• The KillerFrogs

Donati presser

Mean Purple

I don't see how you can say that, really don't. What would you do?
Dude was giving answers that his staff prepped him for. Looked no different than other AD's I've seen in this type of presser at other schools. I'd hold off on crowning him the next CDC or EH until you see how the actual hiring goes down. I aint hating on the guy, but he hasn't produced yet. Actually feel for him. He misses on this one, he's out the door next. He knows this program has the benefits that other P5 schools don't have.

Wexahu

Dude was giving answers that his staff prepped him for. Looked no different than other AD's I've seen in this type of presser at other schools. I'd hold off on crowning him the next CDC or EH until you see how the actual hiring goes down. I aint hating on the guy, but he hasn't produced yet. Actually feel for him. He misses on this one, he's out the door next. He knows this program has the benefits that other P5 schools don't have.
And we won't know if he hit or missed on this hire for a few years. But you seem to have your mind made up already as to what is a hit or a miss.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
If they don't interview better candidates than Dykes, the AD should be fired by January.
A few days ago I felt the same regarding Dykes, a little underwhelmed, but since watching some of Dykes press conferences to familiarize myself with him, I must say he is very impressive.
TCU is having an open process with multiple interviewees for the board of trustees to consider, if Dykes is the guy he will have to impress some pretty smart people.

SwissArmyFrog

I recall when Matt Ruhle was hired at Baylor, some on the Bear's forum derisively called Ruhle "Jersey," referencing the region he was coming from.

Ruhle did very well, even getting Baylor to the conference championship game vs. OU, and himself an NFL job (he'd been an NFL candidate in the past, but his stint at Baylor certainly didn't hurt his reputation as a solid coach).

Moose Stuff

Staff prepped him for….. LMAO. He’s not Joe Biden.

SwissArmyFrog

...checking to see if that is Ron Howard's brother Clint at the bottom of the pic...

He still looks like Homer Stokes from O Brother Where Art Thou, though

1*L9dLYpaSwo7cXrpR8-poxg.jpeg

Wexahu

A few days ago I felt the same regarding Dykes, a little underwhelmed, but since watching some of Dykes press conferences to familiarize myself with him, I must say he is very impressive.
TCU is having an open process with multiple interviewees for the board of trustees to consider, if Dykes is the guy he will have to impress some pretty smart people.
I don't really get the disdain for him. I've heard from several people "anyone buy Dykes" (not on this board) and I'd just ask why.

I guess he hasn't won enough championships, he's not young enough, or charismatic enough....whatever it is. All he's done is produce pretty good football teams, and at some places where that isn't easy to do. If he somehow stays at SMU, they are set up to be good again next year, if not very good. And I think maybe more than any of the other candidates being considered he wants to be at TCU, and would probably consider it his destination job.

Mean Purple

True. But he also would not be being brought in for Press Conferences.

CountryFrog

I don't really get the disdain for him. I've heard from several people "anyone buy Dykes" (not on this board) and I'd just ask why.

I guess he hasn't won enough championships, he's not young enough, or charismatic enough....whatever it is. All he's done is produce pretty good football teams, and at some places where that isn't easy to do. If he somehow stays at SMU, they are set up to be good again next year, if not very good. And I think maybe more than any of the other candidates being considered he wants to be at TCU, and would probably consider it his destination job.
I don't get the dislike for Dykes by some either. It seems there were a good number of people who used to credit the entire 2017 season to his being on the staff but now don't him around as the HC.

Personally I'm HOPING for someone like Chris Petersen who has had big time success as a HC but I'll be happy settling on Dykes for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. The guy seems like a very solid coach to me, even if he won't be a great one.

Wexahu

I don't get the dislike for Dykes by some either. It seems there were a good number of people who used to credit the entire 2017 season to his being on the staff but now don't him around as the HC.

Personally I'm HOPING for someone like Chris Petersen who has had big time success as a HC but I'll be happy settling on Dykes for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. The guy seems like a very solid coach to me, even if he won't be a great one.
It seems like Dykes biggest problem is he's accepted jobs where it's damn hard to win big. He's won about as much can be expected at each stop. I'd take Petersen too but I could see him taking the job and then deciding it's not for him in 2-3 years. Just seems like a bit too much of an outsider.

But again, if he's the guy, I will jump onboard.

Moose Stuff

I just assume those people are idiots.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
It seems like Dykes biggest problem is he's accepted jobs where it's damn hard to win big. He's won about as much can be expected at each stop. I'd take Petersen too but I could see him taking the job and then deciding it's not for him in 2-3 years. Just seems like a bit too much of an outsider.

But again, if he's the guy, I will jump onboard.
Good observation, Cal is as of a difficult Job as there is in P5. For example, Wilcox at Cal is failing and that guy is a darn good defensive mind and impressive leader. I think Dykes would’ve won 9 games minimum with this team in 2021. Will be excited if Dykes is the guy.

SwissArmyFrog

I looked up his record as a head coach - it is pretty impressive. I think most (including myself) are hoping for the proverbial "can't miss" coach, however unrealistic that may be. Dykes, I think, would instead have people crossing their fingers.