• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 5 bold predictions for TCU in 2018

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

We're just over three weeks away from the start of the college football season, as TCU looks to improve on its 11-3 record from 2017. Here are five bold predictions for the Horned Frogs in 2018:

1. Darius Anderson will rush for over 1,000 yards and his first 200-yard game
If not for a foot injury that prevented him from playing in TCU's final three games and the Alamo Bowl, Anderson would have easily surpassed this mark as a sophomore. Instead, he finished the year with a respectable and team-leading 768 yards on the ground and over 800 yards from scrimmage. In 2018, Anderson will be leaned on heavily to move the chains and should easily exceed 1,000 yards, barring another injury setback.

2. Ben Banogu will lead the Big 12 in sacks and tackles for loss.
Banogu tallied 8.5 sacks and 16.5 TFLs in 2017, good enough to rank second and third in the conference, respectively. With conference sacks leader and teammate Mat Boesen having graduated, Banogu's expanded role should easily allow him to take over as the Big 12's top pass rusher.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...redictions-tcu-2018-will-frogs-fare-arlington

Eight

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

We're just over three weeks away from the start of the college football season, as TCU looks to improve on its 11-3 record from 2017. Here are five bold predictions for the Horned Frogs in 2018:

1. Darius Anderson will rush for over 1,000 yards and his first 200-yard game
If not for a foot injury that prevented him from playing in TCU's final three games and the Alamo Bowl, Anderson would have easily surpassed this mark as a sophomore. Instead, he finished the year with a respectable and team-leading 768 yards on the ground and over 800 yards from scrimmage. In 2018, Anderson will be leaned on heavily to move the chains and should easily exceed 1,000 yards, barring another injury setback.

2. Ben Banogu will lead the Big 12 in sacks and tackles for loss.
Banogu tallied 8.5 sacks and 16.5 TFLs in 2017, good enough to rank second and third in the conference, respectively. With conference sacks leader and teammate Mat Boesen having graduated, Banogu's expanded role should easily allow him to take over as the Big 12's top pass rusher.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...redictions-tcu-2018-will-frogs-fare-arlington

so how are predictions #1-3 anything close to bold projections?

how about:

1) darius leads the big 12 in rushing

2) banogu leads the country in sacks and the tcu defense leads the nation in tfl's

3) robinson throws for 3,000 yards, seriously i hope he throws for more than 170+ yards a game

jake102

I think too much attention will be paid to Banogu for him to pile up huge stats but he will make his presence felt nonetheless.

I'm thinking and hoping Anderson and Sewo split carried quite a bit to keep both healthy

I also think we slide into CCG

I think too much attention will be paid to Banogu for him to pile up huge stats but he will make his presence felt nonetheless.

I'm thinking and hoping Anderson and Sewo split carried quite a bit to keep both healthy

I also think we slide into CCG

Exactly my thought too, who is on the other d-end? Banogu will get double teamed every play.

Eight

not always who is on that other end, but who is the d-tackle next to him. in some of these spread offenses it isn't so easy to double team an end.

if you aren't using a tightend or h-back you don't have anyone outside the offensive tackle which means you are either chipping with a back or sliding the guard over to help.

problem is what happens if you can't handle the interior defensive linemen head up? a number of people think he needs help from the other side which to a point is true, but if the d-tackles are causing issues inside and collapsing that pocket it really does limit how much help you can give on the edge.

i was always told you help inside out on pass pro and look no further than the giants beating pats twice by continually bringing pressure with four

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

What's the word on Bowen? I expect Collier to start, but hopefully Bowen is past the injuries and is ready to raise some hell in the backfield.

FrogLifeYo

not always who is on that other end, but who is the d-tackle next to him. in some of these spread offenses it isn't so easy to double team an end.

if you aren't using a tightend or h-back you don't have anyone outside the offensive tackle which means you are either chipping with a back or sliding the guard over to help.

problem is what happens if you can't handle the interior defensive linemen head up? a number of people think he needs help from the other side which to a point is true, but if the d-tackles are causing issues inside and collapsing that pocket it really does limit how much help you can give on the edge.

i was always told you help inside out on pass pro and look no further than the giants beating pats twice by continually bringing pressure with four

Sunshine picked up a lot of sacks last year because of Ben and Ross. I think that’s not stated enough

ThisIsOurTime

If all this happens, we would certainly have a great season. I am not sold that Robinson and the run game will do as well with a changing of the guard at the OL but I don't mind drinking this koolaid. I have thought Robinson and the OL will do better than some people on here are predicting but not quite up to this level. But it is nice to see a little positive press and from an SMU grad no less.

Eight

interesting that people think 2,000 yards passing would be acceptable production from robinson as that is well below 200 yards a game spread over a 12-game season.

the last starting quarterback for tcu to throw for less than 200 yards a game was andy dalton in 2007 and that year the frogs finished 8-5 overall and 4-4 in conference.

robinson doesn't have to produce numbers akin to boykin in 2015 and 2016, but tcu in this conference has to get more production out of the quarterback position than 166~ yards per game passing and 225 yards of total offense if they want to make it back to the championship game.

those numbers are the type of production seen in the days of the wide hash marks and rounder footballs and i am pretty sure those are not the expectations sonny has for this offense starting the season. perspective sake tcu was the #1 pass defense in the conference last year and gave up 227.5 yards per game.

Last edited: