• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Sonny Dykes to leave SMU for rival TCU; Mustangs to hire Miami OC Rhett Lashlee

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Sonny Dykes to leave SMU for rival TCU; Mustangs to hire Miami OC Rhett Lashlee

6JW55NXXJJHXTCQBE6C7JH2ZUE.jpg

By Joseph Hoyt

There’s going to be an added flavor to the Iron Skillet in 2022.

After four years at SMU, head football coach Sonny Dykes will head west on I-30 to take over TCU’s football program, per multiple reports. In addition, reports also said that former SMU offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, currently the offensive coordinator at Miami (FL), will be the next head coach at SMU.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...leaves-smu-accepts-coaching-job-at-rival-tcu/

Limey Frog

Ponies were prepared and ready, targeted their guy and locked him up. Give em credit for that.
Good luck to them. I know it's not a widely shared opinion here, but I'd still rather have them in the Big XII; the more SWC the better for me. Get them in along with Rice--bring back the good/bad old days.

Moose Stuff

Ponies were prepared and ready, targeted their guy and locked him up. Give em credit for that.
The hysterical part of that is that’s EXACTLY what we did and several posters on here blew up the committee/AD for not having a more expansive search. I only assume there is some guy named deerhuntingpony blowing up their board about settling for Lashlee without an extensive search into every coordinator in the country.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The hysterical part of that is that’s EXACTLY what we did and several posters on here blew up the committee/AD for not having a more expansive search. I only assume there is some guy named deerhuntingpony blowing up their board about settling for Lashlee without an extensive search into every coordinator in the country.
Yeah Dykes was the primary target for sure. It was a situation that apparently the two sides agreed to wait till the end of the year.

This will likely all come out in the press conference.

Seems to me it was handled well and professionally by TCU. Based on what little we really know.

Moose Stuff

Yeah Dykes was the primary target for sure. It was a situation that apparently the two sides agreed to wait till the end of the year.

This will likely all come out in the press conference.

Seems to me it was handled well and professionally by TCU. Based on what little we really know.
Time will tell if he was the right hire but I don’t have one complaint about how our admin/BMD handled this process. I have been a JD detractor for a while and he gained some respect from me in the last 6 weeks. People don’t have to love the hire, I’m fine with that, but the reasoning behind it is very sound and I firmly believe his staff (pending the DC hire) is going to be one of the best in the Big 12/region and an absolute recruiting force. Next two weeks should be real interesting.

BleedNPurple

TCU could have done a better job by making a formal announcement instead of leaking it to media. It’s still not official. Right now it’s the worst kept secret but I guess they can’t officially announce until after the Tusla game.

Sangria Wine

Not sure I have seen many complain about the process. Not sure how the Deion discussion became so public but the process seemed well managed.
Seems in retrospect like it was to make the search seem like it was a legitimate national search that actually had other candidates and that all possible paths were explored fully, yet in the end they came back to the candidate that was right under their noses. All the while allowing SMU to get their next coach lined up to help the Ponies have as little disruption as possible through the process.

Relic

It all reminds me of an old Israeli proverb (quoting incorrectly, I'm sure): "What appears to be happening, is NOT what is happening; what doesn't appear to be happening, actually IS what's happening."

Which is the basis for most magic tricks...

CountryFrog

Deerhuntingpony. Totally random fictional name I'm sure. No connection whatsoever to anyone or anything.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
It all reminds me of an old Israeli proverb (quoting incorrectly, I'm sure): "What appears to be happening, is NOT what is happening; what doesn't appear to be happening, actually IS what's happening."

Which is the basis for most magic tricks...
Mazeltoff