• The KillerFrogs

Dalton to replace Brady???

Purp

I haven't heard of very many people debating whether Brees or Brady are better. That's a pretty clear cut and straight forward choice. If you talk about stats and what might happen swapping people from team to team, the one thing that you have to consider is weather. Brady played 10 games per year in Foxboro, New York, and Buffalo. All of which are notorious for windy and cold conditions that make throwing very difficult. Compare that to guys like Brees and Manning who played over half their games every year in domes. That alone has statistical impacts that can't really be measured.

Brady also had to win with mostly middling skill talent. He had a few years with Gronk but really no WR's that scared people outside of the one year with Moss. And in that one year with Moss, Brady put up absolutely insane numbers.
I can't believe anyone would choose Manning over Brady. Manning choked in the biggest moments while Brady excelled. Not to mention Manning played the majority of his career with Harrison, Wayne, Clark and the same center for like 15 seasons in a dome.

Both of Manning's Super Bowls came courtesy of the two seasons where his defense was elite (especially the case for the Denver SB where he was terriawful)
Country, I agree the dome factor is significant, but so are coaching staffs, scheme/system, defense and ST units, division strength, etc. The reason I quoted Jake here too is b/c very few of Brees' Saints teams had a good defense while most of Brady's teams did. His post affirmed the point that team stats like wins and postseason accomplishments are about more than just QB play. I'd add to this that Brees in the NFC South was hardly playing the best division in football every year, but the AFC East has been one of the worst divisions in the NFL annually for Brady's entire career. That makes as much or more of a difference as playing in a dome most of the time and obviously makes these debates and comparisons much more difficult.

For me, the Patriots' success over the last 2 decades boils down to Belichick. He's the GOAT. I truly believe he could have taken half the QBs in the league instead of Brady and had the same amount of success. How else can we explain Cassel, Garoppolo, and the 3rd string guy who won games after Garoppolo got hurt? They've won with every back-up QB they've had to play, then the back-up leaves for a huge deal and proceeds to suck a rat out of a snake's arse.

Tom Brady is clearly one of the best QBs ever; perhaps even the best ever. I just disagree that it's undisputed. Tirico and Collinsworth even suggested as much at least once this season during Saints games.

jake102

Then we disagree.

JG is on a 5 year $138MM contract as the starting QB of the #1 seed in the NFC. Bridgewater is on a 1 year $7MM contract as a backup. I think Bridgewater will get a deal somewhere else, but it's not touching 5/$138 and very possibly not as a guaranteed starter

Zubaz

Bridgewater is very good, and it's admirable how he's recovered from his injury. He'll be a starter somewhere very soon.

Jimmy G is way better, and as a Niners fan, that....Feels Great, Baby (tm).

Purp

JG is on a 5 year $138MM contract as the starting QB of the #1 seed in the NFC. Bridgewater is on a 1 year $7MM contract as a backup. I think Bridgewater will get a deal somewhere else, but it's not touching 5/$138 and very possibly not as a guaranteed starter
Their circumstances are nowhere close to the same. Comparing salary doesn't do anything for me in deciding who is better. On what planet would anybody pay a guy recovering from Bridgewater's injury $28MM a year for 5 years? But the fact that he was severely injured previously and playing on a 1 year deal as a back-up doesn't mean he isn't better than Garoppolo. If Teddy were in SF instead of JG you think they wouldn't be the #1 seed in the NFC?

Wexahu

For those of you who think Belichick has carried Brady more than the other way around, Belichick was 36-44 in Cleveland and Nick Saban was on his staff for four of those years. Belichick becoming a great coach began when Drew Bledsoe got hurt and Tom Brady walked in to replace him.