• The KillerFrogs

Defense Not That Great.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Everyone keeps speaking of the d in terms of brilliant etc. statistics do not bear that out though. Top is about even on season and ya we have some sacks but we giving up a bunch of yards and points and untimely big plays.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Just researched this. We are fifth in the big 12 in scoringd and third in yards allowed d

Our vaunted pass d? Third in big 12. About 25 th in country. Ou pass d 2nd. Baylor 4th

Interceptions we 2nd in country with 13

FrogGrillz

on paper, we give up what seems to be a lot more points than last year. Yeah, we still hold big12 teams with offensive power to relatively low numbers, but its just that: relative.  Undoubtedly, it is a staunch unit, well worth the respect that every opposing team gives it.  But it has proven that in nearly every loss (and some wins too), it has gotten worn down and tired to the point of giving up critical 4th quarter points.  These are high performance NCAA Big12 athletes: they ought to be in prime condition to play a full 4 quarters and overtime without breaking down at the end: this is mental, not physical.

Blame that on the offense requiring them to be on the field all the time, or just being tired in general, it doesn't really matter.  The defense is a one of the nation's finest, but it has not proven to be among the nations most disciplined nor the most reliable in the 4th quarter.

Limey Frog

The most telling stat on this D is the number 7. That's how many games they have kept us in with less than no help at all from the other two units. Most other defenses in cfb would have seen at least one blow out loss by now, just as most offenses would be unbeaten with this defense.

Moose Stuff

steelfrog said:
Yes but as Steel indicated, Time of Possession is about even. We won it against ou and OSU believe it or not
Yes, because they're getting the other team off the field just as quickly as our offense is leaving it more often than not. I'd like to see where our games rank nationally in terms of total combined possessions for both teams. I bet it's pretty high.

Another way to look at it is compare what our opponents have scored against us versus what they average on the year.

Edit - for example we held Tech almost 20 points below their season AVG

notyalc

Our Defense is awesome. We play the toughest schedule in college football and our guys are ranked #15 in Total Defense.

We've gone up against 4 top 20 teams and held them to unusually low numbers.

We bend and I doubt we would break if it weren't for our offense turning the ball over and committing repeated 3 and outs. This wears us down in the 4th Quarter.

rifram09

Our defense is great, but there is definitely room got improvement. The offense isn't helping much. But think back to the LSU game. The number of third and longs they converted was staggering. OSU and Stewart were able to convert enough of those too. I'd say that our d is great, not elite, but certainly good enough to win a bunch of games if it played with a respectable o.

Still kind of a young group. And they've inproves throughout the season

FrogSwagSurfin

Is Steel retarded, 5 years old, or gay? I can just imagine the dork giggling at his computer, I bet it's safe to say pulling us offsides is the highlight of his week.

Kinda reminds me of Remus when he refers to himself in the third person

Frostie

steelfrog said:
Everyone keeps speaking of the d in terms of brilliant etc. statistics do not bear that out though. Top is about even on season and ya we have some sacks but we giving up a bunch of yards and points and untimely big plays.
I was just in a horrific accident, my left arm is buried in the grill of the truck that hit me head on, I am hemorrhaging out of my left shoulder, but all I am doing is looking down at the cut on my right arm wondering if it is going to leave a scar. I'll let you figure out the point of the story, because I am done saying it. 

sheetman

http://www.cfbsheets.com/2013/main.html

My site has us at(national ranks)

4th in defensive drive efficiency
4th in defensive points per play
4th in defensive success rate

I would say that's pretty damn good. For reference, in 2012 we were around 13th in those catergories, and 2010 we were 8th in those catergories except defensive success rate where we were 2nd.

sheetman

Moose Stuff said:
Yes, because they're getting the other team off the field just as quickly as our offense is leaving it more often than not. I'd like to see where our games rank nationally in terms of total combined possessions for both teams. I bet it's pretty high.

Another way to look at it is compare what our opponents have scored against us versus what they average on the year.

Edit - for example we held Tech almost 20 points below their season AVG

Our game against Texas Tech was the 2nd best defensive performance by any team so far this year

Our game against Oklahoma State was the 7th best.

We have 3 games in the Top 25.

http://www.cfbsheets.com/2013/grank_TDDAADJ.html

JugbandFrog

I would say they are good, but not ELITE.  

As bad as our offense has been, they still managed to make it a game in EVERY single 4th quarter.  The O had some Mo, but the D kills it and puts the game out of reach each time.  

I know there are so many factors in play, but you can't dispute what has happened at the end of games.

Frostie

sheetman said:
http://www.cfbsheets.com/2013/main.html

My site has us at(national ranks)

4th in defensive drive efficiency
4th in defensive points per play
4th in defensive success rate

I would say that's pretty damn good. For reference, in 2012 we were around 13th in those catergories, and 2010 we were 8th in those catergories except defensive success rate where we were 2nd.
How dare you present solid facts, when we are ranting!