• The KillerFrogs

CWS Saturday Semifinal Thread: TCU vs. Coastal Carolina (7 pm)

Ron Swanson

TCUFROG1998 said:
It's like taking the hottest chick home from the bar and passing out before the fun happens. So close boys...
If it's a Baylor player bringing her home and she's the one passing out, the fun can still happen!!

Frog DJ

Just an observation here, but filling all the downtime between the action in a baseball game is a fine art for a play-by-play/color commentary team, and not every broadcaster can handle the demands.

Even experienced play-by-play/color commentators always have to fall back on stories from "back in the day," and making fun of fans and things "outside the lines" in the ballpark to fill in the gaps.

Go back and listen to Vin Scully's recent comments about communism in South America as a reference.  Notice how many times they reset the facts, "Winner of this game advances.  Loser goes home."

ESPN even recognizes the challenge by putting not one, but two color guys in the booth with the play-by-play man at the College World Series, and they still struggle to keep things compelling.

Don't get me wrong.  I yelled at the TV last night too - especially when they spent an entire half inning interviewing the Arizona coach during one of the most crucial TCU at-bat half innings.

I kept screaming, "How about you guys talk about this game, for cryin' out loud?"  But at the same time, I know firsthand how difficult it can be to find things to discuss without repeating yourself.

So, I'm not pretending the broadcast crew was perfect, but it's easy to criticize their performance when you've never had to do it yourself.  It's a whole lot tougher than it looks.

Just another perspective...

Go Frogs!

tcumaniac

I wonder if Schloss is second guessing his approach to being in the winners bracket at all.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong or that it was the reason we lost, but it seems like he took a "let's not think or worry about baseball for a day" approach on Thursday, letting our team take a day off, swim, hang out, and enjoy their time in Omaha with the intention of keeping the team relaxed and loose.

I wonder if this may have ultimately caused us to relax a little too much as we let our foot off the gas and lost a little bit of our edge. Just a thought.

CountryFrog

tcumaniac said:
I wonder if Schloss is second guessing his approach to being in the winners bracket at all.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong or that it was the reason we lost, but it seems like he took a "let's not think or worry about baseball for a day" approach on Thursday, letting our team take a day off, swim, hang out, and enjoy their time in Omaha with the intention of keeping the team relaxed and loose.

I wonder if this may have ultimately caused us to relax a little too much as we let our foot off the gas and lost a little bit of our edge. Just a thought.
You're probably over thinking it a bit. There can only be one champion in the end. Everyone else can find numerous things that they could've done differently to possibly change the outcome but the Frogs made it further than all but two teams so they clearly did more right than wrong along the way.

These guys have been playing baseball non stop for months now. I don't think a single day off having fun had any impact on the game yesterday. I'd like to think that all college coaches aren't afraid of letting kids relax and have a little bit of fun now and then.

orrwasright

Obviously CCU and Arizona are buttoned down by the book teams.

What caught up with this team was the trouble at time to drive runners in, two plays on fly balls that might have been made and weren't, and issues with starting pitching.

Traver gave what he could but he hasn't logged the innings to build up the endurance to give the Frogs the game he was capable of last season. Spirit was willing, but the body couldn't answer the call.  As for yesterday TCU started the game with the best starter they had available and this is not to knock him in any way possible, but who would have believed he would have been the guy to be handed the ball to start one of the two biggest games in TCU baseball history.