• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU food workers unionize

Purp

The Colonel said:
Yes, steel, airline, and auto were built on the backs of union labor, but those industries in America have also failed on the backs of union labor. Have there been any industries that have had a higher rate of bankruptcy / bailouts / restructuring?

They have failed to adapt to the global economy. Unions once had their place to ensure employers couldn't take advantage of their employees and put them in harm's way.

Those days are long gone. We could get away with inflated wages for years as everyone else in the world was still buried in ashes. We were the only option and became fat and happy.

We are now getting our butts kicked by highly flexible, adaptable, and hungry corporations and individuals.
Ding ding ding.  Certainly the equation isn't quite so simple, but the further down the rabbit hole you go the more damning it is for unions.  Also, economic policy at the federal level is equally, if not more, to blame for a lot of the demise you've described, but nothing you've said is inaccurate.  

Unions were a competing labor market force for corporations in their infancy; today the purpose they once served can't be justified by their expense so they rely on government protection for survival.  I'm pro-union when labor market forces create them, but I'm anti-union when government influence sustains them.

YA

Lets see the airline and the steel industry is about as stable financially as a start up restaurant.  12% unemployment--where is this???

cousinjoker

The Colonel said:
Enjoy 12% unemployment.

Won't happen.  I may not be a corporation, but I'm adaptable, too.  Rather than collect unemployment and remain where there is no work, I'll move to where the job is...even overseas.  I'll take on debt/risk assets to do it initially.  Many people aren't confident enough in themselves, though, to risk the capital for a better opportunity, or they are too emotionally tied to living in a particular place to move, or they listen to that quack Dave Ramsey too much.  If we have 12% unemployment, I'm confident in my abilities in this country.  If we hit 40-50%, I'll be living somewhere else, if for nothing else, to reduce the chance of being mugged.  Yes, individuals must be adaptable, but a lot of the adaptive and flexible actions I've seen by corporations over the last 20 years have involved directly dodging prevailing laws in one area to relocate to another.  It's not just U.S. to somewhere else.  It's India to Bangladesh.  It's Mexico to Honduras.  It's South Korea to China.  My interest would be in finding work, not in which laws I could avoid or which labor requirements I could usurp to cut the bottom line.

God Dog

The Colonel said:
Yes, steel, airline, and auto were built on the backs of union labor, but those industries in America have also failed on the backs of union labor. Have there been any industries that have had a higher rate of bankruptcy / bailouts / restructuring?
Banking, Wall Street, Pro-sports, Finance, Farming, Agriculture, Detroit?

Froglaw

82Frog said:
I can remember how bad the food was when I was at TCU 1978-1982. . . .I think ARA food service was in charge. 
ARA was terrible.  I still have nightmares of Thursday dinners with some food that wrestled me for my fork.

Those who criticized unions have rarely worked for a living (I'm not talking summer jobs or temporary jobs) at a physically demanding job in order to support a family.

I cannot imagine trying to serve food at TCU or any University cafeteria.

It is good solid work and should be compensated with a fair wage, good working conditions, and healthcare.

We broke off relations from King George for his unfair manner of rule and many a battle has been fought for our freedom.

Corporations are allowed to merger, break up, acquire other businesses, and band together to lobby for their trades.

Why would we grant that right to a non-living entity and then deny that same bargaining power to people?

I've never understood the argument that it is okay to stick it to the guy on the assembly line in Detroit in order to raise the bottom line.

Darn it!!!!  Let's get to AGCS and out of the TCU main dining hall.

Frog-in-law1995

Froglaw said:
ARA was terrible.  I still have nightmares of Thursday dinners with some food that wrestled me for my fork.

Those who criticized unions have rarely worked for a living (I'm not talking summer jobs or temporary jobs) at a physically demanding job in order to support a family.

I cannot imagine trying to serve food at TCU or any University cafeteria.

It is good solid work and should be compensated with a fair wage, good working conditions, and healthcare.

We broke off relations from King George for his unfair manner of rule and many a battle has been fought for our freedom.

Corporations are allowed to merger, break up, acquire other businesses, and band together to lobby for their trades.

Why would we grant that right to a non-living entity and then deny that same bargaining power to people?

I've never understood the argument that it is okay to stick it to the guy on the assembly line in Detroit in order to raise the bottom line.

Darn it!!!!  Let's get to AGCS and out of the TCU main dining hall.
Not familiar with Sherman, Section 1?

Froglaw

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Not familiar with Sherman, Section 1?

How is Restraint of Trade equivalent to workers asking for bathroom breaks, healthcare, and a decent retirement plan?

Ever hear of China and Martha Stewart?

TCUSA

God Dog said:
Public sector unions are a completely different can of worms from private sector unions.

Yes teacher's unions are a cancer.

Who needs to drive jobs overseas when we can import 3rd world labor to compete with, 40 million & counting.

Meh, it's a right to work state, don't like the union then get a new job.

Steel airline & auto were also built on the backs of union labor. Union doesn't = business failure per se.

Bears. Bears are predatory.

How labor unions affect jobs and the economy

YA

Heritage Foundation--the think tank that has authors who rail against Immigration Reform, when one of the authors posts on blogs as the White Avenger on KKK sites!!!  They are tarnished and a TEA party wasteland.  Not reliable.