• The KillerFrogs

Disturbing story involving Oregon State's best pitcher

WhatTheFrog

Why is that? People were stoning a sinner and it seems a lot of people are are doing the same here.

I am not condoning the offending behavior. I'm just asking if someone deserves to be castigated (not the spelling some are looking for, probably), for the rest of his life for his behavior at 15 if he lives right.

If he grows up to be the second coming of Bill Cosby, that's different.

If it's an offense that requires convicted "sex offenders" to continually register, and it's open record, it is what it is.

Have you not looked at city/county records (they have websites dedicated to sex offenders) where you can see what offenders live around you? If not, do you have home-aged children? I definitely would, and have.

He might have "served the time and done what was required of him" to keep himself out of PRISON, but the sex offender registry goes on until he can convince a judge that he is no longer a threat to society. It's a different set of circumstances required of sex offenders than what is required of normal felons (and this was a felony conviction). As much as it sucks for him, it is what it is (again).

Brog

People were stoning a sinner who had not had been subjected to the laws and customs of the day (including the 23 judges of the authorized to hand down capital punishment) nor had the required two witnesses been interviewed nor had the other offending party been subjected to the judicial process. If people want to cherry-pick verses and develop doctrine from them without exegesis and textual criticism, it's a pretty slippery slope into making it all into the absence of doctrine.

Bringing it back to the pitcher from OSU, the court had its say (unlike the mob in the biblical example). I feel a significantly greater degree of compassion for the girl that he apparently molested over a period of time. I feel none for him and I will never support any team (MLB or other) that employs him.

Must be nice to be perfect.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
People were stoning a sinner who had not had been subjected to the laws and customs of the day (including the 23 judges of the authorized to hand down capital punishment) nor had the required two witnesses been interviewed nor had the other offending party been subjected to the judicial process. If people want to cherry-pick verses and develop doctrine from them without exegesis and textual criticism, it's a pretty slippery slope into making it all into the absence of doctrine.

Bringing it back to the pitcher from OSU, the court had its say (unlike the mob in the biblical example). I feel a significantly greater degree of compassion for the girl that he apparently molested over a period of time. I feel none for him and I will never support any team (MLB or other) that employs him.

I think the point Jesus was making was/is there is a higher law.

I continue to say I don't condone the behavior. If you want to pass permanent judgement on someone regardless how they live the next 60 years of his life, that is certainly your right. I'm only saying that if he lives the rest of his life doing the right thing knowing he did something terrible when he was 15, maybe there could be room to let him move on. If the guy turns into a repeat habitual pervert then I agree, bury him under the prison.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

I continue to say I don't condone the behavior. If you want to pass permanent judgement on someone regardless how they live the next 60 years of his life, that is certainly your right. I'm only saying that if he lives the rest of his life doing the right thing knowing he did something terrible when he was 15, maybe there could be room to let him move on. If the guy turns into a repeat habitual pervert then I agree, bury him under the prison.

He repeated his perverted molestation from the time that the victim was 4 years old until she was 6 years old. Not a one time offense, not a teenage mistake, not a foolish error. Conscious, repeated molestation. Of a 4, 5, and 6 year old. To which he confessed in writing.

He can continue to live a life of contrition, and be a positive model for changed behavior. He can do that many ways, for the next 60 years of his life. However, he should not be playing college baseball on scholarship. He should not be paid to play major league baseball.

sketchy

That's a pretty good statement but that dude seriously just got probation and counseling? He abused a 6 year old for two years starting when she was 4 and got probation??? You've got to be kidding

Don't be so naive.
In Tarrant alone, there are hundreds of thousands of people who have received probation for sex offenses.
They walk our streets.....odds are you come in contact with one of these guys everyday, while conducting life business.

Zubaz

That's a pretty good statement but that dude seriously just got probation and counseling? He abused a 6 year old for two years starting when she was 4 and got probation??? You've got to be kidding
He was 15 years old. What do you want, ten years in GenPop?

DickBumpastache

So you're willing to risk more children being molested, so long as he's not "permanently judged"?

Do you have children? Would you let them be in the same room with this guy?

It's extremely off-putting that a convicted sex offender whose crimes were committed against a child barely young enough to go to school would find compassion on this board.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So you're willing to risk more children being molested, so long as he's not "permanently judged"?

Do you have children? Would you let them be in the same room with this guy?

It's extremely off-putting that a convicted sex offender whose crimes were committed against a child barely young enough to go to school would find compassion on this board.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I never recommended leaving little girls alone with him. Is this really a problem with him already registered for life as a sex offender? I never said I condoned what he did. I said that if he was an habitual perv they should bury him under the jail. Apparently he has taken responsibility, gone to rehab and according to all reports has led a clean life since. Is there a chance he revert? Maybe. What's the average sentence in Texas now for violent offenders? It certainly isn't life.

What is your solution? Shoot every 15 year old that couldn't control his hormones?

Zubaz

What do you want, 2 years' probation and counseling for all child molesters?
No, not all. Never said all. I'm saying this specific case. He was a kid. There's a reason we don't treat them the same as adults. His behavior was wrong, corrective and punitive action was taken, likehood of his behavior re-occurring is minimal.

Zubaz

Is there any evidence that in this specific case, this young man is putting more children at risk of being molested? Seems the one thing near everyone agrees with is that he is incredibly unlikely to do this again.

I don't think "compassion" is the right word, unless you set that bar so low that "I don't think we should shoot him in the face" or "I don't think we should throw him in jail for 25 years" qualifies as compassion.

swimmerbabe11

Assuming he truly is a pedophile, he has a disease. Like I said, I hope the therapy was effective. He'll be battling that affliction his whole life.

15 is pretty young too. It's a long time to punish someone for the rest of their lives. He did what the state of Oregon asked, except failing to re-register. If Oregon State knew at the beginning, I would find it very reasonable to not allow him on the team. As it is , they didn't check and he has been an exceptional student athlete (Pat Casey's words) and it seems a little disingenuous to kick him off now.

However, I think putting him on a pitching mound could be potentially dangerous situation for him and awful for fans.

I'm glad he's not on our team.

Last edited:

cdsfrog

Such a brutal topic because to me what he did is almost the worst thing you can do. Yeah he was young when he started doing it but not 8, he was nearly in school and continued until he was 10.

Whatever his sentence was, seems way too short. Several years of mandated therapy (at least 6 until 21) should have been a requirement, a condition of parole of an another violation equaling automatic life in prison. Great incentive to fight the urges of his disease.

If Oregon State gave him a scholarship knowing his condition thats on them. As for MLB, I dont really care. Just not to the rangers or astros please. Perhaps a team I never follow.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
What is your solution? Shoot every 15 year old that couldn't control his hormones?

Your concluding sentence nicely summarizes the problem that many have with the approach of "He's paid his debt, leave him alone."

This is not a case of a 15 yo kid sleeping with his 13 yo girlfriend. It's not a case of "controlling hormones." It is a young man repeatedly molesting a 4 year old, then 5 year old, then 6 year old, over a 2 year period. That's disturbing, depraved, and horrific.

At 13-15, most of us were making our own share of mistakes, many of which would be embarrassing if publicized. But those "mistakes" don't include repeatedly, consciously molesting a 4 year old. That's not a mistake.

Similarly (I recognize you didn't say this), It's not a case of he-said-she-said. He confessed to it in his own handwriting.

HToady

[QUOTE="NNM, post: 2416869, member: 1772"
He can continue to live a life of contrition, and be a positive model for changed behavior. He can do that many ways, for the next 60 years of his life. However, he should not be playing college baseball on scholarship. He should not be paid to play major league baseball.[/QUOTE]
I agree that this type of behavior requires a life of contrition. Whether or not he plays baseball or not his actions will follow him and he will always be suspect....which I agree should come with his actions.

Pharm Frog

Assuming he truly is a pedophile, he has a disease. Like I said, I hope the therapy was effective.

I'm glad he's not on our team.

I think we have a tendency to label things as diseases that may be more appropriately labeled as bad behavior resulting from poor decisions and moral weakness. But I also know that our healthcare industry relies heavily on discovering and branding new diseases.

And could not be more spot on with the final statement IMO