• The KillerFrogs

CFP Rankings Dec 15

Fosterpark Squatter

Fun fact TCU has wins over 2 ranked teams (more than Ohio State currently) and a "quality loss" to Number 6. Cincy also may be getting worse treatment than 14 TCU though at least they weren't teased with a temporary top 3 ranking.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

You could make a very good case for us deserving to be ranked somewhere in the 20's even with the 4 losses. If we hadn't totally wet the bed against K-State then we'd probably be around 17 or 18.

GenXFrog

CFP rankings are a joke. All the alleged rules, written or not, that we've heard over the years are no more than pablum for the masses...

The only real rule is - the most eyes / biggest fan bases win. There is no past scenario where that rule was untrue. Can't say that for the eye test, 13th data point, or any other rules we've been fed over the years given these rankings..

It's time to expand the playoff. There is no intellectually honest reason not to.

mwe2187

Quick thoughts:

1) How are we not ranked? (then i remember how bad we looked, even in some wins. But clearly the committee doesn't watch many games outside of Bama, Clemson and OSU). We should at least be in the 20's considering how bad Texas is

2) Iowa State at 6th is odd to me, being that in 2014 we beat them 52-3 (maybe off on score?) and fell to 6. They could win saturday and jump to 4, over Ohio State (would be funny... and painful)

3) USC is getting the crap end of the stick tbh. Better SOS, technically better W's (apparently) and have same number of games played, yet are 9 spots back? How they dont have an undefeated P12 champ in, idk - i get the conference is weak, but still.

4) Big 12 gets 2 NY6 bowls with an OU win, but an ISU win likely knocks out OU.

Eight

How is Florida still 7?!

because......do you really think any of this matters?

have you not learned that only one ranking matters and every other one before has the sole purpose of generating angst and conversation?

here is the committee leaving after their last brainstorming session

images

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
CFP rankings are a joke. All the alleged rules, written or not, that we've heard over the years are no more than pablum for the masses...

The only real rule is - the most eyes / biggest fan bases win. There is no past scenario where that rule was untrue. Can't say that for the eye test, 13th data point, or any other rules we've been fed over the years given these rankings..

It's time to expand the playoff. There is no intellectually honest reason not to.

Considering that we are a gift fumble away from being 5-5, not being ranked doesn’t seem to be that shocking. Not that being 6-4 is a glowing endorsement for a ranking either.

CountryFrog

Considering that we are a gift fumble away from being 5-5, not being ranked doesn’t seem to be that shocking. Not that being 6-4 is a glowing endorsement for a ranking either.
So tired of hearing about the "gift fumble" away from losing a game. It was a stupid argument the day of the game and is just completely useless now in terms of rankings discussion.

And for the record before I get blasted as purple glasses wearer I don't think that we SHOULD be ranked. I do think you can make a pretty good argument though for it if you look at the fact we beat 20 and 21 and then look at the resumes of 22 - 25. Nothing impressive about any of those 4 teams at all, they just happen to have decent records. And when you're 6-4 then it is what it is.

Of course we're just a gift pick 6 away from being 7-3...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So tired of hearing about the "gift fumble" away from losing a game. It was a stupid argument the day of the game and is just completely useless now in terms of rankings discussion.

And for the record before I get blasted as purple glasses wearer I don't think that we SHOULD be ranked. I do think you can make a pretty good argument though for it if you look at the fact we beat 20 and 21 and then look at the resumes of 22 - 25. Nothing impressive about any of those 4 teams at all, they just happen to have decent records. And when you're 6-4 then it is what it is.

Of course we're just a gift pick 6 away from being 7-3...

Which gift interception was thrown at the end of the game that would have resulted in a score had it been complete for the win?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Kansas St.

That was as much of a game deciding "gift" as our fumble against Texas, which is to say that it wasn't at all.
Hardly even similar.

That happened in the third quarter and we had plenty of time to counter it. Hardly a taking a victory from the jaws of defeat moment like the Texas fumble.

CountryFrog

Hardly even similar.

That happened in the third quarter and we had plenty of time to counter it. Hardly a taking a victory from the jaws of defeat moment like the Texas fumble.
So I guess you don't remember that there were over 2 minutes in the clock and we had 3 timeouts and only would've needed a FG to go to OT and TD to win even if Texas had scored there. And it wasn't like Texas had been stopping us that day. I believe we had around 450 yards on the day and that's including the large negative yardage we took willingly at the end in the safety. Before that we had outgained them by about 100 yards.

And of course you're assuming that they would've scored a TD on that drive. As if it's just totally impossible that we could've stopped them. Maybe they get a penalty and back them up before getting in and never score there. There were like 96 penalties called that day.

Not to mention the fact that we had outplayed them the whole game. So if they did get the one more yard and did hang on to win then they would've been the ones getting the gift. Not us.

But sure if you ignore all of that then they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So I guess you don't remember that there were over 2 minutes in the clock and we had 3 timeouts and only would've needed a FG to win even if Texas had scored there. And it wasn't like Texas had been stopping us that day. I believe we had around 450 yards on the day and that's including the large negative yardage we took willingly at the end in the safety. Before that we had outgained them by about 100 yards.

And of course you're assuming that they would've scored a TD on that drive. As if it's just totally impossible that we could've stopped them. Maybe they get a penalty and back them up before getting in and never score there. There were like 96 penalties called that day.

Not to mention the fact that we had outplayed them the whole game. So if they did get the one more yard and did hang on to win then they would've been the ones getting the gift. Not us.

But sure if you ignore all of that then they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

You win if you actually think the odds of TCU going the length of the field and kicking a field goal are better than someone with at least 4 chances of scoring from the one.

The entire point of the discussion was about why a 6-4 team wasn’t ranked. In spite of you taking offense at gifted fumbles, I don’t find it unusual that a 6-4 team isn’t ranked.

CountryFrog

The entire point of the discussion was about why a 6-4 team wasn’t ranked
Agree with this sentence that is why we're not ranked which I said in my original reply to you.

And as far as rankings go I can absolutely guarantee you that the "gift fumble" back in week 2 was not a discussion point among the committee as to why we're not ranked. So bringing it up in relation to rankings is as relevant as that pick 6 against K-State or any other turnover during the course of the season that went for or against us which was the only point I was actually trying to make.