• The KillerFrogs

Compiling Big East Membership

Will this constitute the Big East football membership

for at least the next twenty-seven months?

Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
TCU
West Virginia

Connecticut * (applied to ACC)
Rutgers * (applied to ACC)

Pittsburgh ** (accepted by ACC)
Syracuse ** (accepted by ACC)

Possible new additions:

Air Force
Navy

TCUdirtbag

Hypothetically say:
- We get a cold shoulder from the Big 12
- We move to the BIG EAST as planned for 2012 & 2013
- We win the BIG EAST conference both years (arguably unlikely of course, but possible)
- Pitt & Cuse exit for ACC, along with any other defectors to other conferences (WVU-SEC, Louis/Cinci-B12, Rut/UConn-ACC)

Then surely something must be done for TCU. If we go to a BCS bowl after winning the Big East, whose losers are getting picked off by other "big" conferences, how does the system ignore a school that won the conference and went to 3+ BCS bowls in 5 years?

I have a hard time believing we won't be okay. The future may be uncertain, but if Patterson, Pachall & Co. take care of business, then I think our future, though uncertain, will be fine.

Though I'd love to join a secure Big 12, I'd love to see TCU go in and win in the Big East in 2012 and/or 2013 first. It would be a good preparatory step and would be great for basketball in the mean time.

To me, beat case scenario involves BYU to Big 12 in 2012 and TCU and Louisville to Big 12 in 2014 (when the BEAST dissolves, losing 4 to ACC, 1 to SEC, and 2 to Big 12--sorry Cinci & USF--unless B12 goes to 14 with those two)

Limp Lizard

Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
TCU
West Virginia

Possible new additions:

Air Force
Navy
Don't see UConn or Rutgers getting the bid from the ACC. The service academy's would be a nice addition, except that you have to prepare for the triple option. I guess in this case you try to get all 3 so that the preparation can be used three time a year instead of once a year.Might have to add UCF. Or..the 5-ton elephant in the room: Notre Dame. which would probably not go anyway but is the most known team in the countryl If an agreement could be worked out to let ND keep many of its money, who know...ND in the Big East would cause excitement and put buts in the seats. The Big ten is the closest fit, it is in the hart of Big Ten country. Big EAST is closer than ACC or SEC. THE BE taking BOISE really stretches the conference. NO matter what you think of them, thet are academicalll strong, have a strong mystique and would fill up out stadium with normally lukewarm fans.

Virginia Frog

Don't see UConn or Rutgers getting the bid from the ACC.
I think you are 100% right.

The "magic number" NOW for conference expansion is 14 not 16.

The SEC very well (before Jul 1, 2012 "take" #14 (WVU or Mizzou) and go to 14.

The ACC going to 14 was a DEFENSIVE MOVE against any future attrition to the SEC. They stop at 14 until at least after Pitt & Syracuse are finally MEMBERS in 2015-16 (27 months is reduced to 23 months as part of the "leaving BE" negotiations, I bet.)

The ACC needs FOOTBALL strong members...Rutgers or UConn are FAR from that. The ACC strategists may have desire for UConn (Tops in mens and womens bb) for better penetration into New England, but the "need" for Rutgers (NY market - they are counting on Syracuse for that) is nil. (UConn & WVU, MAYBE I could see for added fb strength- won't happen - WVU academics.)

I still think that the SEC's REAL coup would be the Tar Heels - the ACC's not safe yet! VaTech for the huge DC market is sill possible IMO.

I think the leftover BigEast has some possibility of survival. The dis-function in the Big12 is not over. And if Mizzou goes SEC, "they" are not stable as a conference either.

purplepreacher

Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
TCU
West Virginia

Possible new additions:

Air Force
Navy
add temple, ecu, Navy, and I will be happy

Endless Purple

Don't see UConn or Rutgers getting the bid from the ACC. The service academy's would be a nice addition, except that you have to prepare for the triple option. I guess in this case you try to get all 3 so that the preparation can be used three time a year instead of once a year.Might have to add UCF. Or..the 5-ton elephant in the room: Notre Dame. which would probably not go anyway but is the most known team in the countryl If an agreement could be worked out to let ND keep many of its money, who know...ND in the Big East would cause excitement and put buts in the seats. The Big ten is the closest fit, it is in the hart of Big Ten country. Big EAST is closer than ACC or SEC. THE BE taking BOISE really stretches the conference. NO matter what you think of them, thet are academicalll strong, have a strong mystique and would fill up out stadium with normally lukewarm fans.
I think a big reason ND likes independence is the freedom in scheduling. I do not see them joining the BE unless there is only a 7 game conference schedule between 8 teams.

I don't think they would take a hit money wise since I am sure the BE contract would go up and the BE would provide a minimum guarantee to match their current funding level from NBC. (even if that means unequal distribution)