• The KillerFrogs

CFP Rankings Dec 15

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Agree with this sentence that is why we're not ranked which I said in my original reply to you.

And as far as rankings go I can absolutely guarantee you that the "gift fumble" back in week 2 was not a discussion point among the committee as to why we're not ranked. So bringing it up in relation to rankings is as relevant as that pick 6 against K-State or any other turnover during the course of the season that went for or against us which was the only point I was actually trying to make.

I can’t guarantee anything, but I’m guessing TCU likely wasn’t discussed much if at all by the committee...

CountryFrog

I can’t guarantee anything, but I’m guessing TCU likely wasn’t discussed much if at all by the committee...
Very possible. Although I'd think the fact that they ranked two teams we beat would've made us at least some type of a topic of conversation. They would've had to discuss losing to TCU and what that means. So who knows what else that leads to.

As I said earlier, go look at teams 22 - 25 and tell me what any of them have done that's impressive at all. They just have records that look better than 6-4. Which of course is not irrelevant so I'm not trying to minimize W-L record. But in this crazy year how do you even compare one team's 5 game schedule to another team's 10 game schedule?

GenXFrog

Considering that we are a gift fumble away from being 5-5, not being ranked doesn’t seem to be that shocking. Not that being 6-4 is a glowing endorsement for a ranking either.

I'm unstressed about our ranking, or lack thereof, this year. As disappointing as the first half of the season was, I still got most of the victory bragging rights I needed. ;-) Damn OU.

My comment was more toward the decision process regarding the top 4, year in, year out.

Wexahu

May not be wrong.

Before complaining, the least they could do is beef up their OOC schedules, but they really don't. Cincinnati was supposed to play Austin Peay, Western Michigan, Miami (OH) and Nebraska in their OOC this year. As it stands, they only played Austin Peay. And zero P5 schools. If they want to level the playing field, at the very least drop the FCS game and the MAC schools.

To his point though, it was much easier for a Cincy to win a national title, or finish in the Top 5, under the BCS system. And it'd be that much harder if they expand the playoffs further, whether they use a BCS ranking system or not. By far the easiest way for Cincy to finish ahead of the very best teams in the country in the rankings is to not have to play them, like BYU in 1984.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Before complaining, the least they could do is beef up their OOC schedules, but they really don't. Cincinnati was supposed to play Austin Peay, Western Michigan, Miami (OH) and Nebraska in their OOC this year. As it stands, they only played Austin Peay. And zero P5 schools. If they want to level the playing field, at the very least drop the FCS game and the MAC schools.

To his point though, it was much easier for a Cincy to win a national title, or finish in the Top 5, under the BCS system. And it'd be that much harder if they expand the playoffs further, whether they use a BCS ranking system or not. By far the easiest way for Cincy to finish ahead of the very best teams in the country in the rankings is to not have to play them, like BYU in 1984.
Sounds a bit like the arguments everyone made against TCU prior to the Big 12 invite...

But I’m not really responding to the Cincy angle, just the fairness angle. Had a BCS system been in place in 2014, we probably would not have dropped. But then, maybe we wouldn’t have been as high. But if the same teams keep showing up in the CFP, I’m guessing national interest is going to ebb.

Jackson

I’m not really responding to the Cincy angle, just the fairness angle. Had a BCS system been in place in 2014, we probably would not have dropped. But then, maybe we wouldn’t have been as high. But if the same teams keep showing up in the CFP, I’m guessing national interest is going to ebb.
Or they could take Ohio State’s approach and play ZERO non-conference games and 60% of the number of games all other Playoff Contenders have played. Doesn’t really matter the Selection Committee will tweek the selection criteria any way necessary in Ohio State’s favor!

Wexahu

But if the same teams keep showing up in the CFP, I’m guessing national interest is going to ebb.

Just have to beat them. Clemson is 63-2 over the past five years. Alabama is 72-5 over the past 6 years. I think it's really those two teams that people are sick of (as I am), but it's not like they haven't earned everything they have.

People complain when there is a semi-final game that isn't all that compelling, and there's a really good chance an Alabama-Cincinnati game would be over by halftime. So people are just going to complain no matter what. It is what it is. But if anyone is tired of Alabama and Clemson, put them on the schedule and go beat them, that would go a long way.

Wexahu

Or they could take Ohio State’s approach and play ZERO non-conference games and 60% of the number of games all other Playoff Contenders have played. Doesn’t really matter the Selection Committee will tweek the selection criteria any way necessary in Ohio State’s favor!

Yeah, like they did in 2015, 2017 and 2018 when OSU went 34-4 and didn't make one playoff. The committee is just going to do everything they can to get OSU in! LOL

I can't imagine what TCU fans would be saying if we had a 3-year stretch where we went 34-4 and didn't make a playoff.

LSU Game Attendee

Morans should be arguing to expand the CFP to 6 or 8, not for BCS.
morans.jpg

CountryFrog

Yeah, like they did in 2015, 2017 and 2018 when OSU went 34-4 and didn't make one playoff. The committee is just going to do everything they can to get OSU in! LOL

I can't imagine what TCU fans would be saying if we had a 3-year stretch where we went 34-4 and didn't make a playoff.
We're never seen this argument from you before. Thanks for bringing lots of new info to the table.

Zubaz

Aresco is totally right that it's a rigged game, but coming from the commish of the American Conference it sounds more like longing for the good-ole-days when he was inside the cartel / sour grapes that they were kicked out of the cartel rather than any real concerns over "fairness". When they were the Big East, they had absolutely no problem with #12 Cincinnati getting an Orange Bowl invite while Top 10 Boise and TCU were playing in the San Diego County Credit Union.com.org/index.htm Poinsettia Bowl. They had no problem with 8-4 unranked UConn getting a Fiesta Bowl bid while legit national title contender Boise was stuck in the Las Vegas Bowl because of one missed kick. It stinks when the shoe is on the other foot and now you're the one getting hosed, doesn't it?