1. The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU RB Sewo Olonilua squats 705 lbs twice in front of teammates

Discussion in 'Scott & Wes Frog Fan Forum' started by TopFrog, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Thank you!!!!!

Surfrog likes this.
  2. It’s Duggan

3. One of the most informative posts I've read on here in quite some time. Good ship. Gracias.

What type of lifting do you recommend for a 36 year-old who mostly just plays golf and washers while drinking?

4. Lol considering I just finished programming for clients and nothing better to do:

LIFTS:
    I. Squat (back barbell, front barbell, Double KB Rack, KB Goblet, Single Arm KB Rack).
    II. Deadlifts: (Barbell, KB, RDL).
    III. Pull-Ups/TBar Row, Ring or TRX Row.
    IV Lunges (Barbell, Lateral, KB Rack)
    V. Cleans

Explosion: Box Jumps, Rotational Medball Throws, Sled Push

Stability: Plank, Deadbugs, Single Leg RDL, Glute Bridges, Single Leg Glute Bridge, Single Leg Squat off Box.

TCURiggs likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

6. If you're trying to insinuate that these highly paid professionals know more about what they're doing than everyone on here then you can take that garbage somewhere else Sunshine Pumper.

7. That sounds like a lot of work...

8. I'd suggest a simpler plan of lifting 12 - 20 oz liquid containers from about waist high up the mouth. This exercise is all about reps. The more the better.

Horned Toad, TCURiggs and nwlafrog like this.
  9. No kidding. I go to the gym 4-5 times per week and I don’t hit half of those exercises.

My body shows that I go to the gym, but that I also enjoy tacos..... A lot of tacos.

TCURiggs and MN Frog like this.
  10. But what are his power clean numbers?

11. Lots of power cling

TCURiggs likes this.
  12. You obviously know your subject matter and could be correct for the ages. But, there has never been much decided science in these areas. Over the years much has been trial and error or ad hoc cases for certain individuals. Just about the time a certain methodology seems universally accepted, is the time when the next guru appears with a different approach. Years ago it was the strength coach at the University of Nebraska whom everyone followed to the letter. Now I guess Louie Simmons is an authority. I would just gently caution that guys like Louie Simmons advocate what originally worked specifically for them and some of their clients. Louie runs a gym I suppose and sells books and magazines. Louie probably doesn't report those individuals that his methods fail to work for. I guess I should have just written that the human body is not universally the same. What works to build strength or prevent injury for one, may not work for the next. It's probably difficult to individualize training for 100 football players, but that's why TCU has more than one strength coach I suppose.

13. My concern is not with "lifting heavy" as part of a structured program but rather with this annual "contest" where the whole team pumps each other up and competes to see who can lift what insane amount of weight. That atmosphere would seem to be asking for trouble. (Not saying that this instance with Sewo was the "contest"- in my recollection it is closer to the season, and they give out awards for linemen, RBs, WRs, etc.)

14. Not to get NEARLY as technical as Surf did, max lifts are also a way to set a baseline for the rest of your individual workout regime.

You can't tell someone, "Do 3 x 8 reps of 135 lbs." if you don't know if they can lift 135 or not. What you CAN do is say, "Do 3x8 reps of 60% of your max on dynamic days, and graduated sets starting at 8 at 60%, 6 at 70%, 4 at 80%, and 2 at of 90% on heavy lift days."

So these heavy lift celebration days very well could be them establishing their max for the latest cycle, showing both themselves and their teammates their progression and growth. Hell yes I would celebrate being able to prove how much stronger I've gotten.

15. Problem is, by the time the science has gone through the IRB process, study executed, and results peer-reviewed, someone else has come up with another protocol which might or might not work and shotgunned it through a marketing department i.e. orange theory, pure barre, etc to name a couple.

There is so much damn kool-aid out there it's hard for someone with an average background to tell the truth from [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

There's a reason Prilepins chart and the Conjugate system are still around - they work through the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] and kool-aid.

It's hard to market hard work smart progressive programming. Everyone wants the easy way, the shortcut, the "secret."

16. Gonna need you to post a vid of this workout in a tweet reply to one of our recruits to show them they don't even lift. Otherwise how will anyone know you lift?

17. Apparently the Night of Champions lifting contest is tonight and you can watch it on TCUFootball Instagram.