• The KillerFrogs

College Football is coming back!! In the spring?

jake102

I guess I don't understand the "financial disaster" if you have football but without fans in the stadium. It's my understanding the vast majority of revenue (and more importantly, profit) comes from the TV contracts.

You push it to spring 2021, and an ACL injury (and other injuries) will result in missing two seasons instead of one.

Eight

I guess I don't understand the "financial disaster" if you have football but without fans in the stadium. It's my understanding the vast majority of revenue (and more importantly, profit) comes from the TV contracts.

You push it to spring 2021, and an ACL injury (and other injuries) will result in missing two seasons instead of one.

consider lost revenue to say the university of texas who in 2018 had $42.4M in ticket revenues and that doesn't include suite/box revenue plus concessions which is a significant amount of revenue lost

vicarfrog

consider lost revenue to say the university of texas who in 2018 had $42.4M in ticket revenues and that doesn't include suite/box revenue plus concessions which is a significant amount of revenue lost

And then you're talking about various people out of work who get paid because of football revenue:
Custodians
Security
Ushers
Concession stand employees

Moose Stuff

If we aren’t back to the normal everyday grind come September, then CFB will be the least of our worries. Just my op.

I am not sure if cutting of a toe to deal with a hangnail is best for the long term.

We've got to be back to somewhat of a normal grind far before September for there to be football in September. You can't just have zero access to your team for several months, the vast majority of which hasn't had access to a weight room, and just show up and start playing football games.

The thought of subjecting oneself and/or even one's family into a large crowded environment totally

devoid of the protection of any known accredited clinical safeguards.....would seem somewhat akin to

shooting craps in Vegas.

vicarfrog

The thought of subjecting oneself and/or even one's family into a large crowded environment totally

devoid of the protection of any known accredited clinical safeguards.....would seem somewhat akin to

shooting craps in Vegas.

I keep going back to this, mostly because I'm far from perfect and I need this reminder. But right now this is my course of action:

Pray. With God all things are possible. And He is the only thing that is fixed and eternal. Everything is subject to change, but His love for you and His promise to hear you is more solid than the ground you stand on. And He listens. Pray for guidance towards what's best for athletes, what's best for all, and what's best for the economy. That's all part of the daily bread He knows that we need.

Prepare for set backs. We still don't know all of the rules this virus plays by, so until we achieve a functioning vaccine that doesn't unintentionally turn us into hoards of the walking dead (worst case scenario), or until we have a functioning treatment, or until we have a real sketch of who has antibodies and how long this little monster has actually been in the U.S. life is just not going to feel normal. And it may never be the way it was completely.

Hope for the best. We're in a much different place than we were in late-February/early-March. The NCAA didn't see it coming, and most of us didn't see it coming. So at the time, the only real option we had was to shut the operations down. That won't be the case by September, I'm not saying life will be back to "gum drop mountain, but we should have a good sense of treatments that work well. Our testing is going to be like a well oiled machine, but we'll also be testing for antibodies, so we're going to have a solid sense of where we are, what medicine works, and what best practices are effective to prevent spread (breathing masks in public, temperature checks, etc). And who knows we could even have a vaccine by the early part of the new year. There's a lot of global minds being leveraged towards that right now. And while 12-18 months is the refrain, I believe it's because they don't want to write checks they can't cash. It's the old saying, "Under promise, so you can over deliver." And then at some point, we'll just have to realize that whether you are in the comfort of your home, driving, at work, life brings uncertain and uncontrollable risks. But for now, in so far as we are able, we do the things we can to mitigate the spread.

So I really do find myself agreeing with Chris Fowler: It's not "if" we have a season, but when and what will it look like?