• The KillerFrogs

Dear Rose Bowl Frog

JugbandFrog

I figure since people have debates and concerns, and Rose Bowl Frog appears to be our most recent authority on the recent goings on at TCU, lets have a forum where he can answer our questions.

He has already answered the Case of the Rose Bowl Cleats. Verdict: The grass was slippery. Skill position players wore their normal cleats. New Nike Cleats = not evil. The only debate now is should they have worn the new Nike cleats? Hmm...

I will ask my first question: What is your opinion on the team running the short side option? Good play or bad play?

ricksterh

This is a ? that I asked Rose Bowl Frog in another thread about bowl games :unsure:

Rose Bowl Frog, the team seemed to learn from the experience of what happened at the Fiesta Bowl that heleped for the focus and preparation at the Rose Bowl. Can you comment on that?

Houston Frog

I think the short side option is a great play when it isn't the staple of the offense

Wesley is great at running it, too.... even when it looked like he was gonna get stopped for no gain, he wold squeeze his way 4-5 yards up the field

57Frog

I will ask my first question: What is your opinion on the team running the short side option? Good play or bad play?
I am not the person you asked but if I may give an opinion ...
The sso works best when we line up two wideouts on the short side then put one in ,otion to the opposite side . The DB will follow him and then he is effectively "blocked " out of the play . Then with a lead blocker we can over power the remaining DB and the play works well .
When Schultz was here I never saw us bring a receiver in motion from the short side to move the DB out of the area .
Some one correct me if I am mistaken .
Go Frogs .

rosebowlfrog

I figure since people have debates and concerns, and Rose Bowl Frog appears to be our most recent authority on the recent goings on at TCU, lets have a forum where he can answer our questions.

He has already answered the Case of the Rose Bowl Cleats. Verdict: The grass was slippery. Skill position players wore their normal cleats. New Nike Cleats = not evil. The only debate now is should they have worn the new Nike cleats? Hmm...

I wasn't an offensive player, so I can't answer this to 100% certainty, but I think that was more of a Schultz play. I rarely remember running that play with Fuente. Schultz was there for my first 3 years and Fuente my last 2. I think we ran a lot less option under Fuente. That didn't stop us from having a period or two in every 2-a-day practice where the offense would run nothing but option plays against our defense. Both the offense and defensive players hated that period, because the drill was all about receivers blocking(which they hate doing) and the defensive backs having to get off those blocks(which is hard because the receivers resorted to holding a lot).

jake102

Since you're from the defensive side, who will be the biggest surprise on that side of the ball? I'm thinking Yendrey is going to tear it up...

rosebowlfrog

This is a ? that I asked Rose Bowl Frog in another thread about bowl games :unsure:

Rose Bowl Frog, the team seemed to learn from the experience of what happened at the Fiesta Bowl that heleped for the focus and preparation at the Rose Bowl. Can you comment on that?

At the Fiesta Bowl I think things got out of hand. Yeah, every bowl I went to(5 of them) we had guys staying out late at night and doing undesirable things. But the difference was that the first 3 bowls I went to we were only there for a handful of days, so we only had a night or two to stay out late. At the Fiesta Bowl it was a whole week, so we had several nights to stay out late. I think this caused a lot of our guys to "make connections" around the Scottsdale area and want to revisit those places.

So on the nights of January 2/January 3, when curfew was a lot earlier, we had a lot of guys ignore it and still stay out late at night doing stupid things. On January 3, the night before the game, we had people sneak out of their hotel rooms and go out. It wasn't hard to do since the hotel resort property was gigantic and a lot of people were either on the 1st or 2nd floor, so all they had to do was walk out the back door of their hotel room and that was it. It wasn't a normal hotel where there are only a few ways in and out, it was a huge property that was very open spaced and really had no boundaries. So it was very easy to sneak out of the place. Anyway, they'd sneak out of their rooms and get picked up by their friends and stay out all night. There were several guys who rolled back into the hotel at around 8 in the morning that day. I think the problem with the Fiesta Bowl trip was too many people treated it as a vacation rather than a week to prepare to win a game.

The Rose Bowl was different. The coaching staff really didn't tighten up curfew or enforce any new rules, but it was more of the seniors and players self policing each other and holding each other accountable. We really wanted to win. I am not saying we didn't have guys go out and stay out late and do stupid things, I would say more players than not did, but it was more toned down. A couple nights in to our trip we had an incident where some of our key players were robbed at a party and stayed out past curfew, and 2 walk on players came in past curfew. Well, our coaching staff got pretty mad and chewed us out pretty bad, and sent those 2 walk ons home on a greyhound bus to send an example. A lot of us were kind of pissed because we felt that if those 2 walk ons get sent home, so should the key players that were out late as well, but I guess we needed those key players for the game. I feel that equal treatment should have been applied to be fair. But after that, not a single person broke curfew the rest of the trip and our guys were a lot more responsible. It was that kind of message that needed to be sent, I think. Throw that in with the fact that a lot of seniors weren't going to put up with any bull[Craig James](some of us got vocal at times), the problem took care of itself.

Bowl games are tricky, because our coaching staff doesn't want to babysit, and they know that our guys are going to do stupid things. Hell, each bowl trip I went to, as soon as we got to our hotel and had our meeting with the police chief, 90% of the team would do a mass exodus from the hotel to the nearest place to buy liquor. The only way to keep this from being a problem is the team policing itself and being accountable to each other. I think we did this just enough to win the Rose Bowl. At the Poinsettia Bowl(2nd one) I don't think we were there long enough for it to affect us.

rosebowlfrog

Sounds like we have a bunch of alcoholics on the team. Thank god we have Pachall to lay down the law next year.

Unless he has changed(I haven't seen him since January 2), won't happen

A lot of the distrust us graduated seniors had with him was some of the things he did during the Fiesta Bowl trip.

Not to call him out, but it really left a bad impression on many of us.

There are some things that we all can tolerate, but some things that just go to far.

I am a pretty open minded person and can understand why people do things, but some of the things that occured really put me off.

For the sake of privacy, I won't say what went down. It was 2 years ago anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore.

jake102

Yeah that was two years ago... he was a college freshman that year. I was kidding about the laying down the law thing, but I hope he can act accordingly. Or Tank is gonna have to keep everyone on track.

Boomhauer

Unless he has changed(I haven't seen him since January 2), won't happen

A lot of the distrust us graduated seniors had with him was some of the things he did during the Fiesta Bowl trip.

Not to call him out, but it really left a bad impression on many of us.

There are some things that we all can tolerate, but some things that just go to far.

I am a pretty open minded person and can understand why people do things, but some of the things that occured really put me off.

For the sake of privacy, I won't say what went down. It was 2 years ago anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Rose Bowl Frog has to be on the TCU athletic office's Most Wanted List

MTfrog5

Sounds like the coaching staff did what a lot of people what do by sending home the walk-ons. A person with more investment in them always gets more chances compared to someone who doesn't have a scholarship. I know a pitcher who use to be in the Yankees system, got in a fight with one of there better prospects. The reason why it went down was because the prospect shaved his eyebrows while "sleeping". The prospect wasn't kicked off but the pitcher was.

rosebowlfrog

Yeah good luck man. I suspect there will be a day when you will suddenly stop posting. And possibly be missing.

I don't mean any ill will doing this. It's not like I have a vendetta or anything. It was the greatest 5 years of my life being a part of this team.

I don't think anyone will find out who I am and I am not worried. If people did, I think people would be very surprised. I think I'd be the last person anyone would guess.

I must say that a lot of players, current and former, are aware about my account and (wrong) accusations are starting to fly around. All I ask of you guys is to not accuse anyone of who I am. We don't need innocent people being accused of posting these things and the consequences that could occur. It's best just to leave who I am to the imagination.

rosebowlfrog

Yeah that was two years ago... he was a college freshman that year. I was kidding about the laying down the law thing, but I hope he can act accordingly. Or Tank is gonna have to keep everyone on track.

You're right, but there was another guy involved who DID play in the game and played like crap.

I hope he realizes that its his team now and he rights the ship. In fact, that's what I expect him to do.

I am certain to say he did a lot of that stuff because he didn't have any responsibilities to the team at the time, since he wasn't going to play.

Deep Purple

I respect Rose Bowl Frog's explanation that our receivers and DB's were slipping down not because of the cleats, but because of the slippery grass at the Rose Bowl. But I do have a follow-up question... or two.

How come the Rose Bowl grass was slippery only for our receivers and DB's, but not for Wisconsin's? The Badgers certainly weren't slipping on the turf like we were. I noticed this not only in the broadcast, but in person while attending the game. Also, what about Erin Andrews broadcast sideline report that the problem was the cleats? Was she misinformed by some team staff member, or did she simply report her own uninformed assumption?

Deep Purple

I think the short side option is a great play when it isn't the staple of the offense
We ran it twice at the Rose Bowl. The first time, it gained good yardage. The second time, it was stuffed for no gain.

The SSO is a good play when it's unexpected. When it's expected, it's pretty easy to defend. Just use string it out and use the sideline as a 12th defender.