• The KillerFrogs

Choke kings

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hmmm... 0 (Zero) free throws.

Don't blame Dirk, blame the NBA. The officials in that league have the integrity of a Cleveland pimp. And I may be doing a disservice to Cleveland pimps...

I quit the NBA years ago because the officiating was at a WWF level. Not worth my time to see fixed game after fixed game.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Hmmm... 0 (Zero) free throws.

Don't blame Dirk, blame the NBA. The officials in that league have the integrity of a Cleveland pimp. And I may be doing a disservice to Cleveland pimps...

I quit the NBA years ago because the officiating was at a WWF level. Not worth my time to see fixed game after fixed game.
Yeah, the two calls stand out pretty badly (the out-of-bounds review and the phantom Chandler foul). Games 3-6 in the Miami finals were horrendous. OTOH, Mavs make a couple of shots in the 8-minutes to 2-minutes left range in the fourth instead of bricking/turning over, and Portland doesn't complete the comback no matter what the refs did.

maximilian

The refs did Dallas no favors, specifically Chandler, but at the end of the day, the Mavs choked a 23 point lead away on Brandon Roy's fist (I'd allude to something else, but I'd be banned).

Having said all that, I gotta give it up to Roy. Everyone left him for dead after his multiple knee surgeries, so seeing him bounce back is a really good story; just sucks that it came at the Mavs expense.

2themax

To blame it on Dirk is absolutely ridiculous. Are you really watching the game? Dirk is a baller. Dirk is the reason this team is any good. Dirk isnt the problem. Dirk is one of 5 players to average 25 and 10 in the playoffs EVER. The problem is the your 2nd best player is Jason Terry who is inconsistent as hell. The problem is not Dirk, its that Dirk has no Robin. You can win a championship with Dirk as your best player, but not when his sidekicks are JET, and Jason Kidd...

Go back and look at the players Dirk has played with. He hasnt ever had anyone to help him out. Go back and look at the NBA Finals team, that group of players completely overachieved. For a long stretch there Josh Howard was the 2nd best player on this team, and we know that isnt getting you anywhere. It drives me up a wall when people want to blame Dirk.

Come on man, Dirk is Robin. The problem is Mavs don't have a Batman(alpha wolf). Stats don't mean jack if you can't ball at the end of close games & Mavs don't have that type of player. You guys need to stop trying to put him in the NBA superstar category. Only a handful of those out there(K Bryant, D Wade, L James, D Howard, K Durant). Would you trade any of these guys for Dirk? If so, I got a hen that lays golden eggs I'll sell ya.

2themax

Wrong again. Dirks' recent career stats in the "clutch", if you wanna call it that, are better than Kobes'; source, NBA TV:

pennyiiis004.jpg

pennyiiis006.jpg

And for fun, here's LeBron & Wade too:
pennyiiis003.jpg

wade.jpg

So Dirk has made a whopping 2 fewer "clutch" shots than Kobe since 06-07, and has done it in 13 fewer shots. Wade and LeBron COMBINED have made 14 out of 84 clutch shots.

So yeah, you're absolutely 100% wrong that Dirk Nowitzki isn't clutch. They need to get him the damn ball, end of story.

2themax

Oh yeah!! You forgot 1 more stat...............Rings Dirk=000,Kobe=5,Wade=1. D Wade played with a team full of knuckleheads & w/o a pt guard with his team down 0-3 & still managed to best Dirk. You can keep running headfirst into that brick wall with Dirk. I'll just sit back & watch.

2themax

Disagree. Dirk leads by example. He isnt going to be out there yelling and talking noise like Kevin Garnett. He lets his play speak for himself. Not his fault the rest of the bums on the team dont want to follow.
I see him yelling, but it's at the refs.

masterfrog

This topic is like crickets after the Mavs win game 5. If they win the series, I wonder if some of these people will come back and change their opinion. It is the Spurs who are down 3-1 to the 8 seed. I think the Mavs are holding course. As the three seed, this is the only series that the Mavs are expected to win. One win out of the next two games and they will have met expectations.

2themax

Everybody knows the playoffs are a totally different creature than the regular season Maxy. Defenses are much more tighter and physical, so how can you say Dirk is better when D Wade at 6-4 spends more time in the lane than he does at 7ft? Difference between you and I is I'm a basketball fan, you're a Dirk fan. I feel for you dude. That's got to be painful. I just don't like 7ft jumpshooters.

hometown frog

Keep telling yourself that Dirk is not a star. Keep saying it. Maybe it will come true.

I still say if he wasn't Euro (wont really go down the white aspect) then he would easily be put on a higher plateu by the general fan base and considered a bigger star. Fact remains he's got better numbers than anybody else in the league right now (and top 10 in the history of the league) in the playoffs, in ellimination games and in the final 10 seconds of games. Cannot argue with the numbers. Robin doesn't come big like that. Batman does. Its just the Robins that they have put around Dirk always fall out of the Batmobile and get caught up in the tires and run them off the road....

2themax

This topic is like crickets after the Mavs win game 5. If they win the series, I wonder if some of these people will come back and change their opinion. It is the Spurs who are down 3-1 to the 8 seed. I think the Mavs are holding course. As the three seed, this is the only series that the Mavs are expected to win. One win out of the next two games and they will have met expectations.

In case you forgot, Portland is a 6 seed. They are supposed to lose to Dallas. It's not the Final and B Roy who is coming off of multiple injuries is their best player. My opinion won't change until Dirk leads them to the Final's crown. He is the leader right?

OmniscienceFrog

D Wade played with a team full of knuckleheads & w/o a pt guard with his team down 0-3 & still managed to best Dirk.

He did have Bennett Salvatore though. Also, he was only down 0-2.

Dog him all you want, but Dirk is not the reason the Mavericks haven't won a championship.

2themax

Patrick Ewing never got that NBA title either. It doesn't mean he wasn't one of the greatest players in NBA history though.

I wouldn't trade Ewing for Dirk either, because P Ewing was a true ctr and Dirk isn't even listed at the position. Besides, it's 2 different eras. Old NBA adage is you live by the jumper and you die by the jumper. Did I spell that right?

OmniscienceFrog

I just don't like 7ft jumpshooters.

Yeah, all one of 'em. There might be more if there were any other capable of being successful at it. I guess they invite him to the All-Star game every year out of sympathy.

I wouldn't be questioning anybody else's knowledge of basketball if I were you.

masterfrog

In case you forgot, Portland is a 6 seed. They are supposed to lose to Dallas. It's not the Final and B Roy who is coming off of multiple injuries is their best player. My opinion won't change until Dirk leads them to the Final's crown. He is the leader right?
The problem with that logic is that if I am correct, Dallas has only been a #1 seed in the West one time. They have played in one NBA Finals, which is exactly how many appearances they should have. Now that was not the year they were a #1 seed, but nonetheless it still represents that the team should only have advanced to the finals one time.

2themax

He did have Bennett Salvatore though. Also, he was only down 0-2.

Dog him all you want, but Dirk is not the reason the Mavericks haven't won a championship.

You call it dogging, but I'm just being real about the Mavs & Dirk. Quit expecting something new from the same old situation. Dirk has given you all he has & that's it. Mavs won't win a Finals with him as lead dog. He has had different teammates,opponents,coaches, owners, & even ref crews, but he is still the common denominator. Let it go.

OmniscienceFrog

You call it dogging, but I'm just being real about the Mavs & Dirk. Quit expecting something new from the same old situation. Dirk has given you all he has & that's it. Mavs won't win a Finals with him as lead dog. He has had different teammates,opponents,coaches, owners, & even ref crews, but he is still the common denominator. Let it go.

Do YOU want to let it go? It's fine with me. Just do it.

2themax

Yeah, all one of 'em. There might be more if there were any other capable of being successful at it. I guess they invite him to the All-Star game every year out of sympathy.

I wouldn't be questioning anybody else's knowledge of basketball if I were you.

No need to get personal Omni. Don't go Aggy on me. I was stating that we have different point of views as to Dirk's ability. You see him as being the best Mav and I'm saying compared to the league it's not saying much. And by the way that "all of one " is still more than what your guy has. Fans have a say in the All-Star voting. Need I say more?

frogtwang

How did you determine your "superstar" list? Clearly not Championship rings since Lebron has 0, Dwight has 0, and Durant has 0.

If you're not going to go by stats then how do you determine who can or can't "ball" at he end of close games?

Dirk is one of the best players currently and throughout the history of the League. How can anyone deny that?