• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: New playoff setup eliminates have-nots, doesn't quite solve the problem

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
CBS Sports: New playoff setup eliminates have-nots, doesn't quite solve the problem

By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist

How did we get here? A playoff, really? Wasn't it just last week that Bill Hancock was telling us that a playoff was as close to reality as Jimmy Kimmel was to humor?

I've got a BCS media guide less than a year old with this quote from Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy: "I like the Bowl Championship Series because it gives every team a chance to be rewarded for having a good season."

That quote failed to make it all the way to Boise, Idaho, for some reason.

That's why when they actually announced an honest-to-Delany playoff on Tuesday, it really did seem like it happened overnight. It wasn't too long ago when BCS strategist Ari Fleischer was hired, that he dismissed it as a playoff scheme.

"[A playoff] would be contentious," George W's former press secretary explained, "and create a whole new level of frustration between fans and teams." ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19427810/new-playoff-setup-eliminates-havenots-doesnt-quite-solve-the-problem

Atomic Frawg

I am SOOO glad we got in before this fiasco. The new system is still elitist and a sham, and for teams on the outside looking in, it gives you even less opportunity and nonAQ conferences get pennies on the dollar compared to the AQs. My offering: Stop or reduce non-conference games, then use a 16-team playoff seeding EVERY conference champion and plus the next top four schools (last time I checked there were 12 conferences), and keep all the games as regional as possible. Other teams utilize the bowls, and corporations sponsor the playoff games to give bowl "feel" (for LRBCHCGMFP). Not perfect, but it starts from a position of fairness, and they could make it work if they wanted. But, like I said, glad we don't have to worry about this mess anymore.

Kaiser

Good article. The new system sucks. Hopefully it sucks slightly less than the old system. I think it's more of a BCS 2.0 than a playoff.

bronco

Still many problems but a step in the right direction. I still don't like the idea of a month passing between the end of the regular season and the play-offs.​

Atomic Frawg

Eight teams, the big six conference champs and two at-large. Please.
I don't really like that model. If they aren't gonna consider all conference champions, then create another division. To not consider nonAQ champs means that legacy becomes a factor due to rankings, ie you won't climb high enough in the rankings unless a class ahead of yours does well. You never can tell when you'll have a special team that, for whatever reason, just works. To deny that team, even if from the WAC, MWC, etc, at least a shot isn't right. If not automatically put in the playoffs, they would never get in with only two at large bids. You really want to make every game count? Open up with conference play and eliminate games against FCS schools, keep maybe one slot for non-conference games (rivalry games) and use that time for playoff games.

Kaiser

Since we are all proposing playoff models now...

16 teams. All 10 conference champs are automatic. (the WAC is disappearing) Top 6 ranked at larges using some kind of improved & transparent BCS formula or RPI. Committee seeds the teams. Highest seed hosts. NC game is bid out or just played in the Rose Bowl every friggin year. Revenue is distributed exactly the same as they do with the NCAA basketball tourney.

weklfrog

I would say the 6 highest ranked conference champs (including CUSA, MWC, etc.) and 2 at-large.
I like that approach. It doesn't theoretically lock any conferences out, or give automatic slots to conferences that do poorly. And while a lessor conference champion could get in as an at-large, it would be difficult.

Atomic Frawg

Since we are all proposing playoff models now...

16 teams. All 10 conference champs are automatic. (the WAC is disappearing) Top 6 ranked at larges using some kind of improved & transparent BCS formula or RPI. Committee seeds the teams. Highest seed hosts. NC game is bid out or just played in the Rose Bowl every friggin year. Revenue is distributed exactly the same as they do with the NCAA basketball tourney.
Now you're talking.

TCUdirtbag

Eight teams, the big six conference champs and two at-large. Please.

There is no "big 6." The ACC will e lucky if there's a "big 5."

The big east was kicked to the curb after the big 12 and ACC gutted if (especially after te WVU move). Nobody can honestly say that the new big east is close to the level of the big 5, much less the big 4.

Thank god we got a life raft off that sinking ship.

bscttyb

I like a 6 team model. Top 4 conference champs based on RPI then seed them 1-4 by end of the year rank, then 2 at large, this will give the little guys a chance if they go undefeated.

Sammy11

I like a 6 team model. Top 4 conference champs based on RPI then seed them 1-4 by end of the year rank, then 2 at large, this will give the little guys a chance if they go undefeated.

IMO the only "fair" way is a flexible system. Simply following the following rules gets it right almost every time.

1- All unbeatens are in. See if there are two teams with SOS in the top 50.
2- If fewer than two teams meet the SOS criteria- include the 1 loss teams with SOS better than 80. Now see if there are two teams with SOS in the top 50.
3- Keep repeating this process with the 2 and 3 loss schools until 2 qualifying teams have a top 50 SOS.
4- Bracket the teams you find. Lowest ranked teams play more.

How it turns out:

2009-
Bama vs winner of TCU/Boise
Texas vs Cincy
Winners play

2010-
Auburn gets winner of TCU/Oregon

2011-
LSU vs Stanford
Alabama vs Ok St

Won't ever happen but gets it mostly right.