• The KillerFrogs

CFP MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE INITIATES REVIEW OF WORKING GROUP RECOMMENDATION

Independence and the money it brings will always far outweigh the chance at getting a bye in the CFP every now and then. No way will ND ever join a conference.

What they will do is whine incessantly about how unfair the system is to them any and every time that they have an 11 or 12 win season.

I think they like even not having a bye. It's a playoff game they can win (and possibly at their home stadium). It will be like a conference championship game for them.

Last edited:

Showtime Joe 2.0

The NCAA basketball tournament no doubt waters down their regular season. It took some time, but more and more people are realizing games between top teams between Nov-Feb don't really matter. To have teams that finished 6th or 7th in their 12 team league making the tournament is just dumb.

That's what is cool about college football. It's almost the only team sport left where it's literally a season-long championship. If a team wants to win it all, every single game in the season is critical. Everyone is so conditioned to "playoffs" in sports, but there is nothing wrong with letting the season decide a champion. I get that in college football with there being so many teams not playing each other throughout the season you need to have some kind of limited playoff to make it fair, but for god sakes you don't need 12 teams.
The days of "letting the season decide a champion" are over. But the regular season will still matter because it will determine which four teams get a first-round bye as well as seeding for all 12 of the teams that make the cut.

And since you don't like to see the sport "watered down," have you noticed lately how bowl games, including some upper-tier ones, have been increasingly watered down by the absence of so many quality players skipping them to prepare for the NFL draft? Under the proposed 12-team playoff system, you'll have 12 teams instead of just four every year where their regular-season rosters will remain fully intact in the post-season. I can't see any player jumping ship even on a 12th-seeded playoff team.

Eight

Independence and the money it brings will always far outweigh the chance at getting a bye in the CFP every now and then. No way will ND ever join a conference.

What they will do is whine incessantly about how unfair the system is to them any and every time that they have an 11 or 12 win season.

there is a way and it is quite simple

the cfp committee include the requirement that all participants in the cfp must be part of a d1 conference

as pointed out they are in a conference for other sports so they aren't completely opposed to it. they simply want things their way and scheiss them, college football is bigger than notre dame, college football has grown without nd being relevant, and more importantly it would scheiss byu over again

CountryFrog

there is a way and it is quite simple

the cfp committee include the requirement that all participants in the cfp must be part of a d1 conference

as pointed out they are in a conference for other sports so they aren't completely opposed to it. they simply want things their way and scheiss them, college football is bigger than notre dame, college football has grown without nd being relevant, and more importantly it would scheiss byu over again
While I personally 100% agree with the sentiment it would shock me if the system was ever changed in a way that would really force ND's hand like that. I'd love if it does happen though.

Eight

While I personally 100% agree with the sentiment it would shock me if the system was ever changed in a way that would really force ND's hand like that. I'd love if it does happen though.

this past year with nd in the acc showed you could have then in a conference and the world didn't end, there was some actual interest in acc play outside clemson, and the college football world didn't collapse

YA

I think it's great that some three-loss football teams will make the playoffs under the new system. I would be ecstatic if a 10-3 TCU team did so in a given year. Wouldn't you be?

You should rejoice, Wex, along with every other college football fan!
I not wex but I will answer for him

1. No, he doesn't think any team with losses should be in the playoff unless they are big 10 or sec
2. Wex doesn't rejoice, he complains and keeps up the bs front on whatever subject till the other folks give up with his hardheadedness

Wexahu

I not wex but I will answer for him

1. No, he doesn't think any team with losses should be in the playoff unless they are big 10 or sec
2. Wex doesn't rejoice, he complains and keeps up the bs front on whatever subject till the other folks give up with his hardheadedness

Well, I'm clearly in your head, that wasn't my intention.

For the record, you're wrong on #1, I'd prefer they keep it like it is, or at the most expand to 8 teams. Couldn't give a rat's ass about conference representation. If TCU isn't in it, I'd probably prefer no Big 12 teams make the playoff unless it's maybe an Iowa State or WVU. Cheering for OU, Texas or Baylor.....I'll never do that. Would love to see the SEC or Big 10 left out if it was the right call.

As for #2 and complaining, what has everyone here been doing nonstop about the CFP since December 2014?

Lots of projecting going on as well (as it has in the past). I remember hearing how the CFP committee would NEVER EVER leave the Big 10 out of the playoff, and then they did it not once, but two years in a row! LOL! 2014 basically made people lose their minds.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
The days of "letting the season decide a champion" are over. But the regular season will still matter because it will determine which four teams get a first-round bye as well as seeding for all 12 of the teams that make the cut.

And since you don't like to see the sport "watered down," have you noticed lately how bowl games, including some upper-tier ones, have been increasingly watered down by the absence of so many quality players skipping them to prepare for the NFL draft? Under the proposed 12-team playoff system, you'll have 12 teams instead of just four every year where their regular-season rosters will remain fully intact in the post-season. I can't see any player jumping ship even on a 12th-seeded playoff team.
Very excited to have full rosters for the top 12 teams playing in the bowl games. I think that's my favorite takeaway of the 12 team playoff(other than TCU having a lot better chance to make it in).

Wexahu

Very excited to have full rosters for the top 12 teams playing in the bowl games. I think that's my favorite takeaway of the 12 team playoff(other than TCU having a lot better chance to make it in).

We'll see players skipping out on the playoffs, I think that is inevitable. Heard some TV or radio guys discussing that same thing yesterday, can't remember which outlet. Hell, Jamaar Chase skipped his entire junior season.

That's kind of irrelevant to whether it's 4 or 12 teams in the playoff though.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
We'll see players skipping out on the playoffs, I think that is inevitable. Heard some TV or radio guys discussing that same thing yesterday, can't remember which outlet. Hell, Jamaar Chase skipped his entire junior season.

That's kind of irrelevant to whether it's 4 or 12 teams in the playoff though.
Jamaar Chase seems like a bad example on this point. He skipped during a covid year where there were quite a few players who opted out of the season. Had it been a normal year, NFL execs wouldn't just be ok with a guy skipping a year. This year all players had an out for COVID. Jamaar had nothing to gain from playing with a new QB in a shortened season during the pandemic.

Wexahu

Jamaar Chase seems like a bad example on this point. He skipped during a covid year where there were quite a few players who opted out of the season. Had it been a normal year, NFL execs wouldn't just be ok with a guy skipping a year. This year all players had an out for COVID. Jamaar had nothing to gain from playing with a new QB in a shortened season during the pandemic.

If a kid is big, strong, fast and a great football player NFL execs won't care. I'd be shocked if the trend doesn't continue more and more.

Hell, UT has a recruit that is sitting out his senior season of high school. Last I checked they haven't pulled his scholarship offer, and if they do, teams will probably be lining up to sign him.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
If a kid is big, strong, fast and a great football player NFL execs won't care. I'd be shocked if the trend doesn't continue more and more.

Hell, UT has a recruit that is sitting out his senior season of high school. Last I checked they haven't pulled his scholarship offer, and if they do, teams will probably be lining up to sign him.
Sounds like that guy is suited for UT. Country club football program over there. But again if it wasn't for COVID that was a situation that wouldn't have happened. Not saying there won't be guys opt out of full seasons in the future but I would bet that they are looked at differently by the NFL than someone who opted out for COVID.