• The KillerFrogs

Defense Needs to Figure it Out Before Halftime

Wexahu

On the one hand, there is certainly something going on early in games but on the other, it's not for the most part egregious examples of blown coverages and the like. A lot of it early today we had players in position but they just failed to make the tackle. Also, we've had injuries at two of the safety positions that has made it sort of a revolving door and there is a particular player in that rotation that has played just as bad for this staff as he did the last. Bradford should be back next game and hopefully they can start accelerating the adjustment process.
We came out VERY soft today. Some guys were in position to make plays and acted like they didn’t want to hit anyone.

And I think I know who you’re talking about on the back end. He might be our softest player.

Pharm Frog

Held Colorado to 6, Tarleton to 7, SMU to 14, and Kansas to 3 in the first halves. And….8-0. For those thinking this defense is going to gel into some outstanding full-game shut-down unit with the personnel on hand and a new system, you’re working on unrealistic expectations. Teams win. Teams lose. I don’t know the first thing about Gillespie but I know he’s 8-0 and his defense has stepped up.

Enjoy the freaking ride. These coaches…all of them…are doing something nobody had any rational reason to think was possible. Frogs could go 8-4 and this is still a fantastic turn-around. Should have started this about four years ago but that’s another story.

Toad Jones

Statistically, we've seen a little improvement on defense, but the same issues are plaguing us that have plagued us in recent years - constant missed tackles, diving at ball-carriers when it's totally unnecessary, holes all over the secondary, and when we are able to stay with receivers, we either don't turn around for the ball or we get out-muscled for it. Where exactly are the improvements?
It will catch up to us one game. We have one in the secondary that has a hard time keeping his feet under him and when it happens, usually points result. Last two games, that has happened twice at critical times. Wondering when he's beaten, if that is an easy excuse.?? a secondary player.. playing man..? ?? Tackling, bump tackling.. Guess a little late for tackling drills this late in the season!!

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the heck out of this ride, but while this defense has shown they have what it takes to shut down some of the best offenses in the league but they just haven't put it together in the first half. When they do, it will be one heck of a show.
They're saving it for Dec.3rd.

Horny4TCU

Or... a sexy nurse.
Nurse GIF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yes, we won: Thanks to a monstrously prolific offense with threats all over the field. The defense, OTOH, evidently can't stop anybody when the scoreboard has the numbers "1" and "2" on it, leaving that fabulous offense to dig the team out of a hole.

Yes, we are undefeated, but one would be a fool to not see the danger signs flashing past us. One can only play with fire for so long. In the games remaining, there are three offenses which can score points in bunches. Doesn't mean they will, but they have the capability. Two of them we play on the road. All of them have Staffs that can dissect our schemes and players, and tease out our tendencies.

So far, our defensive staff seems to be in a "Hit your head with a hammer for two quarters, then stop." Yes, it sure feels good when you stop, but why were you hitting your head with a hammer in the first place?

Eight

Yes, we won: Thanks to a monstrously prolific offense with threats all over the field. The defense, OTOH, evidently can't stop anybody when the scoreboard has the numbers "1" and "2" on it, leaving that fabulous offense to dig the team out of a hole.

Yes, we are undefeated, but one would be a fool to not see the danger signs flashing past us. One can only play with fire for so long. In the games remaining, there are three offenses which can score points in bunches. Doesn't mean they will, but they have the capability. Two of them we play on the road. All of them have Staffs that can dissect our schemes and players, and tease out our tendencies.

So far, our defensive staff seems to be in a "Hit your head with a hammer for two quarters, then stop." Yes, it sure feels good when you stop, but why were you hitting your head with a hammer in the first place?

so what do you want them to do with the personnel they inherited, recruited, and trained now for 9 months and please don't say something along the line of do better

NewFrogFan

Some of yall have zero clues. We literally chgd the defense to 335 with 425 personnel and some portal guys. We have the toughest SOS in the country. We are not in the MWC anymore. It will take time. In the meantime, we are finding ways to make important stops in the 2nd half. Enjoy it!
So you think the TP defense guys were not brought in because of the switch? What about Fr recruits that are playing? This argument is as lame as “they are young”. What do athletes that play football do when/if they go to the NFL?

BrewingFrog

so what do you want them to do with the personnel they inherited, recruited, and trained now for 9 months and please don't say something along the line of do better
Do better.

(Honestly. You asked for it...)

Seriously, I don't know what the game planning is for the defensive side of the ball, but no one looks to have any idea what is going on for the first few series. Then there are some good halftime adjustments, and we usually tighten up quite a bit. The question is, why so slow and unprepared in the first half? What are they missing that needs some tune-ups at halftime, that they somehow missed in all the film study prior to the game? I am aware that teams have their own plans and schemes based on their breakdowns and evaluation of our film, but part of being a Coach is knowing your players shortcomings and strengths. Thus, they sort-of have an idea of where they will be attacked.

I suppose the bright spot is, they can make some simple adjustments and things tighten up.

Horny4TCU

Some of yall have zero clues. We literally chgd the defense to 335 with 425 personnel and some portal guys. We have the toughest SOS in the country. We are not in the MWC anymore. It will take time. In the meantime, we are finding ways to make important stops in the 2nd half. Enjoy it!
If TAM (Aggies) can have high expectations from new coaches, why can't we?

Eight

Do better.

(Honestly. You asked for it...)

Seriously, I don't know what the game planning is for the defensive side of the ball, but no one looks to have any idea what is going on for the first few series. Then there are some good halftime adjustments, and we usually tighten up quite a bit. The question is, why so slow and unprepared in the first half? What are they missing that needs some tune-ups at halftime, that they somehow missed in all the film study prior to the game? I am aware that teams have their own plans and schemes based on their breakdowns and evaluation of our film, but part of being a Coach is knowing your players shortcomings and strengths. Thus, they sort-of have an idea of where they will be attacked.

I suppose the bright spot is, they can make some simple adjustments and things tighten up.

the frogs are running a very basic defense in large part because of the time in this defense and the personnel

they have some talent in the defensive front, but their biggest strengths there are depth, being coached up, and playing hard. when you look at who the second unit is for the defensive line and remember none of those guys were even at tcu last december there has been a great deal of change in a very short time

linebacker and safety is the same and those two units have been hurt by some key injuries. losing brooks was a big deal at linebacker, armstrong was lost when he was coming on, and winters looks like he is knicked up some.

safety has gone through a string of injuries and you have some guys who are being exposed a bit now that there has been film out on them

another issue is you have some guys who look to be still trying to break old habits or how they were taught. consider a couple of deep balls where the corner didn't turn their head to find the ball which was a common technique taught by the staff. not wrong, but not sure seems this staff wants them to find the ball and make a play on it. i could be all wrong on that.

finally, the other issue for the defensive staff and a number of these players is this is the first time they are seeing these teams, these players. gonzales is the only coach on this staff and roughly half the guys playing on defense have an idea what some of these players for wvu are capable, how quick they are, tendencies etc....

think we start very cautious and tighten up and it is a byproduct of the huge learning curve this team has gone through in less than a years time

Eight

If TAM (Aggies) can have high expectations from new coaches, why can't we?

you can't have them, but one would hope based upon where this program was just 12 months ago, the fact they can even slow down an opposing offense should be some sort of satisfaction

BrewingFrog

the frogs are running a very basic defense in large part because of the time in this defense and the personnel

they have some talent in the defensive front, but their biggest strengths there are depth, being coached up, and playing hard. when you look at who the second unit is for the defensive line and remember none of those guys were even at tcu last december there has been a great deal of change in a very short time

linebacker and safety is the same and those two units have been hurt by some key injuries. losing brooks was a big deal at linebacker, armstrong was lost when he was coming on, and winters looks like he is knicked up some.

safety has gone through a string of injuries and you have some guys who are being exposed a bit now that there has been film out on them

another issue is you have some guys who look to be still trying to break old habits or how they were taught. consider a couple of deep balls where the corner didn't turn their head to find the ball which was a common technique taught by the staff. not wrong, but not sure seems this staff wants them to find the ball and make a play on it. i could be all wrong on that.

finally, the other issue for the defensive staff and a number of these players is this is the first time they are seeing these teams, these players. gonzales is the only coach on this staff and roughly half the guys playing on defense have an idea what some of these players for wvu are capable, how quick they are, tendencies etc....

think we start very cautious and tighten up and it is a byproduct of the huge learning curve this team has gone through in less than a years time
I can accept that. As noted, we have been playing the literal cream of the Conference these last weeks, and not a gang of schmoes.

At some point, the lights go on for everybody. They have several games under their belts, and hours of playing time. Now is the time.

Toad Jones

We were lucky. For about 15 minutes, Sonny's body language, facial expressions changed. The coach did not like our behavior and for a second, the compass pointed in the wrong direction. He was worried.

Those posters, who have been on this forum for a long time, know, coach's read the fans' reaction from the game. So, fans have a small window to tell their side of their thoughts through Killer Frogs etc.,.. In doing so, a little frustration is vented by the fans to the coach's and sometimes the boys on the field. Yes, the guys on the field read this forum and another forum frequently. 99% of the members of KF are saying we're a little concerned. Tell me, where else is this privilege offered? After all, we do have the right to vent, for some of the posters on KF have been around longer than many of you are old.

btw: GP assigned one person to monitor fan forums as it is a gauge.

Chongo94

We were lucky. For about 15 minutes, Sonny's body language, facial expressions changed. The coach did not like our behavior and for a second, the compass pointed in the wrong direction. He was worried.

Those posters, who have been on this forum for a long time, know, coach's read the fans' reaction from the game. So, fans have a small window to tell their side of their thoughts through Killer Frogs etc.,.. In doing so, a little frustration is vented by the fans to the coach's and sometimes the boys on the field. Yes, the guys on the field read this forum and another forum frequently. 99% of the members of KF are saying we're a little concerned. Tell me, where else is this privilege offered? After all, we do have the right to vent, for some of the posters on KF have been around longer than many of you are old.

btw: GP assigned one person to monitor fan forums as it is a gauge.
I mean, if you think a coach wastes his or her time reading a fan message board, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I’d like to sell you.