• The KillerFrogs

Colonial

BaldingBear

I'm making my annual trip to Colonial this week and was wondering what impact, if any, construction on ACS was going to have on parking. I always park at ACS and ride the bus to Colonial; anybody know if i might have to look elsewhere this time around? Thanks in advance.

HToady

Yes. Parking and shuttles will be available at TCU ACS (east side) as usual as well as Farrington Field.

Member Parking will be at Lupton Stadium this year.

Frogustat

I'm making my annual trip to Colonial this week and was wondering what impact, if any, construction on ACS was going to have on parking. I always park at ACS and ride the bus to Colonial; anybody know if i might have to look elsewhere this time around? Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to the parking map from the tournament website. Hope this helps. Look forward to opening our season with you guys in September.

http://crowneplazainvitational.com/outside/outsidelink.asp?Link=/Upload/Files/documents/map_parking_public.pdf

froginmn

Since the topic is Colonial I thought I would take the opportunity to barge in and change the focus slightly.

As a freshman several years back I needed to take one elective for Physical Education. I thought I was being smart when a friend and I signed up for bowling - we'd get to smoke in class!

I felt quite a bit "less smart" when I subsequently found out that the last activity for the "golf" elective was a round at - you guessed it - Colonial...

Houston Frog

Since the topic is Colonial I thought I would take the opportunity to barge in and change the focus slightly.

As a freshman several years back I needed to take one elective for Physical Education. I thought I was being smart when a friend and I signed up for bowling - we'd get to smoke in class!

I felt quite a bit "less smart" when I subsequently found out that the last activity for the "golf" elective was a round at - you guessed it - Colonial...

Bowling class at TCU was awesome

HFrog1999

I took Golf @ TCU. We never once played a round anywhere. All we did was hit into the nets behind the bleachers by the indoor pool.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I took Golf @ TCU. We never once played a round anywhere. All we did was hit into the nets behind the bleachers by the indoor pool.

Same here. There, and practicing hitting chip shots in the open ground between main campus and Worth Hills. So, we had to go out on our own and drown sleeves of balls at Rockwood.

82Frog

Psst, HF82, uh, I hope you are planning on going and taking many pictures of those in the gallery (think Priscilla Davis) :biggrin:

Unfortunately I will not be shooting Colonial this year. I may go as a spectator on Saturday.

froginmn

This would have been late 80s early 90s. Not sure when you took golf... I guess I didn't WITNESS the students playing at Colonial, but my sources at the time seemed good...

They may have closed the Colonial loophole when people realized the value of that one round was more than the cost of the credit hour...

As for smoking in class, this class was held at Don Carter's Lanes. Smoking in the lanes was allowed back then...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
This would have been late 80s early 90s. Not sure when you took golf... I guess I didn't WITNESS the students playing at Colonial, but my sources at the time seemed good...

personally, I took Golf class in the spring or 85 or 86 (the memory is foggy).

TCU2002

Took the golf class in Fall 2001. Class was at Glen Garden Country Club off of E. Berry.

About as far removed from getting to go to Colonial as one can get. We did not even play a round a Glen Garden as part of the class. Just showed up once a week to hit on the range.

2314@work

Contributor
Unfortunately I will not be shooting Colonial this year. I may go as a spectator on Saturday.
fotoperfeitakm5rc4.jpg

:biggrin:

frogs9497

Took the golf class in Fall 2001. Class was at Glen Garden Country Club off of E. Berry.

About as far removed from getting to go to Colonial as one can get. We did not even play a round a Glen Garden as part of the class. Just showed up once a week to hit on the range.

It's not as far removed it terms of history as one might think. It has a couple of "somewhat" famous former caddies:

As 1 of the 2 country clubs in Fort Worth, the facility was frequently used for family outings. Golf was very popular which gave rise to the need for a caddy. In the early 1920's a caddy could earn $1.00 for a round of golf. This attracted Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson who learned to play the game on sand greens. At age 15 Hogan and Nelson played their first head to head tournament. The annual caddy championship was won by Nelson over Hogan on the final hole of a nine hole play off. Nelson who was famous for his chip shot stymied Hogan preventing him from making his par putt.

http://www.glengardengolf.net/About.aspx

RaiderHater

I recently took the golf class in 09 and as the OP said it was at glen garden country club, which is about the same quality as Rockwood or Zboaz FW muni's. it was $90 for the semester including free green fees and range balls whenever we wanted. But we never played colonial.

Back to the original question, I had the day off today so I went to the practice rounds and parking was in the freshman lot by the stadium. I dont see the construction having a big impact on transportation to and from the colonial.