• The KillerFrogs

Championship week game thread

CountryFrog

When you are an East Division team losses to West division teams count toward the conference standings. Of course it makes a difference. Those other East teams have an easier path almost every year.

Gig em!!
Really? Do you think I don't understand how conference W-L records are compiled? I didn't say it doesn't count as a loss but you can still beat the other teams in your division and thereby win your division.

It's not like Tennessee is winning a lot of other games. They've been mostly terrible the last 15-20 years. I don't know who else in the SEC West they could be playing every year instead of Bama that they definitely would've been piling up a lot of wins against. Maybe Arkansas?

Wexahu

Really? Do you think I don't understand how conference W-L records are compiled? I didn't say it doesn't count as a loss but you can still beat the other teams in your division and thereby win your division.

It's not like Tennessee is winning a lot of other games. They've been mostly terrible the last 15-20 years. I don't know who else in the SEC West they could be playing every year instead of Bama that they definitely would've been piling up a lot of wins against. Maybe Arkansas?

I figured you did, you’re no dummy. But it’s like if TCU had to play OU every year and Baylor had to play them a couple times a decade, that would have major implications on the two programs IMO.

CountryFrog

I just think the conference championship game thing is a bit overrated. They are mostly made for TV games. I don’t think a 8-1 team that is clearly better than a 7-2 team should be downgraded or disqualified just because they didn’t make a CCG.

As for a team like OSU, who is [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ting the bed right now, I can see how it’s BS that they’ve only played 6 games. But they haven’t backed out of any of them, that’s kind of BS too. I don’t think it’s just coincidence that teams get COVID issues the week of the OSU game.

It’s just a messed up year.
Oh the CCG is 100% a made for TV event. But the reality is that the entire sport has pretty much become that. All the more reason to expand the CFP and create more of those big TV events.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I figured you did, you’re no dummy. But it’s like if TCU had to play OU every year and Baylor had to play them a couple times a decade, that would have major implications on the two programs IMO.
Again, it's a moronic scheduling model. Totally agree. But Florida has been able to still build their program back up after Urban left it in ruins despite their annual game with LSU.

And I will once again ask who in the West do you think Tennessee could be playing ever year instead that they would've been beating with great regularity? They have to play someone over there and almost all of those teams have been better than them for the last decade.

Wexahu

Again, it's a moronic scheduling model. Totally agree. But Florida has been able to still build their program back up after Urban left it in ruins despite their annual game with LSU.

And I will once again ask who in the West do you think Tennessee could be playing ever year instead that they would've been beating with great regularity? They have to play someone over there and almost all of those teams have been better than them for the last decade.

Arkansas and they’d have a good chance of beating the Mississippi schools. We’re making more of this than it is, Tennessee obviously has their issues that have been self-inflicted.

Philip Folmer was probably a hell of a coach,

froginmn

Well, one of those losses you can. I think it’s harder for a program like that to get momentum when you’re running up against that wall every year and the teams you are trying to beat aren’t.

Not really trying to make an excuse for them (well, maybe I kind of am) but I think that’s a [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ty hand they’ve been dealt.
Well, let's take a closer look. Since 2008 Tennessee has lost 4 games twice, 5 games once, and every other year they've lost at least 6.

They have eight losing seasons during that time period. If you took away one loss each year because Alabama, they'd have seven losing seasons in that time.

Seriously, playing Alabama hasn't been the problem. The problem is that they suck.