• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Predicting the winners of TCU’s key position battles

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Predicting the winners of TCU’s key position battles

Ryan Gerbosi

The script’s been flipped for TCU in the last year.

Rarely have more questions surrounded the Horned Frogs’ defense entering a season, but with just one opening available on the offense and plenty on the other side of the ball, that’s where we are with 2015 set to begin.

Here is a look at the top position battles to watch as TCU starts camp this week.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/predicting-the-winners-of-tcus-key-position-battles.html/

Planks

Having CEL at CB is a bold prediction seeing as how he was at WR in spring ball and posted videos of himself yesterday running routes and catching passes. Still, it would be nice to have someone with his athletic ability at CB, he's the type of elite athlete we now need in our defensive backfield in order to compete with Baylor's wide receivers. I think CEL could be a high draft pick at CB.

And the most important position battle wasn't listed in this article. Back up quarterback. Our season won't be ruined by offensive tackle, cornerback, or linebacker, but not having a legitimate back up QB will absolutely ruin our season.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Planks said:
Having CEL at CB is a bold prediction seeing as how he was at WR in spring ball and posted videos of himself yesterday running routes and catching passes. Still, it would be nice to have someone with his athletic ability at CB, he's the type of elite athlete we now need in our defensive backfield in order to compete with Baylor's wide receivers. I think CEL could be a high draft pick at CB.

And the most important position battle wasn't listed in this article. Back up quarterback. Our season won't be ruined by offensive tackle, cornerback, or linebacker, but not having a legitimate back up QB will absolutely ruin our season.
You have to wonder how much time and thought he actually puts into these articles.  From what I have seen of him so far, he does put out a lot of TCU material but much of what I have read is just drivel.  His "rankings" of players is just arbitrary and this prediction article doesn't really provide any support for his picks.

I can predict the next Dan Jenkins and right now, this guys name is not on the list

Casey T

Our season would be ruined by having an incompetent starter more than an incompetent backup qb. If boykin gets hurt, we most likely won't compete for a title. I would much rather have a good starting lb, or o lineman, or cb, or safety, than a good backup qb.

Limp Lizard

That may be true, but turning athleticism into success on the field isn’t a given.

Yeah, but a QB at Baylor with one or two starts under his belt is an all american already.

And we have such a hard time over the years finding linebackers.  A year ago many on this board were bemoaning how bad we were at LB.

Limp Lizard

Planks said:

Cornerback is so much more than size and speed.  It is quickness, explosive speed, technique and a very, very short memory.

Planks

Casey8Ball said:
Our season would be ruined by having an incompetent starter more than an incompetent backup qb. If boykin gets hurt, we most likely won't compete for a title. I would much rather have a good starting lb, or o lineman, or cb, or safety, than a good backup qb.
Yes our season will be over anyway if Boykin gets a season ending injury. But every injury isn't a season ending one.

What if a #BoykinFlip leads to Boykin being out just 3 games in the middle of the season? Do we have a back up who can fill in for 3 games and not blow our season? If we are 9-0 in games with Boykin under center, but 1-2 in the 3 games the back up had to fill in, then we are going to miss the playoffs.

How terrible would that be? That's why back up QB scares me so much. We currently have a walk-on backing up the Heisman favorite. Thats scary as hell.

tcumaniac

Looking forward to Mike Freeze and Ty Summers.

Would love for one (or both of these guys) to turn into the next Jason Philips or drug free Tanner Brock.*

*Racist IMO. I know

West Coast Johnny

MR. TCU (tcumaniac) said:
Looking forward to Mike Freeze and Ty Summers.

Would love for one (or both of these guys) to turn into the next Jason Philips or drug free Tanner Brock.*

*Racist IMO. I know
Drug Free Daryl Washington > Drug Free Tanner Brock.

Westsider

Think about it........... Mikey Freeze did not play his senior year.  His junior year he was a safety, ran a 22.7 200m, threw the discus 177' after someone told him how to throw it properly, and was an all district shortstop.

Today he's 6'3" 220 lbs., runs a 4.5 and has instincts that even LHCGMFP can't teach.

He might be ok.

BABYFACE

Planks said:
Yes our season will be over anyway if Boykin gets a season ending injury. But every injury isn't a season ending one.

What if a #BoykinFlip leads to Boykin being out just 3 games in the middle of the season? Do we have a back up who can fill in for 3 games and not blow our season? If we are 9-0 in games with Boykin under center, but 1-2 in the 3 games the back up had to fill in, then we are going to miss the playoffs.

How terrible would that be? That's why back up QB scares me so much. We currently have a walk-on backing up the Heisman favorite. Thats scary as hell.
The season won't be over but competing for a conference title and playoff berth become that much harder with an inexperienced QB.

Long Time Lurker

MTfrog5 said:
What a sad situation that is. What a waste
I consider it medical marijuana. He was angry and pushed his lady to the pavement when he wasn't smoking. Move him to Denver or Seattle and he is good to go.
Why ban it as an athletic organization. There is no athletic advantage to be gained from this product. Might cut down on some of the domestic disturbances though. Chill baby chill > shut up butch. It's Ike Turner vs Tommy Chong

Purp

Limp Lizard said:
Yeah, but a QB at Baylor with one or two starts under his belt is an all american already.

That's because he's so great at throwing balls at golf carts.  If our LBs could do that they'd get more respect too.

Limp Lizard

Freeze's video on Rivals shows some serious speed.  He hit like a linebacker in HS, although sometimes he went for the big hit instead of wrapping up.  The coaches will get him to wrap up.

Frogo

Planks said:
Yes our season will be over anyway if Boykin gets a season ending injury. . .

Perhaps so. But then that makes Ohio State's run last year nothing short of spectacular. Their top QB goes down and #2 steps in for the 2014 season and performs extremely well. Then very late HE goes down, and #3, Cardale Jones, wins the NC. What's that about? And why not us?

Dogfrog

Planks said:

Saying season over without Boykin is selling our OC's short. Would be a tough blow but with a dominant OL and a decent running game they can adjust to the QB talent IMO.

SwissArmyFrog

Planks said:
We currently have a walk-on backing up the Heisman favorite. Thats scary as hell.

If that guy is judged by Meacham and Cumbie to be more capable than Sawyer and Muehlstein, don't think the label "walk on" really means very much.

Plus, he might not be the #2 guy by the time Minnesota rolls around.