• The KillerFrogs

Coach Samples expected to interview for LA Rams RB coach

SoonerFrogs

The Office Lol GIF
why are you even here?

ECM

He left you for TCU. He left TCU for the Super Bowl Champs. Sure, that's the same.
We got 3 years out of him. You got 3 months. Sonny builds a house of cards everywhere he goes, but even I didn’t think the cards would start wobbling this quickly in Fort Worth

FrogBall09

It's just weird for guys to take jobs at TCU and then go for other positions literally within a few months. If it were a TCU staffer who had been around and was waiting for the right opportunity, I'd understand.

Which goes alllllllllllll the way back to the players. Why get criticized for seeking a better opportunity when coaches are literally leaving the coaches room before the ink dried on their contracts.

Curious to know HC feelings towards this. If he expected it or if he's a bit baffled as well.

Just strange.
if Dykes was expecting this - then he should be the next one out the door for hiring guys he thought would leave this quickly to start....so I would assume he accepts it because he has no choice but is not happy about it.

Anyway you look at it - losing coaches is always hard but losing ones that just helped recruit new guys and before you have any track record of success to stabilize the program has got to be even harder...

East Coast

Tier 1
if Dykes was expecting this - then he should be the next one out the door for hiring guys he thought would leave this quickly to start....so I would assume he accepts it because he has no choice but is not happy about it.

Anyway you look at it - losing coaches is always hard but losing ones that just helped recruit new guys and before you have any track record of success to stabilize the program has got to be even harder...
There is no way Sonny Dykes expected Samples to move so quickly, but I'm sure he thought it was a good possibility after a year or two. That's what you get when you hire aggressive, hungry people.

Wexahu

There is no way Sonny Dykes expected Samples to move so quickly, but I'm sure he thought it was a good possibility after a year or two. That's what you get when you hire aggressive, hungry people.
Anyone who expected him to stay around for more than a year was kind of fooling themselves. His main asset was as a recruiter, at least that seemed to be the consensus, so he was here for one cycle and landed a few kids. No different then had he stayed around through the season and left in December 2022 to go somewhere else. All the kids he helped land will be free agents again next year and need to be re-recruited anyway so in that sense he didn't accomplish much of anything beneficial to the program, other than cost some boosters some money I suppose.

Oh well.

We got 3 years out of him. You got 3 months. Sonny builds a house of cards everywhere he goes, but even I didn’t think the cards would start wobbling this quickly in Fort Worth
This is certainly a unique situation with what transpired this past season - SMU spanking TCU and then TCU replacing its legendary coach with the victor’s lower tier coach. Superficially, it appears shallow and not a good look for the Horned Frogs - TCU deserves the SMU smack talk while Mustang fans are still sore and hoping for Sonny and staff and Horned Frog football to suffer. It is what it is and if Dykes and staff flop then the entire country might be doling out a bit of smack to TCU, especially if a bad 2022 season includes a loss to SMU this fall.

College GameDay might choose the SMU campus or someplace in DFW on Sept. 24 - maybe the biggest game that day is Arkansas vs Aggie, and that game is at Arlington, 7pm. o_O

Last edited:

FrogBall09

Anyone who expected him to stay around for more than a year was kind of fooling themselves. His main asset was as a recruiter, at least that seemed to be the consensus, so he was here for one cycle and landed a few kids. No different then had he stayed around through the season and left in December 2022 to go somewhere else. All the kids he helped land will be free agents again next year and need to be re-recruited anyway so in that sense he didn't accomplish much of anything beneficial to the program, other than cost some boosters some money I suppose.

Oh well.
Yeah it’s a lot different actually