdowns last season.

A name to remember
DeVante Kincade (Dallas/Skyline) was one of two freshmen on hand to compete out of more than 90 quarterbacks. The 5-11, 160-pound right-hander moved smoothly with fluidity throughout the day, more than holding his own against the underclassmen. He completed a number of deep throws along the sideline and showed quality arm strength for a freshman. He is the front-runner to take over the starting job on a ultratalented Dallas Skyline team as a sophomore. The squad will take on a pair of Florida powers, St. Thomas Aquinas and Belle Glade, in 2010.

Future position change
Jonovan Griffin (McKinney, Texas/Boyd) is tough to defend on the high school level at quarterback, due to his ability to throw the ball combined with darting quickness and the moves to make defenders miss. On the next level, he will be making defenders miss after the catch as a slot receiver. Texas Tech has offered (in February) with Arkansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Louisiana Tech and Tulsa showing interest. The 5-foot-10, 165-pounder is set to visit Arkansas next weekend.

D.J. Griffin (Arlington, Texas/Juan Seguin) is another high school signal-caller with a position change very likely at the next level. Unlike many quarterbacks, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Griffin already doubles as a linebacker and fullback for Seguin High. He is receiving looks on both sides of the ball from Kansas State, Tulsa and Iowa.

Sophomore Nicky Baratti (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) was one of the best athletes on hand, with impressive foot quickness, speed, agility and fluid movements. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound prospect started in the secondary as a sophomore as well as taking limited snaps at quarterback. He will take over the full-time signal-caller duties as a junior, but could be recruited at a number of positions.

Gerry Hamilton has covered recruiting in Texas and the Southwest for more than a decade. He can be reached at espngerry@yahoo.com.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/...tory?id=5075353

Frazier among Texas' finest

FORT WORTH, Texas -- On what was a windy spring day, more than 90 gunslingers went through the paces in a very competitive, somewhat revamped, circuit of drill stations for the 2011 regional Fort Worth Elite 11 quarterback camp.

Tom Hauck
Kiehl Frazier's refined mechanics were on display in Fort Worth.
As is usually the case, many prospects taking part in the event for the first time took a few reps or station go-arounds before settling in and really letting it fly without having to think. When players reach that comfort zone is when they separate a bit from the rest of the pack.

Accuracy and footwork-- two staples of the Elite 11 event -- are a cornerstone of each station. In the age of the modern shotgun, spread offense, in which taking snaps from under center has become a lost art, prospects on hand can always expect to get a heavy dose of dropping from center, reading on the move and getting the ball out on time and in rhythm.

The following prospects, many of whom have become early household names in recruiting circles, showcased athleticism, accuracy and sound overall mechanics. For some, this is the second time we have seen them in person as well as on tape, which is really giving us a well-rounded early evaluation of the position heading into late spring.

QB Kiehl Frazier (Springdale, Ark./Shiloh Christian)
Despite nursing a sports hernia, which he will have surgery to repair this coming Tuesday, Frazier was as advertised both in ability and stature. More importantly, Frazier has really sharpened and refined his throwing motion. He is smoother and more fluid in his overall delivery than he was during his junior season.

At times, he looked a little rigid with his release last fall. That's no longer the case. Despite playing almost exclusively out of the shotgun, Frazier is much further along in the drop-back game than we expected to see at this stage. From athleticism to arm strength, Frazier has the tools and also a high ceiling for outstanding development. He is not just a spread passer -- he can make all the throws. It is very easy to see why he has become such a hot commodity early in the process.

QB Michael Brewer (Austin, Texas/Lake Travis)
Brewer, a Texas Tech commit, follows in a long line of impressive quarterbacks at Lake Travis -- including Todd Reesing and Garrett Gilbert. While his measurables resemble Reesing more than Gilbert, his overall production on Saturday was on par with what we saw of him on tape. Often times, in a workout setting, it can be difficult to see grit and a competitive gunslinging mentality, but Brewer did bring a swagger and live arm to this session.

Michael Brewer could be a good fit at Texas Tech.
What he lacks in height -- standing 6-feet -- he makes up for with footwork and anticipation. He, at times, will show a whip-like release, but the ball comes out quick. He will be an ideal fit for the spread offense in Lubbock under new coach Tommy Tuberville. He shows zip and the ability to change ball speeds, and he does a nice job of dropping the ball in over-the-top on the deep ball. He does not possess an elite arm, but it is strong enough and he understands timing and where to go wit the ball.

Kendal Thompson (Southmoore, Okla.) and J.W. Walsh (Denton, Texas/Guyer)
This is the second time we have seen both Thompson and Walsh live this spring, and the two of them were even better the second time around.

You could argue Thompson was the most consistently accurate passer throughout the day. Despite the quirky delivery, the left-handed Thompson shows a quick stroke, does not wind up and throws a very catchable ball with nice zip. For a shotgun, spread passer he shows excellent footwork, balance and agility within the pocket. He is a dual-threat prospect who is a passer first, runner second.

Walsh was the gambler of the group, which can be a trait that does not always show up in a workout setting, but it is clearly evident on tape. He can be a bit raw mechanically, but the ball comes out hot and with very good zip and he is a much better athlete than he gets credit for. He can play both from under center and out of the shotgun. Oklahoma State fans have got to feel good about Walsh and what he brings to the table.

QB Bram Kohlhausen (Houston, Texas/Lamar)
Outside of Christian Lemay (Matthews, NC/Butler), we do not know if we have seen a prospect with a better pure delivery than what we saw out of Kohlhausen today. On tape, he appears to have a little more of a windup than what we saw from him on Saturday. On this day, Kohlhausen was throwing darts and the ball popped off his hand. He has good feet and a quick stroke to plant and get the ball out. There is very little wasted motion and while he does not have an arm as strong as Frazier's, he was a bit more accurate and he certainly can make all the throws. The Houston Cougars were smart to get on this kid early and it could pay big dividends just like Case Keenum has.

QB Corbin Berkstresser (Lees Summit, Mo.)
Berkstresser has a great frame and ideal measurables for a pocket passer. He performed just as we expected with solid arm strength and great touch on intermediate and deep routes. He showed real flashes of accuracy on tough throws and a high, over-the-top delivery that only accentuates his excellent height. From drops, to timing to delivery, Berkstresser was very consistent in everything he did.

Tom Luginbill is the national scouting director for ESPN Recruiting.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 11 2010, 01:56 PM) [snapback]543219[/snapback]
Competing at the camp was the last part of a big weekend for Frazier, who visited Oklahoma on Friday. Saturday began with an unofficial visit to TCU (where the Elite 11 was held) for the annual purple and white game and a first chance to sit down with members of the Horned Frogs staff.

"It was fun. I met with coach [Justin] Fuente, coach [Gary] Patterson and met with the quarterbacks. I didn't know what to expect, but TCU probably moved up on my list because I had a great experience down here," Said Frazier, who took in the spring game from the sidelines.

:biggrin: :biggrin: